Anonymous
Years ago

What's going on in Perth?

Just like Adelaide players are leaving with no word at all on replacements.
Will the playoffs streak end or will the mighty shoes of Hire, Jervis etc be filled.

Any ideas....

Topic #45177 | Report this topic

Senator11  
Years ago

Personally thin that they were gunning for Long, now that he's off the table they will start looking for a quality import C to fill the vacancy, but this might not happen to summer league unless they have someone in mind. Feel like we'll sign a back up C soon though, I wouldn't mind seeing Jawai back at the Cats as our back up C.

Reply #742865 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Not much, the weather has turned. Oh and there's the uninterrupted weekend afternoons for home opens now that it's the off season.

Reply #742869 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I'd be interested in knowing whats going on in Perth too, as I'll be there for the next 10 days..

Reply #742878 | Report this post

Food for thought (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

They have the core of a Championship winning team sitting there and two import spots up their sleeve to fill whenever they feel like it. That's what's going on in Perht.

Reply #742880 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

We are lucky to have two import spots still available but I would also be happy getting Bairstow and going with two imports again.
I'm more interested in who will fill the bench spots.

Reply #742884 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

I would like Bairstow and Jawai to sign in Perth and look to a import SF again (whether that be White or someone else). No rush on signing an import but getting an Aussie big is a priority.

Reply #742890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doubt Bairstow comes off the bench behind an import C and Kay. And I don't know that Kay + Bair starting at the 4/5 is good enough to deal with the likes of Long and Bogut

Reply #742894 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Brandt and Kay did it, I think Bairstow and Kay can. Of course, they need a replacement for Jervis off the pine, and that's possibly where an import comes into it?

Reply #742895 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Hopefully they find an Aussie reserve (Jawai would be good but unlikely) as it would be a waste of an import spot that could potentially end up a Cooke Jr 2.0.

Reply #742899 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Perth might need to spend more on a 3rd import if they can't land Bairstow or quality Aussies.

But, they'll be fine. It's Gleeson and the Cats.

Reply #742900 | Report this post

maxymoo  
Years ago

Martin, Wagstaff, Cotton, Vague, Norton, Kay & Steindel ...with 2 imports to go, only going to take a serviceable Aussie centre to make this a really big danger to the comp.

Reply #742901 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Does Bairstow play like Matt Knight?

Good screener, can hit mid range, decent rebounder, often injured?

Reply #742902 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

As mentioned earlier, early departure announcements generally mean the reciprocal announcement is pending.
So Jervis has landed at Cairns. We can assume this is for personal reasons, but who really knows.
Haven't heard anything further on Brandt signing in Europe, and its hard to know how mutual this decision may have been.

Certainly those departures added fuel to the Long rumour, but I always found it strange. Gleeson I think prefers to find his own talent, when it comes to imports anyway. Besides which his defensive game isn't really up to Cats standard.

I was impressed with what I saw of Bairstow this season. But in checking the stats his minutes were moderate. Don't know if that is because he was being managed carefully whilst regaining match fitness, or if there may still be underlying question marks over his health?

I am really interested to see what direction the Cats go with their Hire replacement. They have progressively moved their starting SF to an outside "wing" player, but so far have kept a relatively tall bench.

I've heard a rumour that we are looking at a local veteran as backup centre. I wouldn't mind Jawai, but I doubt he would return just to play backup. Perhaps Nevill is tired of Taiwan?

You'd have to assume they're going for a import starting centre. My tip would be a Jameel McKay type.

Reply #742903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would love if Nevill return, a legit 7 footer

Reply #742904 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

@Cram why? Work?

Reply #742928 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

No way on Neville!

For his size he is a terrible rebounder and defender

Reply #742930 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"@Cram why? Work?"

Just a holiday

Reply #742931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lachy Reid suggest on twitter that Wildcats are going with 1 import, has anyone got more news on that. One mean just Cotton all not counting Cotton because you still need 3 5 and i cant see Jawai starting

Reply #742962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I actually heard that Cotton is gaining citizenship which means the Wildcats are going with zero imports!

