Isaac
Years ago

Hawks sign Sunday Dech for two years

Dech joins a Hawks roster that includes Todd Blanchfield, Tim Coenraad, AJ Ogilvy, Daniel Grida, Emmett Naar and Angus Glover.

Topic #45090 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's Dech's capability? Can be be a starting calibre player in this league?

Reply #740732 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How's their depth chart looking? Blanchfield's one starter - who's the other? Ogilvy and Coenraad did at points last season. Naar might be getting close?

Reply #740734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PG - Maar/Dech
SG - Import/Coenraad
SF - Blanchfield
PF - Import
C - AJ

Reply #740736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grida too

Reply #740737 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

?Import/Ogilvy
?Local/Coneraad
Blanch/Dech/Glover
?Import/Grida
?Import/Naar

I hope the league helps them out with the equalization money, Blanchfield is the only starting quality player they have, they can't afford to have 1 or 2 of the imports be budget level or Flinn will be just like Kelly last year.

Reply #740738 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I guess he didn't want to wait around for Damo to retire?
And this perhaps gives some guidance also to Perth's plans to fill the vacancies.

Saw just enough of him last year to think he's capable, and worth a sport and further development. He's a good scorer at SBL level, and shoots at a healthy clip. Has a good outside shot and can easily play 1 or 2.

He's nowhere near being a starter yet, even for the Hawks, abut is a worthy addition to the bench.

The fact they didn't want him in Perth as backup SG, suggest they will keep Steindl there, and sign somebody like Pinder to backup SF.

Is Naar good enough to start yet? I thought he showed promise, but hopefully they get a bit of that equalisation cash and can afford a gun import as their starting PG.

Reply #740741 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Ok, so here's what I think/hope is going on...

Going to spend 'big' (in Illawarra $) on a money guard.
Had a feeling Jett was coming back too (which I think is a must as his D was right up there this year, as was his penetration game). So-

Import / Naar
Jett* / Grida / Glover
Blanchfield / Dech

So plenty of depth & youth on the wings

TBA** / Coenraad
TBA*** / AJ

Now I thought Kev was coming back, but can't see where he fits unless Jett gets the flick.
** Think this may be King Conk... But I'd LOVE Moller in there!
*** Thought Ando was coming back too, but perhaps he wanted too many $$$.

So out of the unfilled (bigger money spots) who we got?
I'm hoping it's a gun import 1, Jett resigns, Moller in the 4 & Boone in the 5.

I think we needed more rebounding last season & Moller & Boone would get that done for us, along with AJ in that mix.

Fingers crossed.

Reply #740743 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Is Dech a two? He's only ever played the one as far as I can remember, where he's currently stuck behind Damo and Norton.

Reply #740744 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Going to spend 'big' (in Illawarra $) on a money guard.
Had a feeling Jett was coming back too (which I think is a must as his D was right up there this year, as was his penetration game). So-

Import / Naar
Jett* / Grida / Glover
Blanchfield / Dech
My previous post was in response to D2.0, and the page reloads to reveal someone wants to play Dech at the three now? Am I just thinking of the wrong guy here?

Reply #740745 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

From what little I have seen he is more of a 2 than a 1.

Reply #740746 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

My bad Koberulz

He'd be more a 2.
I'd grouped those 2-3s together.
Suuuuuurely Grida plays some 2 this year.
And Glover.
So I guess we're loaded with wings.

I wouldn't feel that comfy if we were going in to the comp with Naar & Dech as our PG rotation...

Reply #740754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dech is 195cm and strong. He can handle himself defensively as a two and maybe the three depending on the type of opponent. Offensively is another question

Reply #740758 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

There's barely a difference between 2 and 3, Dech I don't think can play PG, so he's a wing.

Reply #740760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see him get a roster spot. Tbh i didn't really want Perth to sign him as Hires replacement, imo it didn't feel like the right fit for him or the team for the upcoming season. I think he is better off at Illawara.

Send him over to the Hawks for 2 years of development and then bring him back once Damo retires ;)

Reply #740763 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Kobe, yes Dech is a PG, and as you say would be stuck behind Norton & Martin in Perth. I did wonder if they had him earmarked as the next backup PG when Damo retires, but that would not be for another year maybe two.
His SBL scoring is good, enough that I think maybe he could backup as SG also.
(But that thinking is based on the Cats keeping him and finding a role.)

Given the Hawks have Naar, I'm not sure whether they plan to use Dech at the 1 or 2?
But no way he plays SF at NBL level. Two small.

Reply #740776 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Frankly I'd start Naar. He is the future leader of the club, so fastrack his development and start him. He showed he plays better with better talent next to him

Reply #740779 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

I'd be ok with the fast track and start Naar plan, but we'd definitely need a gun defensive import SG as I'd hate to Naar tasked with steering the ship AND defending the Ware's, Trimble's, Randle's etc. of the league.

Reply #740780 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Does this mean Marshall Nelson will not be re-signed?

Reply #740787 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

With Norton and Steindl in Perth backcourt there might not have been room for Dech.
I'm also happy to see Illawarra give him a chance and see how he goes with them.

Reply #740788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disagree, Dech isn't a PG. He's a 3 and D 2/3

Reply #740791 | Report this post

A A Ron  
Years ago

Dech couldn't play PG at NBL level, he can defend 1-3.

Narr could start and that would be a positive move provided they get a legit import alongside him who can share some of the playmaking, then a Jett type playing as the primary backup for both.

Reply #740793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My thoughts on the make up off the Hawks

Import / Narr
Dech / Glover
Blanchfield / Grida
? / Coenraad
? / Aj / ?

A number of scenarios in the 4 & 5 spots with imports & locals
Would love to see either Bear ,Moller, Anderson come in
or go with 2 imports in the 4 / 5 positions & bring in a young big
don't think they need anymore guards with Dech & Grida mixing it up between the
2 / 3 spot

Reply #740804 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

No,if he were a "3 & D" he'd be signing with the Wildcats.

Dech has faced the same issues most players do. As a standout athlete at school he could play anywhere, and as you move up through the ranks, and the gene-pool expands, you get pushed further from the rim. He could play as a SF at SBL level, but if he wants an NBL career, it will be as a guard.

Reply #740814 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:14 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754