Lovebroker
Years ago

Jawai unlikely to return to the Taipans.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/lofty-club-plans-for-a-taipans-great-seem-to-have-taken-a-back-seat/news-story/8019efcfbd1ab8d3756ee11fd1947f96

The scenario facing Nate Jawai and the Cairns Taipans is a regrettable one for all.

The Cairns Post reported on Monday that his future was in serious doubt with the club and since then, it has become more evident that he has all but played his last game in orange.

The big man is 32 and will be 33 when the 2019-20 season ramps up and he should be about to enter the phase of his career that Alex Loughton just enjoyed.

The now retired captain was celebrated at every opportunity over the last two years of his career, not just in Cairns but around the league, and that is exactly what Jawai should receive in his twilight years.

Like Loughton and like another club champion in Aaron Grabau, Jawai deserves to be celebrated in his last few seasons in Cairns but instead he has been left in limbo.

You only have to attend one home game in the Far North to see who the fans swarm to for a photo or high-five after a game — it is the best sweaty bloke with No. 15 on his back.

As a local product from Bamaga, he is the most marketable player they will ever have on their roster and who has just had his best season in years.
Consider these comments from Taipans boss Mark Beecroft on June 3, 2016 when Jawai was unveiled as a Taipan for the second time.

"We want to build a long term program for him, like we have done with Kerry Williams, with our indigenous programs for health and wellbeing and driving positive messages into communities," Beecroft said.

“Our aim, when Nate's career comes to and end, in a long period of time from now ... when that time comes, we will transition him into that program, alongside Kerry, and driving positive messages.

“What he delivers away from the court will be just as important for our club and Nate going forward.”

In his three years at the club, Jawai claimed the Commitment to the Community Award at the club’s end-of-season awards on two occasions.

And, after two injury interrupted seasons to start his contract, 2018-19 was his statistically best in many years.

Jawai has held up his end of the bargain, he has worked his backside off away from the court for the club and he has obviously done that on the court when his body has allowed him.

The club, though, have promised him a pathway into life after basketball and with several good years left in Jawai, have left him in limbo.

The article seems to lean towards the Cairns Taipans abd Beecroft owing Nate a living, they don't. It's a business and if Nate's asking price is too much then it is understandable.

Overall I think Nate does still have value in the NBL, he is still a significant low post presence and a good passer. But he is slower, a poor shotblocker for his size, and has to be nursed through a season.

Who would want Jawai?

Perth to replace Brandt?
United to replace Boone?
36'ers to replace Froling (if applicable)? Unlikely suited to fast pace.
Sydney already have Bogut.
Illawarra already have AJ.
NZ are chasing Long.
SEM?
BrisVegas have Hodgson.

Topic #45102 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings. Has family in Sydney

Reply #741003 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Would be great for him to stay in the NBL but he might be better suited to a backup.
Replacing Brandt or Boone would be a big ask.

Reply #741005 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Fearne & Jawai were joined at the Hip, so its not surprising his commitment to Nate was stronger.

But Kelly needs to be careful. Surely he's been here long enough to understand how we think?
Cairns's fans will have his head on a stick if he doesn't re-sign Nate.
If they need more money for his salary, then they should divert whatever pittance they have in their advertising & marketing budget, because Jawai is it.

Reply #741006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai player swoop with Cadee and Dalton

Reply #741007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beecroft the JVG of Cairns, unless Jawai demanding unreasonable money he should be extended, even as 10-20 minutes player.

Reply #741008 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Cairns's fans will have his head on a stick if he doesn't re-sign Nate.

Are you really suggesting that they pay Nate whatever he wants? What about contract length? However long he wants too?

Can I ask you if Damian Martin went into Troy's office and demanded he be paid the same as Cotton for 3 years (thereby blocking any attempts at White, Long or any gun imports), would you sign him up or let him go?

Reply #741011 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

I hear a very strong rumour from a close source that he may return to the Wildcats.

Reply #741015 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

i feel like he'd go back to Perth. He was in a good situation there, didn’t have too much pressure on him, and was part of a championship team and franchise. Bet he was on decent coin as well.

Reply #741020 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Big. Just like Goulding to the Bullets

Reply #741023 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

Matt, why haven't you said anything if you had a source?

Reply #741028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boone is a bust and broken.

Reply #741030 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Jawai is joining Sydney. Shawn Long is joining Perth.

Reply #741037 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Nate's done. More time for him to fish off the cape.

Reply #741051 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Fake rumours a plenty it seems.

Reply #741052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon Nate's done. I am pleased after his near blindness that he has recovered, but for the sake of Nate move on. Get a stable life out of basketball and give back to your community and the rest of Australia that has appreciated your journey. Seriously mate please stay fit. Great guy who I have never met, but long admired.

Reply #741058 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Jawai just had a great season

Plenty left in the tank

Reply #741060 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Are you really suggesting that they pay Nate whatever he wants? What about contract length? However long he wants too?"

Where did I say that?

The tone of the article quoted suggests they don't WANT him, which is madness.
Obviously he should command less coin at this point in his career.

But I simply cannot conceptualise a scenario under which you would not keep him.
If another team offers him $X over Y years, my understanding is that Cairns just need to be "close enough", for him to stay.
And if he is worth $X to another team, then he is worth twice that to Cairns.

Reply #741069 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Can I ask you if Damian Martin went into Troy's office and demanded he be paid the same as Cotton for 3 years (thereby blocking any attempts at White, Long or any gun imports), would you sign him up or let him go?"

That's actually funny, because Perth probably would pay him that if they could. They'd just make the money back selling Bobble-Heads.
If somebody has never been to a Perth game, it may be difficult to comprehend just how popular Martin is.

