Jack Toft
Years ago

So Long NBL 2018/19

The season is over and now we look forward to 2019/20.

The planning for next season has already started with a new team coming into the League (and hopefully no teams dropping out over the next few months) Players retiring by choice, and some not by choice, and imports moving on. Players looking for contracts in the off season and some players finishing Uni degrees, laying bricks, or selling vitamin supplements.

So, what will fans want more of, and less of, next season?

Topic #44983 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Less LV

Reply #738674 | Report this post

JC  
Years ago

Less LK

Reply #738676 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

W

Reply #738680 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

More talent on the Hawks & Taipans rosters

Reply #738681 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Some young refs to step up so that we don't need to depend on Laurel and Hardy to reffing the finals.

Reply #738684 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Can we get one thread going to show player/coach movements and signings in the off season instead of a single thread for every movement?

Would like to see friendlier tip off times instead of just doing what channel 9 want. The fans have kept this league going and should be treated so.

Bring back some sort of all-start event. I think it would be a good stress relief for all the players, actually get to know players on the other teams, not just the guys who play for the Boomers. I think they'd be less agro between teams if you had the imports teaming up together and having a bit of fun. Could have a rookie/development player game so these young guys who get next to no minutes can enjoy playing on the big stage and showing what they can do.

Reply #738688 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

All teams to have a next star or none.
Was silly that only Sydney had one.

Reply #738699 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Definitely friendlier tip off times and friendlier days of the week too.

Reply #738702 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'd like Next Star prospects to be assigned to teams based on their position on the ladder - ie. worst team gets first dibs, etc.

Less unsportsmanlike fouls for another. There was a sharp decline as the season went on I imagine due to mainly players adjusting, but I'd like a little more common sense on what's whistled an unsportsmanlike as well.

Reply #738703 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Don't think teams should be forced to take on a next star if they believe their current development players are enough. Why force a team to take one on and then leave them off the roster for the majority of the year? Not really good for their growth apart from training with a professional team.

Reply #738705 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I'd like Next Star prospects to be assigned to teams based on their position on the ladder - ie. worst team gets first dibs, etc.

It would be very cool to have a draft with Taipans having the first pick, but I think the whole system falls over for the Next Star players the minute their destiny becomes a raffle like that. I couldn't see many of them agreeing to it.

Reply #738707 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

So long NBL, welcome NBL1!

I would also like to see stability with all teams next season, it's wonderful that the league is expanding, but it has be sustain itself above all...

Reply #738708 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

...has to sustain itself...

Reply #738709 | Report this post

Lurker  
Years ago

SIGNIFICANTLY less Heal

Reply #738716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone no when free agency starts, two weeks from today????

Reply #738721 | Report this post

Food for thought (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I'd like to see the NBL move back towards a more athletic style of play. Imports were noticeably more floor bound this season, and even though they were talented, there wasn't quite as much to talk about from a highlights perspective. So in some areas I'd like to see teams just get generally better imports.

I still feel like the look of courts on TV needs to be addressed. Things seem to be getting better but until courts look professional casual viewers wont see the league as particularly professional.

Other than that I was entertained during the season, but I have to say that the playoffs were the worst and most boring of recent memory. The Finals series had absolutely nothing on the drama and entertainment value of the Adelaide vs. Melbourne Finals of the year beforehand.

I also want a little less hyperbole from the Loeligers and Kestlemans of the world. Yes, in context they've done a good job, and I'd never want them to stop talking positive about the league, but the NBL is still struggling on TV and in other key areas, so talking like we are on the cusp of prime time TV on a main channel like Kestleman was saying a month ago seems almost a bit disingenuous. Let's be proud but also keep it real here.

Reply #738726 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Definitely agree that teams shouldn't be forced to take Next Star players, but the bottom-finishing teams should be the first ones approached by the league (assuming that's how it works, rather than teams reaching out to prospects directly).

Reply #738739 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Less equalisation payments.

More self-responsibility.

Reply #738751 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Lovebroker, you sound like a crazy right-winger. More responsibility... pfft

Reply #738753 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

The Finals need to wrap up before the NRL/AFL seasons start. 100%.

Reply #738754 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

SIGNIFICANTLY less Heal

Or better yet none at all.

