Krazy
Years ago

36ers list

Other than not getting Trimble, what avenue is the organisation really trying to take? Did they even make a realistic attempt?

The Creek fiasco could haunt the 36ers for years. There seems to be no rumours about quality Australians making the move here.

The owner is not a poor man and what about access to the Asian businesses he's spruked?

Topic #45166 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harry Froling came here, he is in the draft and has full support from the 36ers. They have learnt a lesson from Creek, and it's clear that they are beginning to move forward.

Hopefully Joey gets what he needs, as no matter what people say, he is a great coach, particularly for the budget he spends etc. Players love him and young talent will go to him (wherever he coaches). I’m sure you’ll see a new young player signing in the next week or two.

It’s perfectly reasonable to be critical of some of the decisions made by the organisation, however, it is now that people need to support them......that is if you want a team in SA!

Reply #742649 | Report this post

Duncan  
Years ago

Well said Anon. The sobey loss hurt, but what hurt just as much was the inability to get Madgen.

If they had a roster of..

Starters; Gun import, Madgen, Drmic, Wiley, DJ

Bench: Moore, Teys, Doyle (or someone else), McVeigh, Froling, young developing big (dj, wiley, froling is a good 3 man rotation)

I think Joey could get this team to the playoffs. Not sure how but as well as the import they still need another quality local guard.

Reply #742653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Personally I'd like to see some locals play for us

Reply #742654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which locals are capable though?

The Premier League is not exactly packed with local talent, nor is it very high level. Most of the coaching is actually pretty poor locally so local kids will struggle to grasp it at the NBL level. Teams prefer to recruit substandard imports and hamper the development of the local kids.

Reply #742665 | Report this post

Does anon work at the club or something? How have they began to move forward? The club couldn't even stitch up Shaun Bruce for crying out loud.

Yes Joey is a great coach, yes he does great with his budget and developing young player but this club has to stop being a breeding ground for young players to spent their development years here then go ply their trade in the prime of their careers elsewhere

What use was Ferguson playing for us other then developing his career? Was it those 5 minutes per playoff game where he was a defensive liability the whole time?

Hodgson, Sobey & Deng will now go play the prime years of their career elsewhere

Reply #742666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nbl1 lewis thomas

Reply #742667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disagree about premier league talent, Seb Vozzo and Jordy Wilson to name 2!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #742668 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wasn't Ferguson more of an offensive liability than defensive? He went to an NBA play-off team in a starting role where he isn't always scoring. He must be defending or making the right rotations or he wouldn't be out there.

Reply #742669 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"Does anon work at the club or something? How have they began to move forward? The club couldn't even stitch up Shaun Bruce for crying out loud."

More like the club wouldn't want Shaun Bruce when they took the option on Doyle. I would have preferred Bruce but they made the decision and so there is no room for both of them.

"Yes Joey is a great coach, yes he does great with his budget and developing young player but this club has to stop being a breeding ground for young players to spent their development years here then go ply their trade in the prime of their careers elsewhere"

That's like saying "I want the Sixers to buy 3 houses in Springfield (One of Adelaide's most expensive suburbs)" when they only have the money to buy in a middle class area. They don't have the money to get the players in the prime of their careers so they do the best with what they have.

"What use was Ferguson playing for us other then developing his career? Was it those 5 minutes per playoff game where he was a defensive liability the whole time?"

So we could afford Creek, DJ, Sobey, Randle etc whilst providing entertainment and exposure to the club.

"Hodgson, Sobey & Deng will now go play the prime years of their career elsewhere"

Hodgson is a defensive liability on the pick and roll. Froling is better.

Sobey decided he didn't want to be here

Deng was a massive defensive liability so he only played 10 minutes a game. I hope he goes well in Cairns but we couldn't offer him the same opportunity here. McVeigh is a more complete player so it isn't a big loss.

All other teams also lose quality players

Reply #742671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hooley is a local. Good back up material.

Reply #742675 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Brandon Brine is surely worth a look for local, homegrown talent who was previously a development player, then 4 years college and a pro gig in Spain. Got the physical, athletic tools to play at the pro level. Having a great season with the Flames thus far....

Reply #742676 | Report this post

maxymoo  
Years ago

If Frolling ends up charting his NBA journey via Europe, big trouble ahead.

Reply #742677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would think Froling would be looking at the big picture, spend another year here developing rather than take the cash. Nbl getting a bit of exposure with Bogut so if he gets drafted then you would imagine NBA team would like to stash him here.

Reply #742678 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I didn't know the Sixers picked up their option on Doyle I was sure I saw his name on the free agents list...that's exciting.

Reply #742681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doyle is on the free agents list.

Reply #742688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't work for the club, I just think that not attending games etc will lead to not having a team at all. You either support or you don’t, up to you, but supporting Froling in this process is a start.
The team will still get a good guard import and a couple of surprise additions I’m sure.

Reply #742689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats the worse case scenario for the 36ers at this point

Johnson/?Majok Majok or Bairstow or young guy (ideally Bairstow)
Wiley/?Ellis or Walker or a young guy (ideally someone like Sam Froling)
Drmic/McVeigh
Moore/Teys
star IMPORT/Doyle

Seems to be of similar level to last year to me, if we get the star import PG right and guys like Moore can stay healthy and play a full season, I wasnt a massive fan of the Sobey at PG thing myself.

