LC
Years ago

Is Ben Simmons now more likely to play for the Boomers?

With Simmons' participation in the World Cup still undetermined, his contract status is one of many factors that will decide whether he suits up for the Boomers this year.

David Patrick’s addition to the Boomers coaching staff could prove to be one of the best moves off the court by Lemanis, especially if it has Simmons pulling on the green and gold in China.

David Patrick added to the Boomers coaching staff, will Ben Simmons follow?

Topic #45118 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure it'd move the needle. I think the best chance is LK (or whoever stands to gain most) offering money for him to play, even if under the guise of it being an insurance-type thing. I'd say this has already been offered/done.

Reply #741458 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Isaac - have to admit it would be pretty sad to have to see payments being made for a player to play for his country.

If it's payment for the necessary insurance premiums then I have no issue - but payment for the player's own bank account is not something which sits well with me.

Obviously, I can understand the Boomers doing it if it means getting Simmons (and its reasonable), and I wouldn't blame the Boomers. It would however not endear me to Simmons if he put it forward as one of his conditions of suiting up for his country.

Reply #741461 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It does go on a bit unfortunately but it's usually kept very quiet. The lid blew off on the getting paid to play for your country thing a few years ago when it was leaked that Andrew Wiggins demanded to be paid $1 million from Team Canada to play for them at a tournament.

In an ideal world I hope no player gets paid to play for Australia and if any player demanded payment I hope they get blacklisted from ever playing for us again, which would never happen I know.

Reply #741469 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

All the players get paid, but its mostly just a nominal amount etc.

It would be disappointing is Simmons doesn't have the drive to play for his country, but its not unexpected. We've never had a player of his stature before and even some of our NBA role players over the years have chosen to rest etc rather than play for Australia.

Reply #741472 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Cram, we're not talking about per diems for food and things like that.

Reply #741475 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I get that Zodiac, I was just clarifying that they do all in fact get paid. The hope is that they're not requesting more than that.

Reply #741477 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

Is anybody not look at this from Patricks view point, he wants in on the Aussie System, good contact with Aussie Kids and knowledge of talent. It is also in the coaches favour for recruiting turning Riverside into the new St Marys

Reply #741481 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"BA and the players agreed to a vastly improved Collective Bargaining Agreement late last year which runs until 2022 and offers much better conditions including best practice travel arrangements, 25 percent of revenue from key events and two-year notice of the expected schedule of games."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/patty-mills-calls-for-ba-to-invest-in-boomers-fiba-world-cup-lead-up-20190212-p50xc5.html

Reply #741483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

David Patrick is the biggest conman around. His only claim to fame in his coaching career is the Aussie kids he recruits. Now he's trying to cash in on the Boomers, probably say if they come play for him he'll put a good word in. Sure recruiting is a big part of college basketball but he is seriously dodgy.

Reply #741486 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

DP has left each pitstop along the way with am element of shade and secrecy, each time I have heard his name over the past 10 or so years it hasn't been in the greatest light. This appointment doesn't sit well with me at all. It wouldn't surprise me if Simmons wanted DP on the staff in return for playing. Patrick recruited Simmons to LSU and was also involved with Patty Mills getting to SMC I believe.

Reply #741499 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:49 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754