Anonymous
Years ago

SEM sign Kendall Stephens

http://www.semphoenix.com.au/news/article/son-of-a-gun-signs-for-phoenix

Topic #45172 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

Looks like someone who will be in the rotation. Clearly can shoot the rock

Although he only played 6 games in Spain and minimal court time, actually getting picked up as an import in Spanish Div 1 is an impressive feat

Reply #742780 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Stephens is the latest signing for the Phoenix and joins a growing roster including Mitch Creek, Tai Wesley, Kyle Adnam, Adam Gibson, Dane Pineau and Ben Madgen.]

What happened to that other young athletic guy who had been playing in college, whowe name escapes me right now?

Reply #742781 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Chima Moneke....

Reply #742782 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Dan Trist also signed LV.

Reply #742785 | Report this post

Food for thought (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

If they saw Chima Moneke at the 3 on 3 they've probably ripped the contract up.

Reply #742786 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Moneke has been plating D2 in France. Trist playing D2 in Spain. Similar, maybe slightly above, NBL1 standard.

Reply #742791 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Oh yeah- Trist to

So they basically need an import 5 and an import 1 to round out the roster

Import*/Trist
Wesley*/Pineau
Creek/Stephens/Moneke
Madgen/Gibson
Import*/Adnam

Good line up, IF they get two good imports and Creek plays.

Creek is crucial- their back up bigs aren't super impressive, and Creek can play some 4

Reply #742792 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Creek won't be playing for SEM he's said Minnesota are so keen on re-signing him they've asked him to go back over super early in May to start working with their guys.

Reply #742794 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yeah - Creek will not suit up for Phoenix if things pan out.

Reply #742795 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

Oh boy, I am so old. I remember Everette well. Particularly a baseline dunk he did in Sydney over a few of their big boys. Hope his son is half as good!

Reply #742797 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The one where Everette kind of kicked off of the guy after the dunk?

Reply #742798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stephens is a point guard as is Adnam. Bring in an import 1 and somebody out of those 2 aren't playing. I'm going against the grain here and saying this SEM lineup is very underwhelming. Creek is critical and looks unlikely. Without him this team is bottom.

Reply #742799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes I'm not convinced SEM is looking that good, div two France no way close to nbl.

Reply #742801 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Isn't Stephens a wing player.
Gibson and Adnam are the point guards.
I think the roster is looking on at this point but can't see the big three teams being challenged just yet.
They need a point import of Ware quality to be competitive.

Reply #742805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would think Trist plays 4 and Boone and Andersen are the centres

Reply #742809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not overly wowed by the lineup either. Obviously their imports will be crucial, as will what happens with Creek.

Reply #742810 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Good discussion on Creek's situation on the latest ep of Aussie Hoopla, after listening to that I'm convinced we'll never see him at SEM.

Reply #742811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is there anymore Aussie born Americans in college or Europe that can play in the NBL as a local

Reply #742826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The old Mick Corkeron and Kym Taylor experiment again

Reply #742831 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"Oh boy, I am so old." Yes you are :)

Reply #742836 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

Is Stephens essentially Creek insurance? I'm very skeptical of their big man rotation - Trist/Pineau are both cast-offs. Even if they go after Boone.

That 3p% is intriguing. Santamaria with the steal.

Don't know which Aussie they can target to fill Creek's spot - particularly in minutes and to cover the 3/4.

Reply #742851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@PyroCross Somebody like Brock Motum comes to mind

Reply #742855 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Good to see a mix of expedience and youth.
Stephens might not be a star, yet, but he would appear to be no slouch either.

It always tough assembling a good local contingent, especially so being a new team and rookie coach starting from scratch.
By and large I think they have done ok, but Creek and Wesley are the lynch-pins.

I honestly don't know what to make of the Creek signing. Maybe he's just doing his mate a solid, as a phantom signing to generate interest, and they already have plan B in the pipeline. Or perhaps at the time he genuinely thought he wouldn't get picked up in the NBA. Either way, if he's unlikely to return they need to have that plan B.

Madgen should still be a starter, and if they get Creek, and can get Wesley naturalised, then add 3 imports and they have a solid 6 man rotation. But if they are depending on Madgen, Wesley, and two imports, then they will be in trouble.

Reply #742858 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Moneke has been plating D2 in France. Trist playing D2 in Spain. Similar, maybe slightly above, NBL1 standard."

Haven't followed it for while, but unless it's dropped away D2 in Spain is a good competition, definitely better than NBL1, I reckon it would be similar or even a little better than NZ NBL.

Reply #742882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't be surprised to see SEM go with import at the 5 and 3 as starters then a 2 backing Madgen and the starter at the 3 as well

Reply #743496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Born in Aus 6'7 g/f.

Reply #743498 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

They already have Wesley, who for now remains an import.

Nobody could possibly believe that Adnam or Gibson is good enough to start, so they are going to need a PG.

Reply #743499 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Would definitely flip Pineau and Trist as no way Dane is mobile enough to go against 4s in NBL and Trist showed he wasn't up to playing the 5 at United already... Interesting that they went with BOTH of those players, as I would have guessed even with an import 5, they'd have wanted a much more quality back up 4/5...

They'll need a really good Plan B if Creek doesn't come back... I don't really follow NBA, what do we think the cut off date would be for Creek to sign with an NBA team and notify SEM? With Summer League not finishing until late July, that's close to pushing it to sign someone of equal talent (I know, still a couple of months from NBL tip off, but we've seen how bad starts can impact a teams season by the end, especially when it's so close).

Reply #743721 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:16 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754