Isaac
Years ago

Lemanis signs on with Bullets for three years

You know, it's probably a small thing, but I think there's value in seeming active in free agency. Announce things. Make early moves. If you're a free agent, you could well believe Adelaide are in death throes.

Topic #45034 | Report this topic

Senator11  
Years ago

Securing 3 more years of mediocrity.

Reply #739833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesn't help the 6ers cause when their coach, who is contracted, announces he’s evaluating his options.

Being that Sobey is gone I expect Joey is now staying as I believe it was a "him or me" situation.

Not convinced on Lemanis. Would want some results in the next three years to extend his NBL coaching career.

Reply #739835 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'm a bit surprised they even re-signed Lemanis let alone giving him another 3 years, his last 3 years have delivered two spoons and being swept in the SF.

On Joey the Sixers owner should've pulled the pin on him. You can't have your coach publicly saying he's looking around at other options AND his relationship with the team's best player is so poor that said player is now leaving to sign with another team.

Should've just eaten Joey's contract to keep Sobey who was keen to re-sign for 3 years until Joey announced he was staying. Unfortunately this new Sixers owner just keeps making the wrong decisions at almost every turn.

Reply #739836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac...Sobey is a hot head who doesn't take criticism all that well, nor did he buy into the team or its game plan last season.

Joey isn't entirely at fault, nor do you sack a coach who has provided better than average results over his tenure for the sake of such player above - that would be the incorrect move.

Reply #739844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lemanis deserves more time. The team showed good progress this season and with Sobey coming on board could take the next step.

Reply #739846 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Sobey is a hot head who doesn't take criticism all that well, nor did he buy into the team or its game plan last season.

He may be be a hot head but he did buy into the game plan by playing at PG despite not being a natural PG. Even though he wasn't suited to the position the Bullets obviously liked what they saw as they intend to play at him at PG too.

Joey isn't entirely at fault, nor do you sack a coach who has provided better than average results over his tenure for the sake of such player above - that would be the incorrect move.

Joey's never at fault it's always someone else's fault. He's been openly canvassing the idea of leaving the team despite having a generous contract in place and who's to say he doesn't quit after next season anyway when a more attractive position might open up?

Then we lose Sobey for possibly one more year of Joey a year where we're likely to be even worse than this season and have to look for a new coach anyway. I will add if that rumour about the reason behind Sobey's refusal to play for him again is true he should've already been sacked.

Reply #739854 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I wouldn't have minded if the Sixers / Wright agreed to mutually split, we keep Sobey and bring in Bevo.

See what a defensive minded coach can do.

No Sobey is gone, and although Wright is staying he may as well be one foot out the door.

But we cannot just sack him, I don't want the Sixers to have to pay him for 2 years.

Reply #739864 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Questionable move IMHO.

Lemanis clearly has a problem distinguishing between the Bullets, and his personal B-Boomers development squad.

Sure its great that because of this ambitious players want to come and play for Andre, but after years of trying he has yet to assemble a balanced squad.
He scraped into the finals (after two spoons) only by changing his imports like players change undies.

Unfortunately I honestly have to question whether he actually knows how to build an NBL team?

He can coach, no question. And he is reasonably adept at pulling together all-star teams like the Boomers (at both levels).
But he seems to know sod-all about building unity and culture. (ie the very thing needed to win NBL championships.)

People point to his impressive record in NZ. As I said, he's a good coach, but the culture, unity, and much of the squad was already in place there.
Being a de facto National team, the Breakers have by default the strongest culture and unity in the league.

He clearly value the strong persona loyalty he gets from Vukona, but at the same time doesn't seem to understand the importance of building that within a squad.

Reply #739865 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Agree with @Senator11. That is all.

Reply #739871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just so we are clear when Andrew came to the breakers they were a disaster and there were many who wanted them gone from league. They went 9-23, 11-22 before getting into playoffs with 16-14 record , then 18-12 making playoffs, then 15-13 to miss playoffs before 3 straight championships.

He built the culture at breakers and bring it all to life much like he is doing at Bullets. He is taking them from ground up.

Huge Breakers fan and wish was still at our clun

Reply #739881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane = slow build up from ground up.
Sydney = quick fix and splashing money.

Reply #739882 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"But he seems to know sod-all about building unity and culture. (ie the very thing needed to win NBL championships.)"

I can only laugh. How short some people's memories are.

Reply #739883 | Report this post

justsaying  
Years ago

i do not understand all the criticism of Lemanis. Look how Sydney went when they returned to the NBL. Brisbane have been back a couple of years only, and to me there is improvement at a greater rate than the Kings had when they returned.

also Lemanis is one of the few current coaches to have won a championship

Reply #739886 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

For starters, his recruiting has been piss poor. Not coaching per se, but part of his role that has a massive effect on the teams' fortunes.

Among other things, kind of hard to overlook Cadee’s signing and him being massively overplayed, much to the team’s obvious detriment.

Never took notice of his time in NZ. I personally don’t see any 'culture’ being built in Brisbane, just my opinion. Have heard from others around the outer sanctum that he’s a poor communicator and have been bewildered by some goings on.

Reply #739889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Lemanis Championships more to do with the players and his assistants.

Reply #739892 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"I can only laugh. How short some people's memories are."

Pointless comment. We all know what he achieved in New Zealand.

But face facts, look at what he's done at Brisbane, and its abysmal.
(What is YOUR explanation for the difference??)

It's not "building from the ground up" when you keep recruiting the wrong players, paying them too much, then pushing them out the door when things don't work out.
There's no continuity, no solidarity, no franchise players, and I fail to see how he could be developing culture and spirit when the team is just a revolving door.

Reply #739896 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Lemanis also was horibbly bad his first few seasons at NZ, was lucky to survive. Blackwell money started being spent and existing culture/national team feel created that dynasty. He was there right time, right place and now being shown how mediocre he really is. Remember Vickermann also won there.

Reply #739909 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Never took notice of his time in NZ. I personally don't see any 'culture’ being built in Brisbane, just my opinion. Have heard from others around the outer sanctum that he’s a poor communicator and have been bewildered by some goings on.

Not surprised. When he was showcased during the Breakers three-peat I always scratched my head at how he would be a motivator which obviously wasn't a key in their success (it was Blackwell money, good management, existing Kiwi comraderie etc.). The guy lacks any charisma and has the worst/weirdest voice of all time. In fact you would be demotivated playing under him. Keep posting whispers out of Brisbane Ben, sick of reading airey fairey fake news by Lemanis lovers!

Reply #739910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a breakers fan. Have been since day 1. Fantastic news he has re signed in Brisbane. Means he won't come back to the breakers.

Reply #739958 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Hard to criticise someone for landing Sobey, but the big thing it shows me is Lemanis still can't build a team - too much money tied up in guys that play the same positions. It's almost like he's using the Bullets gig to build up cohesion for the B Team Boomer squads. Roster balance is the big differentiation in a league this strong, and Sydney, Brisbane and NZ this past season have both stuffed that up majorly and that's been the biggest factor behind their underperformance IMO. Sobey is an ominous signing that doesn't really address the team's bigger needs on the surface of it... I'd give Lemanis the benefit of the doubt that there's something bigger at work, but the last 3 seasons sure haven't shown that.

Reply #739959 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:02 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754