Lovebroker
Years ago

SEM going after Casper Ware.

https://www.cairnspost.com.au/sport/basketball/south-east-melbourne-phoenix-sign-twotime-nbl-champion-tai-wesley/news-story/6f06b108c98aa1425f32d0adbf77b391

South East Melbourne is poised to make an aggressive pitch for NBL superstar Casper Ware.

Melbourne United remains in the box seat to retain the explosive free agent guard, a revelation in the league the past three seasons, but the Phoenix will ask the question should the NBL grand finalists be unable to broker a deal.

Ware, like most imports, has previously put off signing NBL deals until late in the off-season, following any potential NBA and Euro-League opportunities.

Phoenix general manager Tommy Greer confirmed the franchise's interest in free agent Ware.

"We would be interested in a player of his standard," Greer told the Herald Sun.

“We’re going to go hard (in free agency), we’re going to go early, obviously we’re the new kids on the block and need to get out and make a bit of noise and target guys that we want.

“It’s not a massive free agent market, we know the guys we want and we’re going to move pretty quickly to lock them in.”

Ware is one of eight United free agents, including Josh Boone, DJ Kennedy, David Barlow and Craig Moller.

“They won the championship two seasons ago, they were runner-up last year ... there is some pieces that any team would like to have on their roster,” Greer said.

The Phoenix opened free agency with a bang yesterday, filling the first of its three import slots with two-time NBL champion Tai Wesley, on a three-year deal.

Wesley, 33, who moved to New Zealand Breakers last season after helping United win the 2017-18 NBL title, will partner explosive forward Mitch Creek, veteran scorer Ben Madgen and young gun Chima Moneke at South East Melbourne.

Wesley posted career-high numbers in points (14.4) and assists (3.5) last season.

But Wesley’s hard edge and familiarity with the league was as much a consideration for the Phoenix as the veteran’s ability to create off the dribble and attack the glass.

“You really know what you’re going to get out of Tai,” Greer said.

“Rather than going with that 25 year-old (American import) out of college who is going to be adapting to a new situation, a new country, a new style of play, comes with all sorts of risks.

“He’s (Wesley) been a proven, dominant player in the NBL … he was absolutely hot property on the free agency market so we’re excited he’s decided to come back and play for South East Melbourne.”

Topic #45051 | Report this topic

FM  
Years ago

Do SEM still think Creek is going to be there? I think he will pick up something after his 3rd 10 day or just hang in the G League playing a few 10 days a season.

Reply #740146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imo Creek will get a nba contract, but if it doesn't happen I’d see him at SEM as nba clubs no his value and hanging around the g league would be pointless.

Reply #740157 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Creek has an NBA out-clause in his SEM contract but not for G-League but I too think it's likely he at least gets a training camp invite from Minny or another team.

Reply #740160 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"Creek has an NBA out-clause in his SEM contract but not for G-League but I too think it's likely he at least gets a training camp invite from Minny or another team."

Question is though would he have an NBL (SEM) out-clause in any NBA Contract. I'd suspect that would be the bigger one ;)

Reply #740250 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"Imo Creek will get a nba contract, but if it doesn't happen I'd see him at SEM as nba clubs no his value and hanging around the g league would be pointless."

I don't know what basis gives you so much confidence that he will get one. I hear people pull out that one-line quite regularly and am always quick to remind them that there has probably been hundreds of players given 10 days (and multiple 10 days) and spat right out.

I'd love to see him get an NBA contract - I'm just not thinking its as secure/certain as you and a lot of people suggest.

Reply #740251 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Camp invite is what he'll likely get. He's far from a lock from that point because at camp you'll have a number of the better prospects that will be in Europe on good $$$ during the NBA season rather than the G-League hoping for call ups. He's a shot, but I think the more likely scenario is he misses a chunk of preseason time with SE Melb.

Reply #740253 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:06 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754