Isaac
Years ago

36ers put offer to Melo Trimble?

Boti today:

The Sixers are believed to have put an offer to Cairns Taipans' highly-sought import playmaker Melo Trimble and there are unconfirmed rumours club management is talking with Jerome Randle.

Adelaide coach Joey Wright is not believed to be on board with the latter move, though with Ramone Moore and Jacob Wiley signed, an import point guard must be the 36ers' top recruiting priority.
I did wonder if Randle might be better bang for buck now, and some of his past beef was with Sobey (and possibly Creek?).

Boti also mentions Adelaide might be looking to keep Bruce over Doyle.

Full story

Topic #45047 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

Sounds more like the Trimble offer is to put the pressure on Randle. I wouldn't be that happy about Randle coming back and don't think Joey would be either I'm sure he still remembers that Randle tweet & pic with Bevo in China just after he left the team.

Bruce over Doyle would be an upgrade but was a mistake picking up Moore's option.

Reply #740100 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

If the Sixers sign Randle with Wright 'not on board', this doesn't bode well at all for :

a) The season.
b) The rest of Wright's tenure with the club.

I hope this is some sort of April Fool's Joke and Trimble is the only target.

Reply #740102 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Assuming Adelaide can offer more more money than Cairns (only assuming) then who is their main rival in the race for Trimble besides Cairns? Especially now that Sobey will go to Brisbane and Perth and Melbourne likely will prioritise their regulars.

I'd be worried that SEM can trump them both if they miss out on Sobey as expected.

Reply #740105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings been in his ear since season end.

Reply #740107 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Not even Trimble can save this rabble...

Reply #740111 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Forgot Sydney for some reason.

Reply #740113 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Kings very keen on him talking to him before their season was even over and I can't see us outbidding them for him so think the Trimble thing is more about trying to lock Randle in now.

Reply #740114 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Cairns are not in the race for Trimble...

Reply #740117 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Forget developing the kid because he is not long for this league.

What you need to ask yourself is which player wins me the most games right now, Randle or Trimble. Answer is Randle

Reply #740118 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Yeah...Nah...Neither of them without a support crew.

Reply #740119 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

Please, 36ERS do NOT need Randle. or should I say they need to not have Randle.

Ultimately he didn't work previously with Adelaide or Sydney, so why would anyone expect things to be different if he was to be brought back to Adelaide now?

If you look at Sobey you can see many of the Randle characteristics - flashy, athletic but ultimately unstable, unreliable and reverting to individual [usually unproductive] 'hero ball' when the pressure is on.

Suspect that is a significant part of why Sobey is no longer with Adelaide and 'more of the same' in the form of Randle [again] is definitely not something to pursue in my opinion.

Reply #740215 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Ultimately he didn't work previously with Adelaide"

ROFL

He won MVP with Adelaide, and would have won a championship if Joey hadn't lost the plot.

I don't see how Adelaide could afford Trimble?
Ok, so they can probably outbid Cairns, but what about Sydney, MU, and SEM??

Reply #740223 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

D2.0, speak to almost any Adelaide fan and they will tell you they don't want Randle back. He can stay in Sydney. They seem to like overpaying for has beens.

As for Melo, you never know until you try. I'm not sure if he'd be the answer for the Sixers, but I would definitely prefer him to Randle.

Whoever the Sixers sign as their point guard, he'd better be top shelf, because there will be a lot of empty seats at the Entertainment Centre next season if the team plays home games like it did last season!

Reply #740239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think having lost Sobey and Creek, this Adelaide team needs Randle.

Reply #740241 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Sorry, wasn't suggesting they should get him back, you know Sausage Rolls and all that. Just pointing out that he was hardly a chump.

And I agree, as posted elsewhere, that they shouldn't get in a bidding war for him. Same goes for Trimble.
Look, presumably they can offer a bit more than Cairns? And you can't blame him for taking it. I'm just saying that if Sydney, MU, or SEM are vying for his services, then it could get costly.

I agree that with Sobey gone, they need a gun import PG. Presumably they can start Moore at SG if needed.
But my GUESS is that Joey would back himself to unearth another talent. He's consistently been one of the guys prepared to go out and do it.

Reply #740247 | Report this post

Food for thought (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Randle is a great player but he's fairly limited. He's more a shooting guard in a point guard's body. I wouldn't be opposed to having him back but there's no pretending that he doesn't have some bad blood here. His wife's antics at games, his tweet to stir Joey up after the All Australian tour, these things are remembered. He went from being Adelaide's favorite adopted son to everyone thinking he was a jerk every time he stepped onto the court with Sydney. I am not sure if this will be a win for diehard Adelaide fans. They'd get over it, I'm sure. But I don't think he'd be the one-man seat filler now that he was before he first left.

Trimble would be a great option. But he needs to be surrounded by shooters and guys who can light it up off of what he creates. Not sure if we really have that as yet.

Adelaide has put themselves in a hole by signing Moore to a three year deal. If he was an Australian he'd be a no-brainer, but that's a perfectly good and open import spot there that could be used for our more immediate need of a dynamic 2 guard. He's very good but I don't consider him to be good enough to shoulder scoring loads across a season.

I think Adelaide should be putting a bid to Cam Bairstow right now as well. With Frolling a possibility to move on, we need to really get a hold of any size we can inside. And even if Frolling stays, having the Bear in there couldn't hurt.

Reply #740263 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bairstow might be a good complementary piece for DJ too? I imagine he's pretty coachable.

Reply #740284 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I was thinking the same thing about Bairstow. He could be a very handy pickup for the right price. The only question would be, is he agile enough to stay on the floor next to DJ? I think he might be, but I haven't seen enough of his games to be certain.

Reply #740317 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

If we get Bairstow, does that mean Wiley plays the starting 3?

Reply #740323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moore as 3rd import is great, versatile and probably reasonably priced. Think they can do better than Wiley, just a fantastic athlete that'll make a highlight but hardly a go to guy hence we need one at guard.
And reason we didn't win title wasn't because Joey lost the plot, was because Childress got injured. He got the team together and was catalyst for their better culture.
Maybe Joey can pick up young kid like Bowen. Ball would be good for both sides except for circus he would bring. Would think there would be someone out there wanting to play in good league to prepare for draft.

Reply #740333 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Lovebroker, I'd prefer to start Froling when matchups allow it and bring Wiley off the bench as an energy guy. Since we need a point guard for our last import slot, I think Drmic has to be our starting three. Might as well give him big minutes and found out if he can take the next step.

I’ve also wondered about using Wiley as a three, but in the rare instances we saw it last season, it didn’t seem to work. Imagine if you could get him playing great D from the three position though? Alongside Froling and DJ, you’d actually have decent interior defence and rebounding for a change!

Reply #740336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dj can't play defence so would be caught out as a 4.
Import pg
Drmic 2
Recruit local 3
Wiley 4
Dj 5

Moore and Froling off bench.

Reply #740337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not to many local three free agents DKDrew, Moller, Steindl.

Reply #740339 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I disagree Anon. The results were there for all to see last season: DJ and Froling were a far better defensive/ rebounding combo than DJ and Wiley. Wiley just gets lost on defence and for all his athleticism, is a hopeless rebounder at this point.

Reply #740353 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:15 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754