Anonymous
Years ago

SA Metro Men in Gold Medal Game 7pm

SA Metro has earned their place in the Gold game today at 7pm against Vic Metro after last nights win against former 36ers Assistant Coach Mark Radfords Tasmanian team in a neck to neck battle with numerous lead changes. It was the 4th quarter when #13 & 5 for SA took control of the game that led to the 58-48 win. SA Metro had good contributions from the entire roster over the course of the game. Great to see how Radford has built a strong Tassy program and the results are starting to show. They play off for Bronze against NSW Metro today at 1pm.

SA Metro has not made finals since 2016 but a shift in selection to an independent panel and change in coaching this year, this group of men has proven that a change was needed. Metro Men are coached by Jarrod Clarke and his Assistant Paul Rigoni. No doubt Jarrods extensive coaching experience, passion and willingness to adjust within the game as needed has been a major player in the success thus far for this team. Having former Premier League Coach Paul Rigoni alongside has enhanced their read on the game and gave them more options to respond with on the game board. The maturity of this coaching group managing 15-17 year old boys could also be a beneficial factor in managing the dynamics and personalities of a difficult age as players transition from boys to men. Getting the best out of a group that has over their junior years been part of representative team minus a few inclusions and exclusions but never seen the success that many thought they would has been a rapid transition and testament to the process getting it right this time. Paul is also the father of Jacob Rigoni now playing Div 1 College for Quinnipiac Bobcats and represented Australia in junior internationals. Great to see someone giving back after their own have moved on. A Gold Medal is definitely a possibility for this talented team, now enabled, supported, hungry for victory with self belief and finally an opportunity to show what they have always known they have to give.

SA Metro Women play for 5th at 9am
SA Country Men and Women play for 9th at 6pm and 9am respectively.

The Games will be available via live stats and live video feed. Links on the BA website.

Topic #45131 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA Metro Mens Gold Medal Game Live Stats 7pm
https://www.fibalivestats.com/u/BANJC/1141103/

SA Metro Womens playoff game for 5th 9am
https://www.fibalivestats.com/u/BANJC/1140432/

You tube link for Live Games
https://m.youtube.com/user/BasketballAus

Reply #741874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With adebayo out for vic, sa might have a slim chance.

Hopefully the boys sa program is on the rise again.
The young u16 women both metro and country look very good.
Not so sure about the young boys.

Reply #741875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck to these amazing boys and coaches. Sustained efforts over many years, staying focussed and loving the process gets results eventually. Well done to all of you. Go get those Vics.

Reply #741880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last years U16 country team made 4th at Nationals and many of those are in this years 18 team. They join a not so successful top age group based on previous years. Metro 16's and 18’s fell well short last year and only have 2 bottom age joining a team that has always been worthy of making finals yet haven’t. So comparing country this year is not appropriate as so many factors that are not reflective of the talent and beyond the players control. Next year may be different if Country can sort out their coaching and selection issues like Metro has to bring back some balance.

Reply #741881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

741 - actually the comparison between those results is interesting. Last years U18 metro had 6 bottomagers, from a team that finished 5th at nationals the year prior.

No doubt there has been a substantial improvement in this age group which is due to the efforts of players sustained over a long period and a great coaching group as OP does correctly point out in his initial post.

Reply #741882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you think a new coaching group is the reason the boys are playing in a gold game I think you're grossly undervaluing the players or grossly overvaluing how good the new coaches are.

The current group also has a number of players who won a gold at the classics 2 years ago so their is some talent there to start with.

Let’s keep a little perspective here.

Reply #741883 | Report this post

Team Mate  
Years ago

Do SA teams that make grand finals at national u18 / 20s, typically include one or two players who will go on to play some nbl or higher level?

And are there players in the current team who look likely?

Reply #741884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Occasionally there is the odd standout you can say will player high levels.

Isaac Humphries was one, Dante another. QLD had a bit of a rush of these guys; Stattman, Will McDowell-White and Frolings more recently stood out like crazy at U18 nationals and it was obvious they would be pros.

For this team;
At least 5-6 in this team will go on to play high-level college I'd guess. No clear standout pros just yet.
Until they get there to top colleges and get through that over their 4 yrs (easier said than done) it is tough to predict if they'll be NBL players her higher.

