Anonymous
Years ago

Premier League Power Rankings Round 8

1. Norwood Flames
What a difference a week makes. May have been harsh dropping them as low as they were last week and they sure proved their metal against Forestville. The loss against Woodville is in the rear view and with ex-import Brian Moultrie set to join them on Anzac day, they join the the top line of title favourites.

2. Mount Gambier Pioneers
Easily took care of North Adelaide after losing handily to them in week 1. Imports appear to have found their role and Daly boys looming as the best back court in the league. If Burdon finds his shooting touch it could be lights out for the competition.

3. Forestville Eagles
A one point loss to a good side is hardly the end of the world but for a group expected not to be challenged for the season it may have exposed some weaknesses. Rios finding some form to provide spark off the bench would help their cause.

4. Southern Tigers
After a comeback OT win against Mavs I thought the Tigers might be shaky but they steadied to handle a reeling West team. Will still need to beat some genuine contenders to move up but appear to be finding a little bit of form after a slow start.

5. North Adelaide Rockets
Tough road trip to the Mount and you can't help but feel they're underachieving slightly right now. Have the talent and coaching smarts to turn it around quickly though. Never easy early season with a brand new point guard, no matter how talented he is.

6. Central District Lions
Will be happy to have taken care of South at home. Imports both looking dangerous now with Riewer starting to show his class. Would probably have taken 4-3 if offered it at the start of the year. Will be looking to make a finals push.

7. Woodville Warriors
Handled business against the insipid Sturt. Looks as though Stanbridge has begun his mid season hiatus and they didn't skip a beat. Perry with a break out game of 40, hopefully a sign of things to come for the Warriors.

8. Eastern Mavericks
Two OT losses against teams who are finals contenders (or title contenders in Norths case) show they are on the right path.The next step will be learning to win those tight ones as it appears they had opportunities in both game. Morris may be the best import in the league.

9. West Adelaide Bearcats
Didn't expect these guys to stay down this low but after a weekend off and a loss by 20 to Southern there's no choice. Still have the veteran experience and coaching chops to make a finals run but have put themselves behind the eight ball.

11. Sturt Sabres
11a. South Adelaide Panthers
One of these teams will finally get off the 11th place line this week. Zach Allmon could prove a handful for Sturt but the Sabres have depth on their side. The coach of the losing side would be looking over their shoulder on Friday.

Bonus Easter All-Premier League teams through the first 1/3 of the season

1st Team
PG Tom Daly 24ppg, 5.8apg - Has led the Pioneers after a shaky start. All class and you can see why he's been successful at SEABL level for a long time.

SG James Legan 23.4ppg, 25 3s made - Top scorer on the best team. Proving Wet didn't fully utilise his abilities last year.

SF Anthony Drmic 27.2ppg, 7.8rpg - Struggled in week 1 but has shown since then he's a quality scorer inside and out in this league.

PF Majok Deng 26.8ppg, 11.9rpg - Has been the most consistent of the Eagles, and a tough matchup for any side.

C Brandon Morris 27.4ppg, 11rpg - Seems to be getting better every game. A handful inside with his post move and athletic ability

2nd team
PG Kane De Wit 8.3ppg, 8.9apg - Running the show at the Eagles and playing both ends. And underrated recruit this season.

SG Jack McVeigh 21.1ppg, 6.7rpg - Playing the 3 but we will slide him in here. Consistent scoring throughout the season.

SF Kentrell Barkley 21.2ppg, 14.8rpg - Started slowly but has shown he's a stat stuffer across the board with some big games.

PF CJ Turnage 26.3ppg, 11.2 rpg - Numbers up on last season, hasn't skipped a beat and is a tough cover inside.

C Brandon Brine - 20.4ppg, 10.9rpg - Another great Norwood recruit, has been played out of position but still had some monster games.

Honourable mention: Zach Allmon, Alex Starling, Tobias Dowdell, Greg Mays

Some fantastic players in the league this year - the most talent I have seen on the mens side in well over a decade. Going to be a fun race to the finals with some good sides missing out.

Topic #45132 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was liking it till I saw Kane De Witt? May as well throw Seb Vozzo in there too.

Reply #741904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leading the league in assists by a long way. Who do you think should be in there over him?

Reply #741905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has a few finishers around him to be honest, dribble off his foot and he'd probably get one.

Reply #741906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still waiting to hear an alternative! BJ? Webber? Staude? I'll take De Wit thanks!

West haven’t been good enough to give Thomas the nod.

Reply #741913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No space to put a guy who was player of the round after scoring 30 in a losing effort ???

Reply #741927 | Report this post

How can you possibly have de wit havent you seen vozzo play if he was given the minutes he deserves eastern would be top 3 on the power rankings easily and that's a fact

Reply #741928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately for Nik this blokes opinion isn't a popularity contest.

Reply #741931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a strange thing to be bitter about

Reply #741934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting Starling only a mention, have the additions resulted in him sharing the load more obviously, but chemistry out of whack? What are they, are power team with him and Dowdell or perimeter with McVeigh and Brick Johnson? Preseason favourites falling down the rankings quick while Mt Gambier surging.
Wait for Riewer out of Centrals start to put up numbers.

Reply #741942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not bitter, just shows how amateur this league still is despite how hard it's trying when a bloke who had the third best performance in that game wins player of the round because his mates voted for him.

Reply #741945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Starling some big games but also some quieter games. North with a few losses means they couldn't all make the top two teams.

Fully expect he, McVeigh and possibly Dowdell to make the end of season teams. Hawkes will work it out.

Reply #741946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawkes hasn't worked it out the last few years, what's different now. And all the BJ hoopla died down real quick, pretty bad except for a game or 2, can get in his head easy.

