Isaac
Years ago

Moller signs with Kings for two years

The Sydney Kings will welcome back Sydney-local Craig Moller on a two-year deal (second year Club option).

Topic #45114 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings shaping up very nicely, Melbourne will spend big on imports but there local stocks looking thin.
In interview I saw a few weeks back he said looking for more time, can see him playing in the 3/4 spot and he's got what kings have lacked, athleticism and good D.

Reply #741375 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Essentially a one year contract.

With other teams purportedly in the mix, surprised he didn't get a guaranteed two.

Reply #741377 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Another unexpected signing. Really happy to have him back.

Reply #741378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's job is he taking from last year? Is Deng Deng returning

Reply #741380 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You'd think he could give them what Wear did without tying up an import spot? I had wondered if they might shift Newley to the bench unit, but maybe not if Moller is already there.

Reply #741381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moller was happy with one year contract, kings signing all there players to two, they are trying to build team chemistry, not like the last three seasons under JVG who thinks you buy championships.

Reply #741382 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I believe Deng Deng is a FA, although I was under the impression he had signed for 2 years. Would love to see Deng Deng in Illawarra or Cairns to be honest.

Moller could fill the Wear spot I think. Not sold on his man D on the perimeter and I think his skillset is more undersized athletic PF, which works OK next to Bogut. Would let us go after a scorer at the 2/3 and probably roll with 2 imports again next season, depending on budget. I think a lot of coin tied up in Bogut/Ware/Lisch/Newley already, so I wouldn't be shocked with 2 imports, or a budget gap filler for the 3rd.

Reply #741383 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

He'll back up the 3/4 & maybe start ahead of Newly if the Kings want that experience off the bench.

Great signing!
Obviously a one year deal so if the Huskies come in to the NBL they'll want him as he's their main man in Tassie (& the real SEABL MVP : )).

Reply #741384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Iam hoping Kickert isn't backup Centre

Reply #741385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what does the Kings need now

Reply #741386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After White tore Kennedy and McCarron apart in the GF series and Moller not given a chance on him I'd say it was always on the cards he’d be looking elsewhere, thought Cairns and Illawarra would’ve had a look, Weaver must be doing good already getting Moller and Ware there already.

Reply #741387 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It's an interesting signing a lot of people on here were saying he wanted to leave United for more playing time. I can't see him getting that at the Kings.

Maybe they actually intend to start him? I was the under impression they would go for more of a banger import PF to reduce the load on Bogut a bit and you wouldn't start Moller at the 3 ahead of Newley but he could step in to the 5 there if Newley falls away.

Kickert is the back up PF and Hunter the back up C so I think Moller's either signing with the Kings to be the back up SF or possibly the starting PF?

It's a bit odd either way really but good on him the Kings are piecing together a legit contender next season.

Reply #741388 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Word on the street is Kicks is gonna play back up stretch 5, which worked at times for them last year.

I like the idea of Moller in the 4 with a gun import in the 3. With the calibre of defenders already there, could the Kings go for Chill or Conger?

Love the length & defensive possibilities of a

Ware
Lisch
Childress or similar
Moller
Bogut

With Newley & Kicks the vets off the bench.

Is the rumour Kevie White coming back got any more legs?

Reply #741389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

11mins to a starter

Reply #741390 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

I think more teams need to trust & give their youth some time, or at least get one or two of them in the main rotation. Everyone can laud Perth for Nick Kay, but let's not forget the opportunity, faith & minutes he got playing for the Hawkies.

Morale of the story - give a young bloke a go & see the return on your investment.

Look how Sobey & Weekesy performed once given a crack. I wish more clubs had faith in their young talent.

Reply #741392 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Sydney still need an import 4 but getting Moller who can play both forward spots is a good move by the Kings.

Deng Deng and Majok Majok might be a good fit for Cairns.

Reply #741393 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Moller is decent but as good as many here seem to believe.

He is athletic with good motor and hustles on defence. I haven't seen much in the way of basketball IQ or shooting.

He does have a place on an NBL team but he might be in a rude shock if he thinks there will be more playing time at the Kings.

Barring injuries he will be behind Newley, Import 3, Next Stars import and the Kings towel boy on a good shooting night.

Reply #741395 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Air Delay....yeah, and then they leave you for money at 1 of the richer clubs!

Reply #741396 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

^That part is the cruel part of the bball love triangle : )

Reply #741398 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

But with a bit of luck the young talent we invest in now could be the next 'Campbell' or 'Saville' or 'Foreman' or 'Coenraad'....

