Aussie
Years ago

Should Boomers v Canada matches be sold out already in Perth

Whether Simmons plays or not, the Australian Boomers v Canada series at RAC Arena in Perth, should have sold out already imo.

Our strongest line up with NBA players v Canada's NBA stars.

Only 13,800 x 2 seats to fill for a relatively rare occasion.

August is still along way away but I would have thought tickets would have been snapped up pretty quickly.

Perhaps Perth people are just mad about the Wildcats?

Topic #45156 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes.

Reply #742397 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

As soon as I saw the ticket prices I was like screw that I'll catch it on tv.

Reply #742399 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

Pay for my ticket I'll go

Reply #742400 | Report this post

Food for thought (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Perth fans have been whinging for years that they don't get enough Boomers action, then when our best-ever Boomers team turns up on their doorstep they're like "no, sorry. Too expensive. Not enough Damien Martin here".

Reply #742402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've got my tickets. It's still ages away, it'll sellout soon once it starts getting more hyped up and teams are announced.

Reply #742404 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

No, it's a poor man's opponent compared to what Melbourne get. Expensive scraps not being not sold out is hardly surprising.

Reply #742411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good Perthworld use your words

Reply #742419 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Whoops!

Reply #742420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I haven't looked at what's left.
Whilst there were some cheap seats, facts is that the majority of seats were badly over-priced.

This is not about "whinging". It's about a very poor pricing structure, and trying to suck in boobs who have never been to the Arena.

If you got in early, probably did ok, but they have classified most seats as "Gold", and some of those are in the nosebleeds. Presumably they are trying to sucker people who will just think "ok 'Gold" must be good seats."

Gotta love how the Adenoids always want to insist that everyone must share their view of the world.
There are probably about 5 people in Perth who think "oh a Canadian team with some random NBA players, how wonderful" and I'm sure you will all be at the games. The rest of us don't give a flying fuck.

Last time we played Canadia, and in a tournament that actually meant something, they couldn't even be arsed sending a semi-competitive team. We have zero sporting rivalry, the games are meaningless, and the addition of some random NBA players we've never heard of doesn't fix that.

And lets be honest, slag-off at Wildcats fans all you want, this exercise is a cynical attempt by BA to cash in on our Championship by flogging these games to the Red Army.
And yet, and despite winning the Championship, and having by far the most supporters, we get disrespected again with the Fat Ugly step-sister.

Reply #742422 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Reply #742423 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

So you wouldn't pay to see Simmons or Mills, Delly, Bogut, Ingles, Baynes etc all on the one court, representing their country?

You get to see them in a live Arena?

But it's more about who the Boomers play?

Wow. Our last Boomers team played at home at Rod Laver Arena and drew 15,000 and their opponent was NZ

Reply #742426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't see why most ppl would rush to buy tickets. Wait until teams are confirmed then decide if it's worth it.

Reply #742436 | Report this post

Years ago

"No, it's a poor man's opponent compared to what Melbourne get. Expensive scraps not being not sold out is hardly surprising."

12 NBA players. A team that is expected to be in the medal hunt. And Australia's best ever team. Yes, such scraps. poor Perth!

"Gotta love how the Adenoids always want to insist that everyone must share their view of the world.
There are probably about 5 people in Perth who think "oh a Canadian team with some random NBA players, how wonderful" and I'm sure you will all be at the games. The rest of us don't give a flying fuck."

Can't get up for NBA players yet Greg Hire is basically a town hero over there? Yep, Perthians are as 'tarded as I assumed.

"And lets be honest, slag-off at Wildcats fans all you want, this exercise is a cynical attempt by BA to cash in on our Championship by flogging these games to the Red Army.
And yet, and despite winning the Championship, and having by far the most supporters, we get disrespected again with the Fat Ugly step-sister."

Okay, so let's not play the two biggest basketball games on Australian soil in the sporting and cultural capital of Australia. Let's not play them at Marvel Arena in front of 50'000 fans a pop, because Perth won some Championship. So let's go and play the game over in Buttfucknowhere way out west in Perth in front of 13,000 fans (that's if they turn up, seeing as Damien Martin won't be there), instead?

Yep, you're a moron.

Reply #742454 | Report this post

Years ago

I guarantee you, if Boomers vs. Canada were being played at the Adelaide Entertainment Center, it'd be mostly sold out by now.

Reply #742455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank you food for thought, exactly right, all points on the money.

Reply #742457 | Report this post

Years ago

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idiocy of what was said.

"And lets be honest, slag-off at Wildcats fans all you want, this exercise is a cynical attempt by BA to cash in on our Championship by flogging these games to the Red Army. "

Tell ya what, buddy, now the season is over, NO ONE cares about your championship. Basketball Australia certainly doesn't schedule its matches on the basis of who wins an NBL championship. No one is trying to "cash in" on your championship because there isn't anything to really gain, outside of maybe a few Bryce Cotton bobbleheads that may still be scattered in the foyers of Perth Arena. And for winning an NBL championship, you're not suddenly owed a pittance from the hoops gods. Your winning a championship doesn't suddenly mean you get Team USA playing at your backyard BBQ and it doesn't make Damien Martin the starting point guard over Ben Simmons or anything crazy like that.

