Anonymous  
Years ago

trimble 500,000
long 500,000
is that what it costs

Reply #742484 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Great for Melbourne. Boone looked cooked.
Hoping Perth have a big name in mind for centre position.

Reply #742489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ Dunigan? Haha

Reply #742491 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

United have to play a lot of zone next season.

Reply #742492 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, if nothing else United are going to put a ton of points on the board.

Reply #742493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne got import spot still to fill, not certain 500g each covers cost of Long or Trimble.
Teams seem to be trying to log in players earlier than normal season.

Reply #742495 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Bloody hell Long & Melo makes they're whinging about not being able to re-sign Casper look even more pathetic than it already did.

Who are they going to sneak into their cheapy third import spot, Prather?

Reply #742497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$1/2mill each for those players is abhorrent and extremly unlikely.

Reply #742499 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

It's just a stupid anonymous guess.
Seriously doubt any of us know the actual amounts.

Reply #742500 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Great signing.

United looking good.

Reply #742502 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Wow

Reply #742504 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I have no idea of the figures but I highly doubt Trimble was able to ask for and get $500K. He played his first pro season in the G-League which would've paid around $30K and would've come to Cairns last season relatively cheap probably less than $100K.

I would be surprised if he was able to get more than $400K out of United, that was the money Randle was on at the Kings and he was an established star in the NBL then.

Long though has played in the NBA big men always command a lot more dollars everywhere especially the very good ones it wouldn't shock me if he signed in the $500K area after the season he just had with NZ. He and Bogut are the #1 and #1a big men in the league.

It will be really interesting to see how much they might be taking the piss with whoever they sign as their third import though.

Reply #742506 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Really no point speculating on exact dollars. We know they're getting extremely good coin, lets just leave it at that.

How versatile is Long? Can he play the 4 with Pledge at the 5?

Barlowe is well past his prime, and his drop-off as the season wore on was a big problem last year. They'll need to manage him better, which means somebody else playing quality minutes at PF.

Interesting to see so many imports moving teams. I was expecting a few more new faces.

I wonder if anyone has been sniffing around Terrico White?

Reply #742507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ive seen korean basketball pay imports up to 700,000 dollars and that's korea a second basketball country

Reply #742508 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Dazz, Long is a 5 man Pledger is a back up centre now.

Reply #742509 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

ive seen korean basketball pay imports up to 700,000 dollars and that's korea a second basketball country

Top line import big men used to command $1 million or more a year in Europe, David Andersen was on $1M+ at his peak in Russia. I'm not sure that kind of money is floating around as much over there now.

But ex-NBA top line big men like Andray Blatche are on $1-1.5 million a year in China but those gigs are scarce.

Long would've had to take a bit of a discount )compared to what he could get in Siberia) to play in a country like Australia though, great weather, economically good, safe, clean, english speaking, fine women etc

Reply #742511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some of you people are out touch with the money getting thrown around out there, Kennedy was on massive coin last season, 700k and complaining it wasn't enough. With the marquee rules your highest paid player and import get large dollars with buugger all going against the salary cap.
Europe has a longer season but the money on offer in the top leagues is huge, that’s why the money in Australia has gone up.

Reply #742512 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

I guess the question is who's the third import, and how much cash can Melbourne use to sign him? Apologies if this has already been discussed, but is Goulding on a marquee? And you can only have three max marquee slots? (Separate to import slots)

And yes, Long/Pledger can't play in the same front court - Long isn't the type you want taking multiple 3s a game.

Reply #742517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great weather - New Zealand, meh
Economicically good - Exchange rate to US is shit
Safe - Mass shooting in New Zealand
Clean - Hmmm, maybe
English speaking - Fush and Chups bro?
Fine Women - All the good sheep were taken already so maybe.

Reply #742518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As much as I wanted him to remain a breaker - he couldn't play defence to save himself. When I say defence i mean man to man defence. When I say man to man I mean actually guarding your man - rather than just randomly roaming to block shots.

That said. Sorry to see him go. An excitement machine. Both breakers centres now at Melborne.

Good luck Shawn and United.

Reply #742524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Am I the only one who is hoping both Trimble and Long get training camp deals?

Reply #742525 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

There was a thread earlier on that MU were re-signing Pledge and Barlowe, but I don't know if that became official.

Yes, Pledge is a backup, and he fit well with Boone, as both are aging and good for reduced minutes. With Long, you'd expect to see his time further reduced.
Which might be ok if they weren't so thin at PF.

NB: Clearly the idea of Marquees replacing imports has gone out the window. Bogut would have been the only player categorised as Marquee for Sydney.

Reply #742526 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

The third import signing (if Melbourne get one) might give us an idea how much they intend to spend to go one step further this season.

Reply #742527 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Big combo at United now, hate to admit it, but United are going to be fun to watch, whether they can click in their first year is another thing though.

Bit of a blow for my Cats if indeed they were in the Long sweeps, I guess United had more money since Ware didn't re-sign. I guess it means we can move on and flesh out the rest of our roster.

Reply #742540 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

There are plenty of directions United could go with their last import spot, depending which Aussies they sign first.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a 3 and D athletic wing, think Ron Dorsey or Torrey Craig. With Moller’s departure that is a glaring weakness in the current roster. United might end up with:

Long/Pledger/Smith Milner?
Barlow/Jois?
Torrey Craig style import/?
McCarron/Goulding
Trimble/Hooley?

Reply #742543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV

It's strange decision letting Moller go, he said he loved the club but his lack of game time probably swung his decision, especially in the GF when White was kicking arse as Moller watched on.
I’m not convinced that Goulding is going to accept coming off the bench either, I see Melbourne going for an import four, and McCarron starting in the three. They better not get any injuries to there front line or it could be a long season. Barlow could cover both the 3/4 spot. I can’t see Jois getting another shot, unless eleventh man, doesn’t have the team game required. Smith-Milner and Hooley are reasonable back ups.

Reply #742545 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Yep, that's another option.

Depends to a large extent on which other Aussies they can sign.

Jois putting up great numbers in NZ, so clearly he can ball. His team is struggling though.

Reply #742555 | Report this post

Tiger  
Years ago

The NBL really doesnt give a toss about Cairns & Illawarra.

Reply #742567 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Why can't we all just get a Long?

Reply #742569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watch Jois on weekend, Moller started on some ex nba player, played twenty games, and shut him down, the went to Jois and shut him down, neither these guys had much success on Moller but he could only take one at time, rest Huskies D very average, Jois not nbl standard.

Reply #742572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melo and long..

Not great defenders

Reply #742745 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:43 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754