Brandt out, Long in?

Reply #739712 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Brandt out, Karl Anthony-Towns in.

Reply #739714 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Quite scary how much better Perth can become with roster changes in the off-season.

Reply #739715 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Adds more fuel to Shawn Long rumours.

Reply #739719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard this rumour half way through season, Phoenix was interested I heard. Hearing lots of rumours at moment but that's every one jockeying for position and agents trying hard.

Reply #739722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Email from the club confirming Europe out clause exercised

Reply #739725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.wildcats.com.au/news/article/wildcats-farewell-angus-brandt

Reply #739727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty shocked by this, there was a piece in the paper about him a couple of weeks ago saying how he's finally bought a home in Perth and looking to settle long term and make this home.

Must have a really nice offer lined up in europe to leave.

Hopefully wildcats snag Shawn Long.

Reply #739728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does Gus have a European passport

Reply #739729 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Is this going to be one of those Euro deals where he 2 days later signs with the Phoenix?

Reply #739732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Puts higher value on any free agent centres like Hodgson. SE Melb, Perth, Bris, NZ all looking for that starting role signed up.

Shawn Long may also get a better gig overseas so no guarantee anyone gets him

Reply #739734 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

He has previously played before in Europe. Lithuania if my memory serves me correctly, he really improved his game over there! Seems strange to leave Wildcats must have something big instore for him to move on!

Reply #739736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#threeimports

Reply #739740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Angus at 29 he doesnt have a super long career ahead. Few years to maybe earn some big bucks

Reply #739744 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Shame to lose Brandt from the league, what a wild ride this off season is so far and it's not even April yet.

Reply #739754 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Is this going to be one of those Euro deals where he 2 days later signs with the Phoenix?

Exactly my reaction to this. There was a lot of gossip on here a few months ago about how Brandt can't stand Gleeson. I don't blame him.

Side note: nothing can top CJ "going to Europe" with a club even lined up (CSKA Moscow) and then once released signing with another NBL club instead (can't remember if it was getting out of the Kings to Bullets or later Bullets to Breakers) but that was the most hilarious I'm going-to-Europe-not NBL moves of all time.

Reply #739775 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Sounds like Mitch McCarron all over again, but think this would be mutual if Cats have a better starting C in mind.

Reply #739782 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

Didn't realise he was that old. Had a redshirt year and finished college at 25, geez.

Reply #739791 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Thinking Perth will go an import to replace Brandt.
Norton and Martin
Cotton* and ?
Import* and ?
Kay, Wagstaff and Vague
Import*, ?

Possibly Jervis and Steindl come back.
Rookie or cheap Aussie to replace Hire.

Reply #739813 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Surprised by this.

Will wait and see I guess.

By and large, Trev and the Cats do a pretty bang up job of recruiting, so I'd back them on this one.

But yes, this could be another "Melbourne by way of Europe" move. People need to remember that often such moves are mutual.

Clearly something is moving somewhere, as this seems very early for such an announcement. Guys can go and play in Europe without being released, and in theory should only need the out clause when taking a full-season gig. Brandt has previously had an end of season stint in Lithuania, but possibly going all the way to the GF eliminated such an option this season.

As for a Euro passport. I don't know, but I thought his parents might have been from the UK?? Would he still qualify after Brexit?? LOL

It's ironic considering how well he played against Bogut, but the presence of guys like Boone, Bogut, and Long, have put the focus back on quality Big Centres. Cats have thrived for years with 4/5 guys, so it will be interesting to see what direction they take.

Obviously this fuels the Long rumour. As I said at the time, Long would push Brandt out, so maybe there's some validity to it.

I assume that is the rumour that had Suicide pledging his allegiance, and if true I tend to agree.

Reply #739872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brandt is from the Holland, I'd say he got a euro passport.

Reply #739873 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

If by "The Holland" you mean SYDNEY, then yeah. Not sure that helps with the Euro passport though.

Reply #739875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His parents or minimum grand parents, gives him a euro passport.

Reply #739878 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Ah, ok, thanks.

Reply #739880 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Really interested to see which way the Cats lean for a replacement.

Clearly we need a starting Centre. Do they have their eyes on an Aussie, or will they burn an import slot?

Reply #740551 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:14 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754