Reply #738755 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

One of the biggest changes in the NBL for next season is the requirement to register to post on hooops.com.au

Put a name against your opinions. Ban any attacks on here.

Make a mobile app for hoops.com.au

Reply #738757 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Agree absolutely with Perth Wilburs!

Reply #738771 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

No more mid day and early afternoon games thanks.

Something to be done to make Hawks and Snakes more competitive.

Sydney to stay strong and self-destruct (again).

Reply #738775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Less equalisation payments.

More self-responsibility."

Sorry, your continued rants make no sense.

There is only one team in the league that breaks even or better. Should all the other teams just give up and go home?

Or is it ok for them to have billionaire Sugar-Daddies pour in millions every year?

So what about Larry pouring millions into the league as a whole? Is that ok? Or must the league be "self-responsible"?

So what about if another billionaire wants to put money into more than one team? Acceptable or not?

Ok, what if said billionaire voluntarily agrees to inject his extra millions into multiple clubs. ie He pays a few hundred k to the poor clubs, as part of the deal to inject a couple of mill into his favourite club?

What about Bogut? Tell him to fuck off and become "Self-responsible"? Or professional sports people in general? Should they all be made to support themselves through "real jobs"?

Reply #738778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whilst it may be your preferred option to watch Perth and Melbourne play 28 times, what about those of us who want to watch a balance competitive league? Do we not get a say?

Reply #738780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Something to be done to make Hawks and Snakes more competitive."

Illawarra beat every team in the competition, did they not?

Reply #738788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get rid of 'Not a spare seat in the house' Dwayne Russell
Bring back James Harvey

Reply #738792 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

There is only one team in the league that breaks even or better. Should all the other teams just give up and go home?

Which team are you talking about? Don't Cairns make a profit year in year out too?

Reply #738823 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Get rid of Dwayne Russell.

Bring back 48 minute games + jump ball + 6 fouls.

Announcement during season of Southern Huskies joining NBL for following season

Yeah more dunks would be nice.

Treat Chris Goulding how he deserves, if he hasn't done anything in the game then don't get excited because he caught a pass from a team mate... I wonder if that will cause less booing from fans.

More junior refs given a go, too many experienced refs are just not up to standard (maybe try and find a Hayward Workman type that has played at the highest level but chosen to become a ref post playing days).

WAY less music at games as the crowd gets drowned out by music. Yes it has a place for sure but use it when the crowd are tired or during time outs for CHEERLEADERS (not dancers).

Someone actually make a half court shot at 3/4 time this season, feels like they are getting absolute mugs out of the crowd that have no idea how to shoot the ball.

More games live on NINE.

Double headers with WNBL games. Sometimes they'd go on before the men and sometimes after. (Mid afternoon and night games).

I'd love to see more blocks in the league; having Perth win the title after being the worst team in the league for blocks is a travesty and I really hope that teams don't resort to picking slow lumbering giants to fill the lane when Bogut/Long should be what every team should aspire to getting (bring back Mickel Gladness).

20 second time outs would be cool as it adds to drama and gives coaches more options + the cheerleaders come out momentarily.

No more white jersey away team strips... they suck

Reply #739041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I really hope that teams don't resort to picking slow lumbering giants to fill the lane when Bogut/Long should be what every team should aspire to getting"

doesn't want slow lumbering giants. wants more Bogut. huh???

Reply #739054 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

At the games:

Less music and fake attempts to stir up the crowd with chanting "defense"

Turn down the volume so fans can discuss the game, especially the court announcer

Each club to have limited-edition t-shirts, of which they shoot out 5 (say) every game that club plays, a small number to make them really special

More young refs

More calling by the rules (especially on illegal screens, and big men forcing contact by barging and wrestling away from the key)

Faster play on offense

Better quality on uncontested shooting, for example nobody scoring below 75% on their foul shots

On TV

Get rid of any commentator who's stupid enough to need lame American cliches or to talk crap or to have an orgasm every time a 'superstar’ does something they’re expected to. (For example: “he brings the audience to their feet” when it’s obvious that nobody’s moved)

Reply #739058 | Report this post

A A Ron  
Years ago

Very true!

Reply #744428 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:31 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754