Zodiac
Years ago

FIBA cuts two games per team from 2020 Tokyo Olympics

MIES, Switzerland (AP) — The Olympic basketball tournament has been shortened for the 2020 Tokyo Games to cut the number of group matches from five to three for each team.

The International Basketball Federation (FIBA) says the new format will feature three four-team groups in both the men's and women’s tournament.

The top two teams in each group are joined in the quarterfinals by the two best third-place teams.

At the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics — where the U.S. won both gold medals — teams were drawn in two groups of six, and so played five games in the first phase before entering the knockout bracket.

FIBA says the new format is "bringing additional interest to every game of the tournament already from the group phase."

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2019/04/17/fiba-cuts-two-games-per-team-from-2020-tokyo-olympic-basketball-format/

Topic #45125 | Report this topic

D2.0  
Years ago

Weird, and really messes with my OCD...

So there's 12 teams, and only 4 are eliminated in the qualifying rounds?

And how exactly do they determine which 3rd place team misses out?
Is it based on scores? Or is one group a pre-determined group of weaker teams?

Call me simple, but what's wrong with the good ole standard 16 team tournament?
It works well because all the qualifying games are important, and there is opportunity for un-seded teams to cause upsets.

The problem with sending through two 3rd place teams, is that you're pretty well guaranteed that one or two of those teams will have won only one game.

Reply #741662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

making room to run the 3x3 Boring !

Reply #741663 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

All the more reason to rate the World Cup as the most significant international basketball tournament.

Reply #741668 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Ah yeah this sucks. At least expand it to 16 teams if you're going to do that.

The World Cup is definitely the premier tournament, its only the US and Australia who seem to see it differently.

"So there's 12 teams, and only 4 are eliminated in the qualifying rounds?"

That was always the case anyway.

Reply #741674 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Ok yeah, fair point.
I wasn't a huge fan of the 6 team groups.

I realise that one of the issues is "upsets" and seded teams not making it through. But surely that's part and parcel of playing in a tourney? Bring your 'A' game, every game, or you risk an early exit or unfavourable quarter-final.

I don't know how 3 groups feed into 4 finals. It's just messy.
And with 3rd place teams going on, we could still see teams playing silly buggers, trying to finish 3rd instead of 2nd to avoid the USA in the semis, etc.

Reply #741690 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Other than ensuring all group stage games are taken more seriously by teams the only real justification I can see for this move is to make it harder for teams to game the system by trying to lose games to get a more favourable QF opponent which goes on in every one of these big tournaments.

Reply #741692 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:24 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754