I'm an optimist : )

Reply #741399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who's left for United to sign

Reply #741400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lovebroker

As a follower of United Moller has got good game IQ, he's a very good passer and team first guy, don’t forget Gaze wasn’t happy when he left, it was JVG who was in the way. I’d hazard to guess that kings and Weaver have obviously discussed game time which made Mollers agent and himself happy, time will tell I suppose. As a United supporter I’m annoyed we lost Ware and now Moller.

Reply #741402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moller was on an upward trajectory ever since his first season in Sydney under Gaze, however last season he plateaued. As a Melbourne United fan I'm not sad one bit about this loss as there is better players out there.

Reply #741403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^ Very hard to get better when you are playing behind two big money earners, McCarron and Kennedy, not getting time. When Prather went down the previous season he was great, defending the best threes in the comp and starting a few games including the semi final. I wish he'd been given a shot at White in GF, things might have been different.

Reply #741407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some idiot said "I haven't seen much in the way of basketball IQ or shooting."
Clearly your opinion is worthless because you really know nothing about CM. Better off not to even comment .

Should have been SEABL MVP. 3rd top SEABL scorer (24), SEABL top rebounder (12) oh and the list goes on.
His United minutes were poor and he definitely is capable of playing more time at I believe at a similar clip. Smart move by the Kings. He is a Sydney boy after all.

Reply #741408 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

"Who's left for United to sign"

That's a good question not alot to choose from but one name springs to mind Lucas Walker.

Reply #741411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Peter Hooley available.

Reply #741412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Import/Pledger/Smith-Milner
Fotu/Barlow
McCarron/Import
Goulding/McDaniel
Import/???

If they can get a back-up guard who can play 10mpg then that roster looks very solid because you know they'll get decent imports.

Reply #741414 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Agree with a couple of posters here. He was on an upward trajectory which finished with a great season with Hobart. Plateaued or almost went backwards last NBL season. Either reached his potential or just didn't fit with United and lost confidence. Definitely didn't shoot well.
Hopefully just a blip on the radar and he will be back on track to be an effective forward in the NZ and Aus NBLs.

Reply #741418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These free agent signing alerts are getting sadder, Ware was big but Moller good bench/role player. Surprised Teys didn't get his own thread

Reply #741420 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Surprised Teys didn't get his own thread

That's because the Sixers still haven't publicly announced it yet.

Reply #741421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Venky Jois returning

Reply #741423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not certain Teys had as many clubs chasing him as Moller.

Reply #741426 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The more I see of Moller the more he looks to me like a boy version of razors_girl23.

Reply #741429 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Here's some shooting comparisons... Moller shot a BETTER % than CG43!

& When broken down Moller was a 53% 2pt shooter & respectable 33% 3pt shooter.

CG43 shots 2s @ 50% & 3s @ 36%

Interestingly too, Kennedy shot 2s @ 44% & 3s @ 41%

Oh, & then there's Casper, who shot 2s @ 45% & 3s %36

So if you compare their overall shooting percentages it goes-
Casper 40%
CG43 41%
Kennedy 43%
Moller 44%

So when someone notes that Moller 'can't shoot', what's that saying about the big time UTD superstars that were taking all the shots. : )

Reply #741435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Air Delay
It's an open forum, but it’s great that you point out some posters can’t see the wood through the trees, or listen some commentators who have not got a clue. Keep up the good work though, your post are normally insightful.

Reply #741437 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[So if you compare their overall shooting percentages it goes-
Casper 40%
CG43 41%
Kennedy 43%
Moller 44%]

True shooting percentage:

Kennedy 55%
Ware 53%
Goulding 53%
Moller 50%

Moller is usually the 4th or 5th option on the floor, which means that his shots are often wide open. He receives the ball after the defence double teams the others

For someone who gets such little focus from the opposition's D, his shooting was indeed a weakness for United.

However, his D is strong, so if he can improve his shooting then he’ll be deserving of more court time. He may yet make a starter in the NBL. Disappointed to lose him.

Reply #741445 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Hadn't laughed out loud for awhile, then I saw someone post a twitter comparison picture of Moller next to the sloth from Ice Age. :D :D :D

Reply #741455 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

Bit of a round about signings at the moment between Melb and Sydney - why not just change each teams colours for a season

Reply #741482 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Interesting/Curious signing.

As always depends on what they're paying and what role they expect from him...

Perhaps, as some have alluded, he was not favoured by Vickerman, and so has come relatively cheaply.If so, and he fits in the bench-cap, and he's going to be a 3/4 option off the bench, then good signing.

Reply #741487 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

My comparison was way better, but I guess only the old school forumers with good memories will get the reference.

Reply #741500 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

forumites*

Reply #741501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Had a few beers with kings supporters over weekend, that seem in the know, said Bogut was the pushing for Mollers return, said Weaver was proactive while still coaching his G league team. United were surprised he ended back the kings.

Reply #742063 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:38 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754