anon
Years ago

Jervis leaves Wildcats

Tom Jervis has opted to explore other opportunities and will not be returning to the Perth Wildcats next season.

Jervis returned to Perth last season and averaged 3.8 points, 3.0 rebounds and 0.9 assists over 33 games and became a three-time champion with the Wildcats in the recent Grand Final series win over Melbourne United.
http://www.wildcats.com.au/news/article/thank-you-tom-jervis

Seems the Cats have to fill both 5 positions now.....

Topic #45128 | Report this topic

CT  
Years ago

here comes our new starting centre in Cairns, guys..

Reply #741761 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Wildcats are going to sign Shawn Long, I'm telling you.

Reply #741763 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Hope he gets a gig on an East coast team.

Not sure who is available for backup centre though

Reply #741767 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

I'm not surprised at this news at all tbh. I've been expecting this for a while.

I asked someone I know who tends to give me good info sometimes, I asked if we had known about this for a while and if so did we offer Brandt more.

He said he wasn't sure (I know right... Useless source)

But then he did say... There is a contract on the table and the cats are fairly confident it's nearly a done deal. He didn't say who it was for... Only that it was a "replacement" of sorts, and I took it to mean he meant for our bigs.

I didn't get any more info. I think he told me more than he intended too with that, and then refused to give me any further info.

I have no info to offer other than that speculative comment, well nothing more about bigs

Reply #741775 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Illawarra and Cairns will be like homeless dogs fighting for scraps to get him.

Reply #741778 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

With family in brisbane you can't blame him, hopefully he gets a gig closer to the family. He still has great value, stepped up big time in the finals

Reply #741785 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Homeless dogs fighting for 'scraps'....Crikey, maybe should give Jervis a bit more credit than that, he performed well when it mattered. He could fill a serious role on bottom 5 teams.
Trevor will be going after an impact big (and a back up) to compete with Kings roster.
Jawai to Perth as back up? Lots of rumours over this neck of the woods...

Reply #741787 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Jervis seems to have regressed plenty in terms of value.

I remember I really liked him when he started killing it for the Cats when a Knight injury gave him a great opportunity. And he kept Knight honest on return.

Misused by Lemanis in Brisbane and he really dropped off in his second season here.

Didn't do a whole lot in Perth season just gone tbh. I couldn’t imagine even Cairns and Illy clamouring for his signature but you never know. Wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t see him in the league again.

Reply #741789 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

You will see him in the league again....

Reply #741790 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Agreed that Jervis had regressed this season since his first stint in Perth. However he saved his best for the GF and played an important role. Maybe SEM his next destination? Shawn Long and Jawai would be very adequate replacements at the cats!!!

Reply #741800 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Didn't do a whole lot in Perth season just gone tbh"

You obviously didn't watch the GF series.

I'm the first to say that Tommy struggled during the season.
But he stepped up big time when it mattered, and that's what counts.

Every team could use a player like him.

This may be the last we see of Tommy. I can only assume that they have chosen to prioritise his wife's career at this point.

Anyone know if he is playing for anyone in the QBL?

Reply #741801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mike Dunigan?

Reply #741812 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Long and Jawai would be the best 5 man duo in the NBL. ever

Surely Jawai won't sign to play 10 minutes a game. Or less with occasional small ball lineups.

Although, if there aren't other offers....

Reply #741819 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

@ D2.0

I like the dude, but I think too many people are enamored by his solid Game 4 performance, which is folly.

Looking at the bigger picture:

G1 - 4blk, 3to
G2 - 6pts, 3rebs, 2ast
G3 - 6pts, 2ast, 3to
G4 - 6pts, 8rebs, 2ast, 3to

Semis vs Bris:

G1 - 4rebs, 3ast, 2to
G2 - 2rebs, 2ast

Not something that's going to have teams burning up his agent's phone, if in fact he is even seeking to play again.

His name hasn't popped up on the QBL radar yet, but I'm sure most teams within the greater Brisbane area would be making inquiries if he shifts here. Brisbane Spartans are especially lean and could make the most of his services.

Reply #741827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who replaces Jervis?
Jawai if he accepts backup role.
Anderson see Jawai.
Acouth.

Any SBL or College grads a possibility?

Duop Death perhaps...

Reply #741830 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I love Tommy, but am the first to say he was in very poor touch for most of this season.

But he did step up in the GF series.
As is often the case with role-players, stats don't paint the full picture. Unless you look at the opposition. Pledge and Boone failed to dominate, and Jervis played his part in that.

More importantly he showed he's still got ticker.

Not suggesting he's starting material, hasn't been is serious consideration for that, for a while now. But would be a handy backup for any team.

But yes, I suspect he's finished in the NBL. Iassume he'll be settling in Brissy for now, supporting his wife and looking after his child(ren).

Reply #741839 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

And is off to Cairns according to Lachy Reid

Reply #742235 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Probably a good move if true.
With the loss of Rob Loe, and assuming budget is still tight, he and Jawai will make a good pairing to hold the 5 spot.

It's still a bit of a trek from Brissy, but its only a 2 hr flight instead of 5 hour, same time zone, and far more feasible to maintain family life in Brissy. Plus Cairns might be a bit more flexible.

Reply #742252 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:24 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754