Reply #741950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But that's the idea of the POTR. It’s literally a popularity contest to help drive clicks and shares for the league to reach a wider audience. The esteemed PL media crew are not picking apart game film to make the selections each week. You must know this. Relax

Reply #741951 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Stop hating on a 20 year old kid who is putting up good numbers on a bad team. Nik still has a lot of room for development, clearly his year spent in the US has done him well. IMO he is one of the best young players we have in this league. Very funny to see these keyboard warriors hiding behind the "Anonymous" name still worked up over a POTR vote that happen 3 weeks ago. Just shows that he has support and love from friends and family. Let it go.

Reply #741966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it's just one clown who has an issue with it. Everyone else takes it for what it is.

I’d take Patty Thomas in my second team as PG

Reply #741967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When did I say he was shit? Just nowhere near player of the round. Good to see Sturt is delusional about more than just their team developing well. Hopefully all that friendship turns into wins soon.

Reply #741969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And posting under Paul really identifies who you are idiot!

Reply #741976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big Mac I'm not sure that Vozzo knows what an assist is?

Reply #741978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West's problems seem to be coming from the top, veterans trying to play over young guys is killing the team.

Reply #741988 | Report this post

BlakeyT  
Years ago

Oi shut up I've been winning NBL championships since before you were born

Reply #741989 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Well said Blake T. So much shit written here by non achievers.

Reply #741990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Am hearing an import has been given an early ticket home already.

Reply #741991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So who is it?

Reply #741992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clippinger? Purely a guess

Reply #741995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure the team will announce the change soon to their fans ,

Reply #741997 | Report this post

Tony C  
Years ago

Can confirm Rigby Alphabet will be flown back to Mt Barker later this week

Reply #741998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One of the West guys but I don't know which.

Reply #741999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heyward gone from West. Apparently asked to be subbed out late in the game and Maclean responded by giving him a plane ticket home.

Reply #742026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will Wise to West?

Reply #742029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see Perry winning the "who scored the most" award for the week.

Reply #742034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I expect West will go after an import guard if they replace him this late. Rennie not up to starting, been successfull with guards the last few years, looks like they went big to replace West and hoped youngsters would step up. Game I saw there was a lot of arguing on court, definitely not a happy camp.
I assume they would have to buy out contract making it an expensive exercise to bring another import in, unless they have a great second half of season would it be worth it?

Reply #742037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe they will bring Oldham back.

Reply #742038 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

West have a war chest for such things. Sure Oldham name been discussed. One out guarantee one in.

Reply #742039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is he available? Would have thought they would have brought him back as soon as possible.

Reply #742043 | Report this post

Annonn  
Years ago

Mclean wanted to go big this season, Oldham was discussed heavily, and many wanted him back. Shane heyward looked good on tape.
Think Coach corey has been caught out this season, with the league improving out of sight, and west being caught in limbo land.

Reply #742048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Maclean's intentions this year was to see what he had youth wise. Truslove and Spadavecchi to bench and he’s trying to play Rennie, Johnson and Ciganovic. He handed the keys to Thomas and Kubank. I think this year was an attempt to try and rebuild on the fly. I don’t think the theory was wrong just Heyward didn’t work. They hammered Southern Round 1 remember. Other than Truslove and Spadavecchi I think West are pretty young. Who’s the next oldest Thomas at 24/25?

Reply #742049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good on Corey for having a plan. Proven as a coach he can win now he has a plan to build sustainability that will make the program for attractive for juniors.

Their junior program is a mess, stuck back in eras goneby, so hopefully some senior development filters down and Corey reconnects and oversees some supervision over the junior program too.

Reply #742050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he wanted to go big why not keep Dowdell? His output is up this year v last year averaging close to 20 points and 10 rebounds per game in what is supposed to be a stronger comp

Reply #742056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dowdell was a nonfactor for West last year as the year progressed.

Reply #742057 | Report this post

Annonn  
Years ago

Most thought he'd back dowdell in given he lost his mum back in the US, and had to fly back mid season. He certainly didnt have an easy season. I would have backed him in for another uninterupted season, and see what he produced.

Reply #742061 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Spudaveccia is playing 30 minutes, hardly enough run for the young guards coming up.

They will be in trouble with no import coming in, are they deep enough? Their reserves team plays well but against what sort of competition

Reply #742064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who are you?
Homocide Williams ??

Remember the Wildcats ;)

Corey will get these Bearcats humming again.

Reply #742065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bearcats are boned unless Thomas, Kubank, Jefferson are dropping 20 each a night. Rest of the roster is young or too old.

Reply #742069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like they are boned then because that aint happening consistently enough.
Corey wont save anything without bringing in another gun. The Wildcats these Bearcats aren't no matter how much they come together.
Didnt the whole team turn on and defy king Corey at last years Woolacott?

Reply #742073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Losing West was key, even though he only made cameos. Was able to create a lot of matchup problems.
Relying on Spud for major minutes and even Truslove shows they're so called local depth is a fallacy. Corey's imploded at a few places with his "passion", is West the next in line? To be honest, without Oldham what have they really achieved?
What was the Woollacott decree? Not to go?

Reply #742100 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Reply #742108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt choking another lead. No surprise there. Rawson and import can only do so much with the rest of the rabble resorting to fighting, trash talking and whining. Lead by UFC fighter Matthews. Seriously an embarrassment. Alphabet a good cameo and even baiting south to celebrate like they won a title when he got dunked on. Oh well atleast they have their junior development to fall back on.....

How did Zinser win the medal? Hoppo had about 30 and was the only reason they stayed competitive all game. 2 very interesting Anzac medals awarded here today.

Reply #742229 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:40 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754