Obviously would prefer Bairstow instead of Majok or Ellis if we can get him

Would probably rather sign the best college returnees which Joey has a good track record of instead of them too

Not a championship team, but also probably wont be the worst team either, probably middle of the pack 5th/6th range like last year.

Reply #742693 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

According to many on the forum Wright is a great coach, he should be able to recruit stars and win the championship.

Reply #742699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't the point to put together a championship contending team? Not a 5th to 6th team....

Reply #742700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course the function is to win the title and put together the best team possible,

That was my best guess of where we would finish if we complete the roster somewhat how i predicted, which i think is fairly realistic.

Its basically a function of money, its tough to compete with teams like Melbourne, Sydney, Perth types who are spending around 3 Mil on the roster when Adelaide would be spending atleast a million dollars less.

Not perfect for the 36ers, but it is what it is, and this is not Joeys fault or a reflection of him either.

Joey has done a great job punching above his weight in getting the team to playoffs, grand finals, etc and recruiting some great imports and young talents over his time at the club, despite having spent far less then the Melbourne, Perth, Sydneys of the world.

Reply #742702 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

It's early days yet....Joey will probably still put a competitive team on the floor but whether its contending for a Championship we can only be hopeful.

Reply #742704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes and Illawarra, Cairns spending half million less than NZ, Adelaide.

Probably Melbourne three million plus Sydney and Perth high two millions, Brisbane low two millions the NZ , Adelaide followed by Illawarra, Cairns.

Reply #742707 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

$3m plus?

Don't you love these wild guesses as facts?

Reply #742710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those who know nothing but post it as if it was true.

Reply #742711 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Where the fuck do people get their wild salary guesses from ROFL.

Reply #742712 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

It has been reported that Bogut is on $1M + 10% stake in the Kings after his 2 year deal.

Melb couldn't/wouldn't match the offer for Ware...

Add Newley, Lisch, Kickert...and I think it is suffice to say that the Kings when it is all said and done would be well over the $2M mark.

Reply #742713 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Has it been reported though, outside of these forums? I've seen wildly different $$$ amounts bandied about for Bogut. The 10% stake is the one consistent thing I've seen.

Reply #742716 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Doyle has re-signed? I can barely control my erection!

Reply #742719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut said it in a press conference, he was up front about it. Melbourne paid Kennedy 750k last season, you don't have to believe it but people who know it’s a power race. Kay didn’t go to Perth for peanuts either, talk to player agents they will tell you.

Reply #742722 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Potentially add 1 or 2 college players Daniel Dillon, Bairstow and a Gun PG import and the team looks more balanced than last year.
If we had a real PG from the start last year we finish in the top 4.

Reply #742760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On NBL Overtime last night there was suggestion that the 6ers were in talks with Daniel Dillon. Played at United. Any insights on him/this?

Reply #742837 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Did Dillon ever actually play for United?

Reply #742839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dillon got hurt, never played a game, got replaced by Hooley. Worth suggesting that they should go after Hooley as he suits there playing style.

Reply #742840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hooley before Dillon definitely. He's an SA guy as well.

Reply #742842 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Can whoever signs him put a clause in the contract that he has to shave off or groom way shorter that shitty facial hair. Whatever look he is going for with it isn't working.

Reply #742872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure you aren't his target audience perthworld

Reply #742876 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Boti seems to think that it's highly unlikely Froling will return to the point of almost excluding him from the total number of players. Also mentioned Wiley could be in doubt to return as he was actually released from his contract to take up offer in Europe. I'm guessing that's for reasons surrounding rules but did say there could be doubts surrounding his return given the instability of the team at the moment.

Also recommended that Adelaide go for Jawai and Bairstow together to make up for front court departures including Froling.

Interviewed on the NBL pocket podcast.

Reply #742913 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Wiley not returning is actually fantastic news.

He is OK but not hard to find better.

Reply #742914 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

Jawai and Bairstow? Really? Wouldn't be a running team, then.

Reply #742919 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Lovebroker, no that isn't what was said. Boti did not say he wasn't returning, only that there could be some doubt due to the fact he was released and the instability. I'm not sure if this was just a feeling he had or if it's official word. I'll stress that because Both never said he wasn't returning and I'm not starting a rumour I have no idea about.

Reply #742920 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Dog's breakfast

Reply #742927 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Really starting to be concerned. Understand needing to wait for summer league to kick free some talent but needing some aussie talent.

Reply #742937 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

36ers are really hampered by the unknown of Froling and it is affecting their ability to recruit.

As a result, I think they need to get after Bairstow at the very least - he and Johnson can interchange between PF/C if required should Froling return.

They obviously need an import PG that can run the team, distribute and score and this will be filled after Summer League.

Reply #742943 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Don't worry guys, they're signing Kevin White.

Reply #743169 | Report this post

Wurstposter  
Years ago

How serious is drimic injury

Reply #743171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

would you guys be happy to get Daniel dillion

Reply #743172 | Report this post

Jughead Jones  
Years ago

Daniel Joyce available?

Reply #743175 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Daniel only comes as a package deal with Brendan. Both or none.

Reply #743177 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

After Bairstow there is a huge drop off in talent of remaining local FA's.

If we missed out on Bairstow then our front line is looking just above average.

Reply #743181 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I haven't heard anything about Adelaide going for bairstow

Reply #743204 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

With this management I expect them to sign Randle as the big offseason signing, hype over substance and finance over basketball decisions and all to sell tickets and attract the non basketball people they seem to be craving.

Reply #743206 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:03 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754