Wendy Byrd
Years ago

The AFL thread

Well, it is the NBL off-season so I thought I'd start a bit of AFL chatter.

Amazing game between the Suns and the Saints a few moments ago.

Topic #45005 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Substandard game. I guess close = amazing for some people but not me. This has been a very poor opening round.

Reply #739312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah let's not mention the Collingwood Vs Geelong game. Nor the Swans game. Lets hope you only support AFL. There are already enough dickheads in the NBL topic.

Reply #739314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank god game 5 wasn't played today. I know it's only been a week but feels like a lot longer since perth won game 4.

If game 5 was on today it would have had hardly any interest and almost no media coverage.

Reply #739315 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Saints and Suns meh...

Reply #739316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm missing the nbl already, the afl has been biting.

Reply #739318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah scary to think the NBL could have still been going today!

Only 1 good game this round but it always takes a couple to shake the rust off.

Reply #739322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Horrible first quarter by the Roos

Reply #739323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North's for the spoon.

Reply #739328 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

The Anon that was relieved there was no game 5 today.... thats the main reason why I dont think a best of 5 series is good for the NBL. To clash with round 1 of AFL it would have been completely ignored in any form of media and would have been a shame to end the season on a whimper which it would have been. Shit it was starting to get ignored with AFL preseason dominating, it would have had no chance against the opening round.

Reply #739333 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Lots of unexpected results in Round 1.

Reply #739334 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Greatful St Kilda won not keen on hearing about poor umpiring of free kick discrepancies.

Reply #739337 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

*or

Reply #739339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The umpiring is not as good as the basketball referees, never get two decisions the same. What was called yesterday wasn't called today.

Reply #739347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As soon as I saw Homicide jump on board Essendon this season I was worried for them. That was super ugly. They need a 3rd import pronto, and a coach.

Reply #739351 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

This is NOT a God damn AFL forum

Reply #739361 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Ease up Mock, there is a heading for AFL and the thread is clearly on topic with the football season now in full force.

Geelong's win against the Magpies, while against the punters odds is no surprise, they beat Collingwood twice last season, but it is only round one and both will get better. I though two things cost Collingwood, one was their early missed shots and the blown goal near the end by De Goey which both could have made any comeback much harder. That said, Geelong's ruck duo of Stanley supported by Rattagalia started to gain ground on a tiring Grundy which along with a great game by Kelly got the Cats home.

As for the new rules, especially the 6x6x6 concept to try and open the game up for more scoring, at the moment a big fail, no more scoring than last year. If the AFL wants to open up the game, get rid of 90 interchange and reduce it to 40, plus 4 emergency interchanges in last 5 minutes to cater for injuries. That will result in players staying home in their zones rather than the moving maul we see now.

Last thing, sadly three serious knee injuries already in round one, I do hope this trend doesn't continue...

Reply #739470 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I like the 6-6-6 rule.
I also don't think the effects of it have fully kicked in yet, and I also don't think that low scoring in round 1 is any kind of proof that it has a negative impact on scoring. That'd be like claiming that Ross Lyon is an offensive mastermind, when in reality he is just offensive.

Reply #739487 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Luuuc, while I get your point that it is only round one and the new rules can't be criticised based on only the first set of matches or data associated with only one round, I am basing my thoughts on the fact that I see the 6x6x6 rule serving to only address symptoms, not the cause of congestion and low scoring.

There is plenty of evidence to suggest teams are using the ability to rest players frequently in order to conserve their ability to run and tackle and pressure by following the ball and not encouraged or forced by fatigue to stay at home which spreads the play.

If this is the style of game fans want, it will not change as long as 90 interchange remain, because no matter what band aid fix we see the AFL employ, it doesn't actually address the causes.

Let's see how we are looking after 6 rounds, 10 rounds, etc...sure I am happy to admit I am wrong if in fact we start to see something different, however I will at this stage stand by my opinion, based on over 40 years watching as an avid supporter who enjoyed playing the game even if I wasn't that great at it...

Reply #739589 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"There is plenty of evidence to suggest teams are using the ability to rest players frequently in order to conserve their ability to run and tackle and pressure by following the ball and not encouraged or forced by fatigue to stay at home which spreads the play."

Restricting rotations last year caused an increase in injuries and a drop in scoring. This is because teams are playing the same style as prior to the cap on rotations, meaning players are under higher fatigue, hence injury risk goes up and skills drop away.

As per usual, the AFL didn't properly consider or trial their rule changes and there are unintended consequences, because of which they make further rule changes that haven't been properly considered or trialled.

The one positive for them, and the one they most care about, is it keeps them front and centre in the media cycle.

Reply #739623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are Richmond a spent force?

Reply #739755 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

@Bear, I don't really disagree with anything you said.
6-6-6 does indeed address a symptom, not the cause, and it only does so for a small portion of the game.
I still like it though, because I think it makes logical sense. I also like that at the end of a close match a team can't just throw an extra 3 or 4 players behind the ball to clog the game up.

That's not to say there aren't better solutions out there.

Reply #739777 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Paul, I agree that the AFL sometimes tries something but doesn't actually do it properly or give it time or just maybe was never invested in the trial in the first place, hence a bias and subjective overview resulting in no changes at all when it comes to interchange rules.

If anyone can explain to me why a player who kicks a great goal then has to sprint 100 metres just to get a drink instead of stay in the forward pocket and have a quick rest there I would appreciate it??

@Luuuc, I think the best option now that 6x6x6 has been implemented is to work out how to support that rule with something that will actually address the causes of congestion and low scoring.

The causes are mostly (but not exclusively) attributed to: sustained pressure - tackling a player as he gains possession of the ball (but hasn't got it) - speed of the player seen as more important than football skill - too many players being able to zone in one area - inability to move the ball quickly enough - failure to execute skills under the sustained pressure and perception of rules as officiated - the officiating according to perceptions and not the rules.

Reply #740175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee the Cox suspension seemed soft

Reply #740192 | Report this post

The Eagles seem to own Collingwood

Reply #740613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North Melbourne are a rabble

Reply #741837 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:31 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754