Isaac
Years ago

Exum out indefinitely with partially torn patellar tendon

Unlucky run continues.

Topic #44969 | Report this topic

Joshuapending  
Years ago

Just saw this. Devastating for him, he just can't get a run at it. If you think he has elite talent or not, he deserves the right to really find out if he can mix it with the best.

Reply #738199 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Will he be ready for the Boomers when we need him?

Reply #738202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't see him playing for boomers in 2019, if he even got fit it would be stupid to risk ruining his nba season. The mans an injury waiting to happen.

Reply #738211 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I feel bad for him I don't think he will ever realise his full potential with his injury history.

Possibly opens the door for a 2019 World cup spot.

Reply #738231 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Exum's been ruled out for the rest of the season and as OKC's Andre Roberson has missed the entire season due to the same injury it would be highly unlikely he would be available for the Boomers this year.

Reply #738237 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

USA just wants him out of the world cup.

Reply #738257 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Hate to say it, but might end up seeing Exum in the NBL sooner rather than later. The scheduling likely would be a lot better on his body.

Reply #738276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately Exum's NBA career is done. Plagued with season ending injuries time and time again he's had little chance to prove himself in the NBA outside of a decent summer league performance, and he was also drafted much higher than he should've been. If his stars align he MIGHT get a Euro chance, but I'm tipping he'll be in the NBL very soon.

Reply #738285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Done very well for himself after just one decent junior tournament, how many millions in bank? His body just not up to rigours of NBA, funny that Ingles that was brought in to be mate and security blanket has had immensely better career.
I remember hearing kid who'd played him in juniors say he wasn't that great before draft and cheated system by hiding himself away, maybe it's karma. Or dare say it's Gazes revenge for dunking on old man

Reply #738297 | Report this post

scopes44  
Years ago

Bad news for the kid. Only 23 yo has signed a 3 year contract in July last year. He will play in NBA again, but how will he go? This has got to take its toll on him mentally.
I wont write off someone who has signed a 3 year contact this past year. He will be with Utah until they decide to pay him out or waive him.
NBL season or two might just be the ticket, less games and opportunity to sign after the season with Euro or NBA opportunities.

Reply #738298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he leaves for nbl or Europe he won't head back to NBA. Boguts situation is different in that he's a 7 foot defensive veteran. Not too many looking at Bairstow even though that's an asterisk with injury. 6 6 guards come and go in league, being that high a pick saved him probably along with defence. And he's probably there to keep Ingles happy, complete reversal from when he was drafted. But once guards leave they don't come back. Europe for sure.

Reply #738553 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Exum's still got 2 years $19.2M remaining on his contract with the Jazz.

Reply #738571 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"I remember hearing kid who'd played him in juniors say he wasn't that great before draft"

Hold on, Exum made the All-tournament team in both the U17 world championships (where he led Australia to silver as our best player by far, in a team that included Ben Simmons) and the U19 world championships. He also scored 16 points in the Nike Hoop Summit for the world team. His strategy to hide away definitely helped him in the draft, and it seems the time away from competition probably hurt his development.

Reply #738822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Comparatively speaking about he wasn't that great. Yes a good junior, but not the NBA all star he was being refered to heading into draft. All being said he got paid, has enough time on current contract to recuperate and earn another one. In right place at right time unlike Isaiah Thomas, going from mvp calibre season at boston to now falling out of rotation at denver and that brinks truck ain't backing up.

Reply #738830 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Because the "kid who played against him in juniors" was such a good judge of talent he could tell that an opponents ceiling was back up PG? Someone get this kid a scout deal.

Exum has had a horrid run with injuries, but people predicting he'll be in the NBL soon are kidding themselves. He's got 2 more seasons after this one on his current contract and his goal is to get fit and be a good rotation player by the final year. Anything approaching that sees him get another 3-4 year deal, maybe not on the per season money he's on now but, certainly better than any NBL deal by a wide margin.

There's been guys with horrible luck with injuries that have gone on to have good careers once they've gotten their body right.

A good example is Shaun Livingston. He was a #4 overall pick who struggled to make his mark and had a horrible run of injuries until he was 28. He then became an important cog in one of the greatest teams in history.

People here seem to want Aussie players to fail. The old "Player (X) will be back in the NBL soon" gets trotted out the moment someone sits a game through injury or DNP-CD.

Reply #738832 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

I think saying that people here want Aussie players to fail is a gross overreaction and not entirely tied in with the "playing in the NBL" type of comments... That sort of thing is the same as "Import (X) should naturalise because he's awesome and could play on the Boomers!" - It's just wanting to build the NBL up and have quality players down here, but isn't actually realistic...

It's good that Dante has two years left on his current contract as hopefully that gives him the time he needs (with a supportive team) to get his body properly right... I however agree with the above comments that he was really very lucky to have been drafted as high as he was, hopefully that tactic of hiding him away hasn't wasted a solid chance of him developing his skills and body at a pretty important time of his life, for the sake of a higher draft position and more $$$.

Off the top of my head, I'd give the edge to more Aussies having made the NBA by hard work than being drafted... Or more certainly, being drafted with a guaranteed contract...

Reply #738833 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

When it comes with comments from anon's saying "hes not that good" its clearly at least in part about tall poppy syndrome.

And why would anyone want to see an Aussie fail in the big time just to have them in the NBL? I'd far prefer to see every talented Aussie play their entire career at the highest level and never see them close to the NBL.

Reply #738835 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'd love to see him stick in the NBA. Next season is the make or break one for him I think. If he can't make it through a good portion of games, I'd think there's a good chance the Jazz either try to move him or just buy him out to free up a roster spot.

Reply #738837 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

@Cram - but maybe he ISN'T that good... Just because he's Aussie doesn't mean he is exempt from criticism... Sure, he's young still, but maybe he has a ceiling... I think most players, if given the chance to have a ceiling of third string NBA PG would take it, sure, but there were questions at the time of his talent level when he was getting drafted and I doubt anyone would have picked him to go as high as he did... Maybe that contributed to higher than reasonable expectations?

I also don't think that it's not wanting them to fail, but when presented with a player that is third option, maybe getting very limited minutes and/or only playing those minutes every other game, some people, obviously not you, but some other people, might prefer to see those players come and be big stars in the NBL...

Reply #738843 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Not saying he should be exempt from criticism. Its just the overzealous nature to any swiftly declare they'll be back in the NBL or that their NBA career is "done" after any setback as if people haven't seen anyone recover from injury or have long careers on the end of benches.

Reply #738940 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:16 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754