Aussie
Years ago

Nick Kay in the Boomers World Cup team?

Channel 10 sport in Perth and Andre indicating it's a real possibility.

Could only mean 1 of 3 things:

Trying to sell more tickets being he plays for the Wildcats but he doesn't actually get selected

One of our big names is injured

One of our big names wants time off

I'm not liking the sound of this

Topic #45067 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good player but not certain big enough for the four spot at international level, or fast enough.

Reply #740324 | Report this post

Food for thought (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Well who would have to pull out for him to make the team? Bolden? Maker? Motum? It's not impossible that they could want to take an extra power forward and to take him. The guy will definitely make the selection camp. The team has not been selected yet, so I would take this with a grain of salt.

Reply #740325 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Kay would be ahead of Motum and Maker for mine. Brings the toughness, rebounding and defence we need from a back-up PF.

Reply #740327 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I don't understand why Maker is so highly rated.
Kay is an outside chance at a back up spot.

Reply #740331 | Report this post

Years ago

I don't think we can underrate Maker's shooting, length or athleticism in getting him a spot. I mean the guy damn near blocks shots by accident. I'm open to giving Kay a spot but I'd definitely still have Bolden and Maker on the team.

Reply #740334 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Kay to Brisbane confirmed.

Reply #740341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

does Kay play in the nba

Reply #740342 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

is this like the time they thought the Wildcats playoff streak was a world record?

Reply #740349 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Here is more of the Kay story.

Andrej Lemanis conceding that other NBA players will be ruled out in the coming months

https://thewest.com.au/sport/perth-wildcats/wildcats-star-nick-kays-world-cup-case-needs-genuine-consideration-boomers-coach-andrej-lemanis-ng-b881155708z

Reply #740354 | Report this post

Years ago

Subtle difference in terms here, but he never conceded that others "will" be ruled out, he said it's possible that others "may" be ruled out, which is a constant possibility and always has been. He also said at the end of the article that it was possible that 20 NBA players could be running around on the courts in Perth.

The constant talk of Kay, though, leads me to believe that there is an NBA power forward - possibly Maker - who doesn't seem likely either from an NBA perspective or from a selection perspective. But what he says is hardly conclusive of some sort of Aussie-NBA player exodus as the "will" comment would suggest.

Reply #740358 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

You are right.

It's just me worrying I suppose.

I have bad memories of Phil Smyth coaching the Boomers :-)

Reply #740359 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

History tells us the best players aren't always available think back to Longley etc.

Reply #740362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Maker suspended from the fight in the Philippines

Reply #740363 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Kay is in the conversation if a number of NBA guys don't make it, sure. He's probably taken Bairstow's spot at this point (...especially if Bairstow isn't returning to Brisbane).

Reply #740366 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

To be fair, there's a ways to go between "deserves consideration" and "he's playing in the WC".

There's possibly always a litte incentive to pick one or two guys from the NBL for limited roles.

As others have said, and Lemanis concedes, history says there will always be NBA guys that become unavailable, dud to injury or choice.

And yes, by at least talking up the possibility, it gets Cats fans engaged.

I haven't looked. Anyone know when tickets go on sale and how much (for the Canuk game(s)?

PS: WTF does this mean "The Boomers will then face Team USA at Marvel Stadium the following weekend."???
Surely that's a typo?

Reply #740369 | Report this post

Years ago

Well the following Thursday and Saturday, the Boomers indeed do face Team USA at Marvel Stadium, so where's the typo?

Reply #740370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its the name of a new Disney movie

Reply #740372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the question is how can you not select Thon Maker? He gets selected on his flying kicks alone.

Reply #740406 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:29 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754