Reply #742963 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Lachy Reid suggest on twitter that Wildcats are going with 1 import, has anyone got more news on that. One mean just Cotton all not counting Cotton because you still need 3 5 and i cant see Jawai starting
It was a joke.

Reply #742964 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I would love if Nevill return, a legit 7 footer
Yes, I think this is a great idea for Perth. If you are not a Perth fan.

Reply #742973 | Report this post

Barry Ballbag  
Years ago

If they get Nevill they should save money and go with no imports because they won't win anything.

Reply #742974 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I hope the Nevill suggestion was just a trolling attempt.
Waste of a roster spot.

Reply #742975 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

LoL at the Jameel McKay suggestion too.
Perth want to defend a title not be mediocre.

Reply #742976 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Right, a team with McKay would never win an NBL title.

Reply #742978 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

In the past Mr know it all but with Long and Bogut the standards have risen.

Reply #742981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth will be fine

They will have something like

Import/??Jawai
Kay/Wagstaff
Import/Steindl
Cotton/??
Martin/Norton

Get decent imports in the SF (?Prather) and C (?McKay) spot and away you go

Sure Bogut is now in the NBL

Long will likely make finals next year in Melbourne, but hardly dominated and took NZ anywhere

So a combination of McKay and Jawai with combined with the rest of Perths line up would be perfectly fine and as good as Brandt and Jervis anyway.

Reply #742983 | Report this post

Barry Ballbag  
Years ago

Surely Bairstow would be a good option for Perth. I think he would fit into their style of play and could be as effective as Brandt. Great experience with the Bulls when they were an ok team.

Reply #742985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea Agreed, Bairstow would be a great pick up

Reply #742986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bairstaw bench or starter

Reply #742987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not as good as Dunigan but would not use an import spot either

Reply #742988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wasn't Perth after Christian Woods

Reply #742990 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

As I said, I heard a RUMOUR they were going with a Veteran backup centre.
(Which is not a totally terrible idea, as backup.)
Now who that rumoured veteran might be I don't know. My mention of Neville was flippant.

As for the starting role, I suggested a Jameel McKay TYPE.
ie somebody fast and athletic, who can take the pass on a fast break, and also get back and intimidate the shot on D.

I would assume the Lachy Reid tweet was just having a dig at Hutchy. As in we beat you this season with only two imports, next season we'll do it with only one.

The only alternative is that they have their eye on on some ex Europe or NBA types???
Or maybe Cotton will marry his girl and become naturalised.

Reply #742991 | Report this post

maxymoo  
Years ago

The rumour mill is that Brandt is coming back because we didn't get Long.

Not sure I agree with this, just looking for Jawai or CB to be signed.

Reply #743010 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

@Cram Ah I see, it's a pilgrimage to the city of the first Tigers NBL championship.

Reply #743028 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

city = site*

Reply #743029 | Report this post

Me  
Years ago

Brandt is going to Europe (just left NZ and his mates are wishing him well in Europe....check his Twitter).

Bairstow also likely to be headed to Europe.

Perth scouts didn't find the players they were after on very recent trip to the states and will return to US soil for Summer League, the intention will be to sign an import 5 and find an import 3 (in case Terrico doesn’t return).

Jawai has his salary underpinned by the Queensland government. He is still a wanted commodity in Cairns so they should be favourites to land him.

Reply #743046 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Are you just guessing there champ? Or do you have Intel.

Reply #743057 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Casey Prather will be joining the Wildcats.

Isaiah Hartenstein will be joining to.

Wildcats in talk to both.

Reply #743133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cool

Reply #743134 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

You also said Perth were signing Shawn Long so I will believe it when I see it.

Reply #743135 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

When Long demanded $800k a season the Wildcats let it go. Wildcats were only prepared to offer Long the same salary as Cotton which is very generous because the value Cotton brings to a team is much more than anyone else in the league.

Reply #743143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaiah, why would he play in Australia when he's got a euro passport and could in a lot more playing in Europe.

Reply #743146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Casey Prather a joke signing or real

Reply #743162 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Nic Pozoglou a chance at backup bench spot.

Reply #743217 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:22 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754