Wateva
Years ago

Last Minute change to 14 National Refs

Due to a nasty ankle injury to Matt Coombe. He will no longer be able to go to the 14 Girls national champs in Darwin. He will hopefully undergo surgery on Wednesday or Thursday but will most likely be out for 3 - 6 months.

Topic #4497 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

How'd he do it?

He wasn't playing was he? Like another referee who tried to live out his playing dreams and ended up too injured to referee finals. ;-)

Reply #52295 | Report this post

gertrude  
Years ago

bad luck to mr coombe, he is a promising referee who always gives his all. he will come back better than ever before.

Reply #52296 | Report this post

Wateva  
Years ago

Yeah he did it playing. Got nailed on a fast break layup. But he'll be back soon. No news on surgery yet though.

Reply #52301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is hard luck.

It is hard enough to make it in the referee ranks without set backs like this.

He has some great talent and lets hope he can get back on the floor and up to scratch in time for next champs - he needs to go to one asap to get his name out there nationally.

There is a lesson to be learnt from this though. Most referees appointed to national champs, will ensure that they don't play some weeks prior to the championship in order to limit or prevent injury and this year I have already seen at least two others playing in the lead up to their championship appointments. They should be protecting their bodies and focusing on the correct preparation for the championship week. Lets face it, it is only one month or so as a ref you need to limit yourself for so much bigger and better things in the future.

I guess it really depends on how focused the individual wants to be for success as a referee.

Reply #52313 | Report this post

Bullshit Artist  
Years ago

Bad luck Matt, hope all goes well with the op.

Reply #52314 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

Matt is a fantastic ref, and as a UIC, Matt is always willing to help me out with anything that he can do!

As I suffered an injury too when I was going to attend Nationals in 2004, I too know how it feels!

Good luck with the recovery Matt!

Reply #52318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What Nationals were you going to attend?

Reply #52320 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

I was going to attend Under 18 Nationals in Townsville.

And I actually made the decision not to go a wk before cos I realised that I wouldn't be able to do the spot the justice that it deserved!

Reply #52334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Insert Voilin Music Here

Reply #52336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if i sound like an idiot excuse me, but who the heck is matt coombe?

Reply #52348 | Report this post

Keefy  
Years ago

I'm trying to find out from my brother what's happening with Matt. He's got no idea because he hasn't replied to any of his messages and failed to show up for work today

Reply #52353 | Report this post

Wateva  
Years ago

He had surgery today and the doctors were pleasantly surprised that the damage wasn't as bad as first thought. So he should only be out for about 6 weeks.

Reply #52379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Surgery today.. went well apparentltly hopefully he wil b out of hospital in the next couple of days depending on it... Spewin matt didnt get to go to nationals.. he was really looking forward to it.. Good luck to Alex Jordan who is takin matts place.. get better soon matt

Reply #52380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sorry but I have to ask the question. What was he doing playing that level of basketball the week before a National Championships!?!

Reply #52381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah i dont know? It was Div 5 for god sake.. could of had a week off but No.. dedicated Matt had to go out and play... bit of a bummer though

Reply #52387 | Report this post

James  
Years ago

Well, as Matt is one of my best friends and I've told him several times to take it easy, he doesn't listen. Serves him right.

It may sound vindictive, but it's true. He just has to walk and he creaks and cracks all over.

Reply #52399 | Report this post

MC  
Years ago

Thanks all for your best wishes. Yep, dislocated and fractured my ankle. WHo are you Wateva? Not even my doctor's said anything bout that to me! Had the op yesterday, Got out of hospital this afternoon.
Good luck to Alex, cheers for your help!
James, I'll fix you later!

But yeah, thanks all and I'll keep you guys posted!

Reply #52536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good on you matt!! whateva.. i know who u r!!

Reply #52559 | Report this post

Adam  
Years ago

Who is he

Reply #52560 | Report this post

Wateva  
Years ago

and who might you be anon (#52559)

Reply #52574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im me and u are u.. i know who u r!!! lol

Reply #53510 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:04 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754