I'd say the one from this tournament is Mojavee and Giddey are ones that are almost a no-brainer.

Reply #741885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are these results unexpected or the usual? I see that this is the normal standing for Country teams over the past few years but aren't Metro Women generally around the mark?
Metro Women 5th
Country Men & Women 10th

Reply #741887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I do have perspective. Classics is Club and this is State Rep. I am purely talking State here. I mention not reaching their potential at this level as I am acutely aware of each of the players club success including at U14 Nationals, Dandenong and so on. That is my point, this group should have been performing better as a group for many years at state level given their success back at their clubs. Now the difference is the coaching and how good they are at putting those small group and individual success together to make a great State Rep team. That is where I make my point. The playing time and utilisation of these players has been done far differently than at Nationals the last few years. I do not criticise the players as they are still the same great players that will go back to their clubs and have great success. the issue for me and many others has been a few inclusions and exclusions of talent and how they allow each of the rest able to perform as well as and beyond what they do at Classics and alike with their club. Stop being defensive I am actually on the players side and calling the adults for how well they do to support them. I know and have watched many of these young men over many many years and taken an interest through association with these age groups and pleased they are able to show who they are collectively and what SA Basketball is and can be in the future. Exciting times at state level if the rest of the group can follow suit.

Reply #741888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA from all Rep teams have players that have gone on to NCCA Div 1 & 2 teams, Premier League, SEABL & NBL. There are even players with dual passports that have quietly rep for other countries and some play in leagues OS. If you want to keep up with the current groups from the last few years and upcoming then the Pick and Roll site is probably the best to follow.

Reply #741889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No. You have made some unintelligent assessments that lack any real substance.

I love your positivity there but your original post indirectly made some personal assertions with no substance.

Reply #741890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That puts you in perspective.

Reply #741891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://pickandroll.com.au/

and Coach Andrew Jankes site

https://www.highperformancehoopsnetwork.com/single-post/2016/05/28/What-is-JanxBall-1

It is also important to be aware that some years there os rare talent that dominates and changes the landscape of other teams success. The likes of Exum and Wiggins etc are those types pf players.

Reply #741892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Country need a massive shake up. Cant believe the South PL coach has even got a gig coaching anyone above social or church level.

Reply #741893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

890 just who do you think I am ? I can guarantee you are wrong.

Reply #741894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

892 - I'm impressed you bring up this article written 3 years ago in this context. I'm impressed you remember it so well given it was so long ago when the site was barely known. Maybe it hit a sorepoint with you? I challenge people to read the article and consider the ideas in the article.

These ideas only applies to Wiggins and Dante. Gold!!!!

Reply #741895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously you are bitter and twisted and I don't know who you are targetting and who you think I am but this is my last response. We are here to have discussion about topics and sometimes opinions differ. Thats okay, but lets remember its about the players not adults who seem to have a beef with someone, whoever that may be. Its quite laughable you raise specifics about something I am suppose to know about when I am not even the person you are aiming it at. Please continue on and maybe this mystical person will show up and be able to respond. For now I will have debate and conversations with others including those who challenge or differ in opinion but do not have a beef to grind. I am looking forward to discussing the win tonight hopefully and congratulating a team of young men who will finally be where they should be as a state rep team, with a gold or silver medal around their necks at nationals. Not to be confused with classics or other club and invitational events of course.

Reply #741897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just mentioning the links to the two sites were not meant to be specific to the articles but to the sites themselves for anyone interested in following Australian talent and those that support them. Nothing more than that.

Reply #741899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All good mate. Just having fun with you. You did make your point here too and the numerous other posts using the same language and structure over the years.

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/45122-sa-teams-at-u-18-nationals/#p741583

You know you can always contact the guy directly LOL I'm sure we'd have some fun.

One thing you say which is awesome is: " I am looking forward to discussing the win tonight hopefully and congratulating a team of young men who will finally be where they should be as a state rep team, with a gold or silver medal around their necks at nationals." - you should leave it at that though.

