Isaac
Years ago

Tai Wesley signs with SEM Phoenix

2+1 deal. Interesting that he now counts as an import. Good, solid piece to work around.

Topic #45044 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

If nothing else I have to give Homicide credit for coming up with the nicknames Tai "Grown Man" Wesley and Money Making Mitch McCarron they always put a smile on my face anytime I hear him say them.

Great signing for the Phoenix even as an import probably helps prepare them for the possibility of Creek staying in the US next season.

Reply #740026 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Very nice addition. (and big loss for NZ)

Reply #740028 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

I was wondering who was going to be the first Day One (AKA "We waited until we could talk to him, honestly") signing... Really good pick up from the Phoenix, and definitely worth the import spot...

Reply #740031 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Now this is an actual "grown man" signing. Good job Phoenix.

Reply #740032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder if they will chase Boone to pair them up again.

Free agency allows you to sign your players, my understanding is that doesn't stop you talking to other parties as long as you don’t sign them and perhaps discuss money. Doesn’t take long to work out the dollars and get contract signed with the internet now days.

Reply #740033 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Interesting if there are lots of import signings early, usually teams wait for summer league and sift through the best of the rest. Good sign in one was as clubs will try to retain imports that are already a good fit, downside a team might miss out on other available top tier players.

Reply #740034 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

Dude has zero loyalty

Reply #740040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice pick up, interesting deal especially for an import, but he's a proven player in the league.

Loving the multi year contracts players have been signing the last couple of offseasons though. Good to see teams and the league starting to build some stability.

Reply #740041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably good move for tai. 3 years. He is getting on.

Breakers probably held upper hand as he may have qualified as a local in NZ far earlier than aust.

3 years for an import is not a smart move for melborne.

Can see them live to regret this.

Reply #740042 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Doesn't need to be loyal.

Reply #740044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how much money has already been spend on the players so far?

Creek

Madgen

Moneke
Wesley

Reply #740046 | Report this post

BVL  
Years ago

Proven low post scorer in a league crying out for guys who can attract attention in the post.

The question will be will he come back in "in shape". Needs to be averaging 12-15 pp game to justify the signing.

Reply #740047 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

I didn't realise until I read this press release that he was 32, will be 33 by the start of the season. Last few years definitely showed he still has it but I would expect a decline similar to Redhage's last few years, who retired at 36 I think?

Reply #740050 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Apart form his skills he provides so much more especially for a new team. Experience, leadership, knowing the NBL system, finals success, can score, defend, rebound and pass. They just need to have the right parts around him. Seemed to do better next to a guy like Boone, rather than a ball dominant C in Long.

Reply #740053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He signed a two year contract with club option, if he's done after two the club doesn’t have to take the the option.

Reply #740054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought it was a player option.

Reply #740059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wow they talked through the terms and conditions of the contract and made a mutual decision VERY quickly seeing as free agency started today!

Reply #740060 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Depending on $$$ I think it's a good move for the Phoenix. Tai is a known quantity who is of an import standard anyway. Yeah he's no spring chicken, but I don't think he's going to have a huge drop off considering his style of play. Pretty sure he'd be an NBL-level scorer through to 40.

The local talent is going to be key for the Phoenix though. Madgen was a good get, but it will be interesting to see who they pad the rotation out with - particularly if Creek hangs around in the US.

Reply #740063 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

3 years is too long for a 32 year old, especially when Year 3 is a player option.

Reply #740070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone recall Brooklyn nets and how signing aging vets worked for them?

Tai's play dropped off towards the end of the season. Finn delany was more productive.

Can't blame grown man tai for taking this offer

Reply #740075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope it club option yr 3. My bad. Good signing

Reply #740076 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Dont creek and wesley play the same position?

Reply #740136 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

You'd be able to start Creek at the 3, surely? (If he actually makes it to them next season) Say you get:

Ware^ | Madgen | Creek | Wesley^ | Import 5

even if you get a meat and potatoes import 5, that's a pretty impressive starting 5...

Reply #740150 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And if they've allocated solid money to Creek and he plays here, you just forgo an import or get a cheap returning import instead. Money not an issue yet. Better to make a splash and try to attract filler talent.

Reply #740156 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Creek played SF in Adelaide, Tai plays PF. Don't think I've ever seen Creek play PF.

Reply #740164 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Mmm, ok, I forgot he was still an import. Surely they're working on some dodgy shit to get him naturalised.
Surely by now he's ****** enough sheep to qualify for NZ Sutuzenshup?

If he's gets naturalise, great signing, epic coup.

If not, he'll sill be good for those two years, and you have to consider that some teams are signing lesser 3rd imports, or not at all.

Reply #740193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought it'd be easier for him to naturalise in Australia than NZ, given by 2020 he'd have played three of his last four years in Australia. That's why I thought NZ was out of the equation if they were talking citizenship (he's had stints in NZ each year but surely not enough for citizenship purposes)

Reply #740538 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

If he got NZ Citizenship, could he play for them as their naturalised player?
Or is that ruled out because he's represented Guam?

Reply #740550 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I thought it'd be easier for him to naturalise in Australia than NZ, given by 2020 he'd have played three of his last four years in Australia.
But he's spending as much time in NZ as Australia when he plays for Australian clubs anyway, as he plays NZNBL during the winter. He's probably spent more time in NZ all up.

IIRC someone said previously you need to live here for three straight years or something to get Australian citizenship, so he wouldn't qualify as he's never even managed one year.

Reply #740553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like Kevin Lisch did...

Reply #740554 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Lisch also has an Australian wife and kids.

Reply #740557 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Not sure about their daughter, but I know their son was born in NZ.
His wife is American.

Reply #740567 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Does it matter where their kids were born? The kids have zero claim to citizenship in either country, at least for the next decade.

Reply #740584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tai Wesley the only starter on the team so far? not counting Creek

Reply #740600 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:10 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754