If this is the way your average Perth fan thinks, they can feel free to just take independence from the rest of Australia and govern themselves.

Dear Perth Fans:

You're NOT being hard done by. Basketball Australia could have very easily taken these games to Adelaide or Sydney instead. Your Championship means nothing. We're all already moved on to next season. People don't actually care about it as much as you think. Get a life.

Sincerely,

Everyone else.

Reply #742463 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Top quality thread, this!
A+

Reply #742465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I bought my tickets because I've been wanting to see a boomers game (especially one of pur better teams) for years and know both teams will be good, but i can understand your average basketball fan who isn't into the NBL would only be keen if they know for sure a decent number of NBA players come.

As it gets closer and teams are actually announced sales will improve. The tickets are pretty expensive. The last time Canada was in Aus they had their very average comm games team, and the last few years boomers teams have been mostly NBL players. Your average fan might be worried that they oay but bucks and those kind of teams rock up (even though they won't). Lots of people won't want to fork out that kind of money without knowing both teams will feature some good NBA names. It's like buying tickets to a music festival with no lineup announcement, or buying a phone without knowing exactly what model you're getting.

It'll get pretty close to selling out in the coming months when squads are named and it gets more media hype (I've heard basically nothing about it apart from the 24hrs when it was announced). At the end of the day it doesn't really matter if it sells out in 5 min or 5 months.

Reply #742466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pay big bucks*

Reply #742467 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

How strong is support for basketball in Perth, as opposed to support for the Wildcats? Perth seems to be strong at supporting local sporting teams in national leagues generally. That need not translate into strong support for basketball itself.

That would make the 'NBA' cachet worth less to potential buyers. The $27 ticket to watch Fremantle the same day might be more attractive.

"Can't get up for NBA players yet Greg Hire is basically a town hero over there? Yep, Perthians are as 'tarded as I assumed. "

FFT - local heroes are real and you can have a two-way relationship with them. NBA players are remote and largely unknown to anyone who doesn't follow NBA. Such people would probably equate NBA with USA, not Canada (refer to ticket sales for USA games in Melbourne).

It's also worth remembering that the target audience for these games have probably just renewed or are contemplating renewing their Wildcats' membership. Shelling out another large amount for an opportunity to watch players you don't follow in a game that doesn't matter may not be high on their priority list.Maybe that'll change in a couple of months, when they've saved up for these games.

Tickets have only been on sale for a couple of weeks. There's 3+ months to the games. The WA economy might pick up by then and they'll sell out.

Reply #742471 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

"No, it's a poor man's opponent compared to what Melbourne get. Expensive scraps not being not sold out is hardly surprising."

12 NBA players. A team that is expected to be in the medal hunt. And Australia's best ever team. Yes, such scraps. poor Perth!

The scraps comment relates to Canada vs. Dream Team. They are scraps yet the price is still at a premium (and they've rorting now with the term "gold") is the issue. If I were to shell out the money I'd rather invest in a flight over to Melbourne to watch the real deal.

Reply #742474 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I love international sport but apart from being broke(playoff games really test the finances), the reason I haven't bought a ticket is I went to a Sino vs NBL Boomers game and it was by far the worst atmosphere I've ever experienced at Perth Arena, what's to say that even with NBA players that the atmosphere will be as good as a Wildcats game?

I think it might be a case of no Harlem Globetrotters coming to Perth so. Anne they thought of hosting these games here?

Reply #742533 | Report this post

Years ago

It wouldn't surprise me that there was no atmosphere at the Sino-Australia games. They were always boring and terrible. You tend to play down or up to the level of your competition, so the Boomers played a lot of ugly basketball against China. If Basketball Australia want to sell tickets they'd be wise not to stage games against China here. Having said that, though, if it were the A grade Boomers those series wouldn't have those problems and probably would have an atmosphere.

Reply #742537 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

FFT, you might get better responses, if you weren't such an ignorant jerk. Just saying.

I find it bizarre that they're playing the USA games at Docklands. Plonking a court in the middle of a football oval.
IMHO it would be better at Rod Laver, even if you can only accommodate a third the crowd.

But I guess it just proves the point, a lot of people want to see Australia take on the yanks. Canada, apparently not so much.

As has been explained, multiple times, they have balls's up the seat allocations. My seats are Silver, and are on the baseline, yet for these guys they are classified as "Platinum" and they want $250 a pop. (For seats that work out to about $40 normally).
Even given its the Boomers and once off, that's an extraordinary increase.

You make not like Cats fans, but who else are you expecting to buy these tickets?

I actually did think about going, until I saw the prices. On my budget I'd be restricted to what are Nickel seats, and I'm just too old for that.

Reply #742626 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:12 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754