Reply #741901 | Report this post

Ceres  
Years ago

Can anyone shed a bit of light on the new selection panel that was used to put together this years State coaches, and how it was any different in past years? Is it the same system or panel that select both Metro and Country State coaches? It just appears to be very disjointed in terms of who was selected to head up the Metro teams and then it was anyone who was north of Gepps Cross that put their hand up for Country. Should Metro based coaches be appointed to Country positions if the Country options are not up to it? The 18's coach for Country appointed himself to the HC role as it was stated there were no better options. I just think that a Metro coach with experience and a history would be a useful mentor for the Country coaches. This is not an attack on Country but they need help and wouldn't you rather see all four of our SA teams at the top end rather than the Country teams continually bringing up the rear of the competition and this being classed as acceptable.

Reply #741902 | Report this post

Team Mate  
Years ago

Is this the first gf for SA U18 men since 2008 when the team beat Vic Metro in their pool game but were unable to repeat the result in the final?

Did Holmes/Forman also get to a final, for a win?

Any other teams in the last thirty or so years get there?

Reply #741908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe 1991 was the last time they won it in this age group.

Reply #741910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

off to a good start with significant lead in the 1st. Vica injury to their star player could highlight the reliance of too many teams on individual performance. will be an interesting game to see how their coach adjusts.

Reply #741912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

vic are terrible on defense without adebayo.

Reply #741914 | Report this post

Team Mate  
Years ago

Vic Metro win this championship around 70% of the time.

Vic and NSW between them, more than 90% of the time.

I guess the Vics see nothing out of balance with these results. And expect a city like like Adelaide to compete with Melbourne's five times greater population. Not to mention the issues faced by the country teams.

Surely this set up is simply unfair to the vast majority of participants?

How would Vic Metro go if they had to spread their talent across 3 or 4 teams?

Vic love to crow about their teams success. But how about addressing the glaring advantages they keep for themselves.

Reply #741915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nsw have the same numbers and they are still terrible.

Reply #741917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tight game now.

Reply #741920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As is tradition, the sturt players can't play through physical pressure unless they're protected down at pasadena lol

Reply #741926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congratz to vic metro boys and girls.
Clearly the best program in the country.

Reply #741930 | Report this post

Team Mate  
Years ago

Well done to the SA Metro players and coaches, a fantastic performance.

Vic metro girls and boys, clearly the biggest program in the country.

Reply #741940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How will the 16 boys go in July?

Reply #741941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Victoria have bigger pool to draw from and better resources. Latest big news in Adelaide is a new floor being put down in a tin shed.
SA country is a joke being coached by a clown. Only person that's 0-6 Or whatever bragging how good they're going. He's probably saying the tournament was a success.

Reply #741943 | Report this post

Baller68  
Years ago

Well done Victoria

Reply #741948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Easy to pick the u17 oceania team...
Very difficult choosing the u16 Asia team.

Reply #741949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those same boys won an u14 national championship and u16 national junior classic. Other than that, a really witty and well put together comment, well done, you must be so proud

Reply #741953 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Vic Metro should be split in 2, North/West and South/East, it's come up before.

Kids that miss out for Vic Metro currently are more talented than half the other players at the champs and yet miss the development opportunity which is the main goal of the tournament. VM also has more than double the number of registered players in the feeder comps, so it definitely levels the playing field from a tournament competitiveness standpoint.

Reply #741954 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Vic Metro should be split in 2, North/West and South/East, it's come up before.

Kids that miss out for Vic Metro currently are more talented than half the other players at the champs and yet miss the development opportunity which is the main goal of the tournament. VM also has more than double the number of registered players in the feeder comps, so it definitely levels the playing field from a tournament competitiveness standpoint.

Reply #741955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or a top age and bottom age team vic m

Reply #741956 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

I'd rather geographic split, otherwise the top age team would be too strong and defeat the purpose a bit, but top/bottom age would be better than just 1.

Reply #741957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The vics at the southern cross challenge now send a bottom age team. They still were able to beat the act and country teams from other states.

Reply #741958 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

I agree the bottom age team would be competitive enough, but then the top agers would still be too dominant I think, I'd rather an even talent split and a more even spread of teams that can win the tournament.

Reply #741962 | Report this post

Team Mate  
Years ago

Melbourne Boy, we'll said.

Vic Metro have more than enough depth to select two very competitive teams based on a geographic split.

Reply #741975 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:01 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754