The issue at Perth, is that they really need Wagstaff and Martin to fit within the bench-cap.
The issue at Cairns is that they have no money, and his doctor has told Nate to knock back the free Fish & Chips.

Reply #741072 | Report this post

Food for thought (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Nate is far from done. He could easily play a solid bench role on more than half of the teams in the league. He still has unmatched size in this league and that counts for something.

Reply #741073 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Still has plenty left in the tank and easily one of the most marketable players in the league so I think he is worth whatever Cairns can afford (surely Loughton's contract would be worth more this season than a player back from college say Sam Froling so that extra $ should be used on Big Nate.

Could easily be a valuable contributor on any NBL roster (maybe Adelaide not as much) but if he doesn't stay in Cairns then I think a combo with AJ at Illawarra (you'd imagine they'd both battle it out for a starting spot yet both be very affective off the bench. Or again at Perth and his fitness seemed far greater than his season in Perth and the fans will love having him back.

Agree with sentiments above, NOBODY is as popular as Damian Martin at RAC Arena

Reply #741078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I remember Jawai as a rookie and had the world at his feet, NBA were very interested and got there. Just didn't have the discipline to make it, as many before him have experienced. Weight and health problems never saw him reach full potential, but has had a better career than 99.99% of playing population. Would be a solid contributor on the right team, imagine him backing up Bogut and creating a twin towers. Genuine fan favourite who deserves to finish his career in style. Don't know what his asking price is or if he dousnt fit in Kelly's plans, but hope he finds a home. Think teaming up with Adelaide isn't too much of stretch, think he could complement dj together in limited minutes and be a good change up in speed. One of few players in prime I would pay just to see him.

Reply #741081 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I wish I had more Cairns footage from his rookie year. I remember him being incredible to watch, but I only have one game.

Reply #741083 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I remember him being pretty frisky in the 2007 ASG, but watching it now, the pace looks so slow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX42AEpO-EY

Reply #741088 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I remember how dominant he was as a rookie in a strong crop of rookies.
I hope he plays on while Cairns get another spoon.

Reply #741092 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

That pace does look disgusting Isaac! I shared the same memories as you.

Reply #741100 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

Let's just wait and see what the full story is first. I find it hard to believe the Taipans have simply said they're not interested in having him return. The Cairns Post story seems a little one sided to me. Jawai was on very big money and although all of that wasn't being paid by the Taipans, they're contribution wouldn't have been minor.

Reply #741105 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Something has to go into the Taipans' Trophy Cabinet.

Reply #741114 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Look for all that Jawai has been the punchline of many a fat joke over the years the truth is as a young man he was pretty darn special, good enough in fact to make an NBA roster. If it were not for an irregular heartbeat he may well have spent a good stint of his career in the show but unfortunately we will never find out.

He of course spent several solid years in top flight European leagues but that was stint was sadly again cut short by a freak injury.

His comeback from that injury is particularly noteworthy in that he returned to the NBL to be an absolute key part of a Perth Wildcats Championship and he remains a favourite in that part of the country.

Even now in the later parts of his career he remains someone that will hurt you if you fail to provide him the right amount of defensive effort.Where ever Nate ends up next I am confident he will provide outstanding value.

Personally I hope it's Perth, he seems a good swap for Brandt's presence and is already aware of the "Respect the Bloodline" culture which Perth is known to drives. He is completely aware that he is already a part of that "Bloodline" even if it were for only a short time. I think it would be great for him at this stage of his career to return to somewhere he is wanted and somewhere he has experienced championship success.

Reply #741124 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Call me crazy, but I think we are a chance of landing Randle

Reply #741142 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Brisbane have already signed Sobey to be their PG.

Reply #741143 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

What I meant to say was that one of Cairns, Brisbane, New Zealand, Illawarra, Sydney, Melbourne, South East Melbourne are a great chance to land Randle

Reply #741145 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

What I meant to say was that one of Cairns, Brisbane, New Zealand, Illawarra, Sydney, Melbourne, South East Melbourne are a great chance to land Randle

After Zodiac told you Brisbane already has Sobey, you are truly challenged.

Reply #741150 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Would any NBL club even want Randle?

Reply #741151 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Haha, Lovebroker, you're either playing dumb out of spite or need to keep pace with what I say on this forum. Either way, get your shit together mate.

Seriously thinking Cairns are in with a shot

Reply #741153 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Call me crazy, but I think Cairns would be well served running a mix of Kenny and a young Aussie at point, and spending their imports slots to get better options elsewhere.

Kenny must be the most consistently under-rated PG in the league.
He'll never be a huge scorer, but if you can get scorers elsewhere he doesn't have to be.
Not what you'd call an "A grade" option, and I'm the first to say that PG is the most important role on the court, but maybe he's good enough to allow them to focus elsewhere.

I don't know if Randle would or wouldn't be a good fit??
Yes, the mantle of number one scorer would sit comfortably with him, but they're also likely to have a lot of players depending on him for set-ups.

As for Jawai, if he has to leave, I would love to see him back in Red, provided those long flights don't fuck up his back again.
But I still think Cairns would be mad not to re-sign him.

Reply #741171 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Kenny looked washed last season.

Cairns desperately needed any offence last season, he was a passenger. I didn't see any genuine on-court positives that would keep him employed.

Reply #741177 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I think Randle could be in orange next year, he seems to love the league and Cairns is a beautiful place to live so maybe after all the old farts he played with in Sydney he wants to play with some young enthusiastic Taipans that he can help elevate like Sam Froling for example

Reply #741270 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I have been to or through Cairns three times. It was rainy every time.
But on the plus side, I know someone who lives there on a decent spread, and his garden is incredible. He just sticks things in the ground and they grow. He would sometimes bring them to work, mangos, pineapples, paupaus, you name it, all just growing in his backyard.

Reply #741298 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:52 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754