Anonymous
Years ago

What Are Melbourne United doing

Teams are starting to take shape, phoenix looking good with the aquisition of Creek, wesley and co, Bullets getting Sobey on board, Sydney signing Casper etc etc.

What exactly are MU doing.. You've already lost Casper, you would hope that Randle, Trimble or someone like that is signed to replace him. Re signing guys like Pledger and Barlow, all be it nice role players.. are not putting MU over teams like the wildcats, bullets and kings.

I would hope they have some good imports in mind, like Shawn Long to replace Boone who appears to be finished. If reports are true that DJ Kennedy was the highest paid player on MU which led to Casper's departure,then I don't really know what to say.

I know there is still months to the beginning of the next season, but if MU don't get these imports 100 % right then it could be long season ahead.

Rant over.

Topic #45143 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chill out mate

Reply #742132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poor Melbourne...... not

Reply #742134 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

Relax mate, Melbourne's Aussie core is strong with Goulding and McCarron with Pledger and Barlow off the bench. Most teams dont sort their imports out till after Summer League unless they are already signed (Cotton, Ware).

The Cats lost Brandt, Jervis, Dech, Hire and, most likely, White, but no one is stressing over here.

Relax.

Reply #742135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have don't have to stress when you have Cotton

Reply #742137 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

About as much as Adelaide are

Reply #742142 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'd love to see more playing time for Venky Jois... could that be a possibility this season ?

Reply #742143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Me to Venky kills it everywhere he plays

Reply #742144 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Goulding, McCarron, Pledger and Barlow with three imports to come is a good starting point I wouldn't be concerned yet if I was a United fan.

Reply #742146 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

When are United going to announce the re-singing of Barlow & Pledger?

Reply #742149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McCarron struggled big time on marking Terrico in GF when Kennedy went to the four, season ticket holders are entitled to have some idea before purchasing. What imports are they chasing ? Is it 1,3, or 5, 1,4 and 5 surely the paying public should have some idea.

Reply #742151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vince will sue bogut and win big $!
It will expand the cap for melb united and
vince will work his magic recruiting as always. (Or Larrys open chequebook!)

Reply #742154 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Melb will no doubt roll out two quality imports and a good 3rd import. Nothing to worry about, IMO. Their core is fine.

Reply #742156 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

According to the Overtime show, Melo Trimble is very likely to sign with United

Reply #742158 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

OP, you can always email United or give them a telephone call.

Reply #742159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just like to no who the Aussie players are is
Peter hooley returning

Reply #742160 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

United are going to be strong contenders again.

If they get Trimble they will be very strong.

Also finding upgrades for Kennedy and Boone won't be hard.

Finding Ware's replacement will be the hardest part, which will quickly be resolved by Trimble.

Reply #742163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smith- Milner I'm hearing. No noise on hooley yet.

Reply #742165 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Lovebroker; I think you underrate Kennedy. I'd be happy to have him in Sydney. He's a quality #2 import. Didn't have the best finals series, but neither did anyone in Melbourne really, and a single more win in the regular season would've given them homecourt advantage and the title regardless IMO.

Reply #742168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kennedy was good but he costs big big $$$$$$$$$ and United didn't get the result, where as White who probably on half what Kennedy got paid got the job done.

Reply #742173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smith-Milner sucks and doesnt deserve to be in the NBL

Reply #742189 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Melbourne United are doing the same thing they did last year.

None of the imports were signed until June? July?

Bottom line- United has quality Aussies signed up, and the money to find a good import group.

Vickerman noted in a recent interview that the loss of post play after losing Wesley hurt them in 2018/19. I'm taking that as a hint that at least one of Boone or Kennedy will be gone, in favour of someone with better post play.

Reply #742195 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Yes its disappointing for fans that they lost Ware.
But in that scenario its normal to wait until after Summer League to sign imports.

Still waiting to see where Bairstow lands

Reply #742202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trimble has already committed to Utd, wait for the announcement.

Reply #742205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trimble is no Ware, this will be interesting, on the other side of the coin Vickerman made Goulding a much better defender.

Reply #742210 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

They should have started Moller all last season in the 4 as I suspect he may at the kings. He had the height and athleticism they needed in that spot and has proven in Seabl and nz nbl he is a gun in that spot with a strong post game and good mid range jumper. Barlow played well but in the second half of the season lived and died by his wide open 3 point shots. He is a better back up 3 spot. Macaron is a 1-2 spot only player. Goulding is useless in the 3 as he can't defend. I think they will struggle to have macaron and Goulding in the same team and win a championship unless macca plays point and improves to an import standard. Then they could get a 3 4 and 5 import. But it won’t happen they will go for Trimble.

I think they will struggle to defend next year. Their 2 strongest defenders have gone to the kings. They hardly ever didn’t have a rotation with one of those guys on the court. I suspect they will try to get Casey Prather back and Shaun Long to play C and be screwed in the 4 spot. Vickernan is a defensive mindset coach but always gets lured into offensive based talent. Also he doesn’t effectively use his bench rotations. They will be offensively strong but defensively pathetic. Will lose first round of finals in NbL 20.

Reply #742218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^

In my humble opinion there is a lot sense in the above post. Not certain Moller will start for kings but will be given a lot more time. Melbourne probably didn't think he’d get other offers, though still a bit surprised he didn’t end up in Cairns or Illawarra.
Defensively I agree, Melbourne had better get there imports right or they will leak points, Ware was off a bit in the GF series but massive loss.

Reply #742219 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

No offense intended, but saying they need to get their imports right is really just pointing out the obvious. Especially with the 3 imports now allowed, every team needs to get them right to be competitive.

I think what is far more critical, and far harder to achieve, is getting the Aussie Core right.
That is what the Cats traditionally do well, and where they left the comp behind last season.
Around this time last year, I was predicting big things from the Cats, and people laughed, but the signing of Norton and Kay was massive.

That's where MU fans should be worried.
After losing Wesley as a local, they were left a little thin, even with Barlowe having a massive start to the season.
Now they have lost Moller. I don't think he starts for the Kings, but he was good depth to have on the bench.
Replacing Trist with Jois was probably a move in the right direction, and hopefully will pay dividends next season.

But they are running out of options to lock in local talent.
Perhaps they're talking to Bairstow?
Or someone ex-Europe?
Are any of our NBA players likely to be cut?
If they resign Pledge, they may have to start him and find some youngster as backup, and sign an import PF?

Reply #742224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

joseph lual acuil jr Israel 12 17 pts 10 rebs
Mangok maithang Italy 27 10 pts 9 rebs

both play PF C

Reply #742226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mangok maithiang ive heard to Phoenix.

Reply #742227 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

IMO, Bairstow a near perfect fit for MU. Back-up to Barlow, play same role as Wesley did as in post and mid range O and solid D. BUT, the Bear is too good a free agent to be without a home unless.... is he injured?

Reply #742254 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:45 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754