Zodiac
Years ago

United CEO Vince Crivelli denies Shawn Long signing

Melbourne CEO Crivelli spoke on SEN radio this morning, breaking the club's silence on the issue, where he clarified they aren’t over the line with Long.

"It’s been an interesting week," Crivelli said.

“First time in my whole career I’ve had a player come out and publicly commit to a club before we had even made him an offer and signed a contract.

“We certainly have been in conversation with him and his agent, as you do at this time of year. We are pretty keen on him, we would love to have Shawn here next season.

“There are always conflicts when you’re dealing with agents and third parties in a global sport. We are not quite over the line yet.

“I was disappointed it came out that way because it was a little unfair to guys like Josh Boone who have been with the club for a couple seasons and done really well. Traditionally when you do make a move you communicate but we hadn’t made a move.

“Unfortunately, it got out that Shawn was committing to us before we had a chance to really deal with any of the issues.

“Notwithstanding, we are excited, he is another incredible player. He averaged 18 points per game last year, 10 rebounds, has spent some time in the NBA with the Philadelphia 76ers.

“He is a power athlete. Anything around the rim he is going to dunk but he also has a lot of finesse and capability all the way out to the three-point line.

“We are excited about being able to bring in a young, energetic centre that has a different skillset to what we have maybe had in the past.”

In regards to Long’s Tweet, Crivelli doesn’t believe there was any menace behind it, saying it was the player displaying his excitement at being able to join United.

“I actually think Shawn was just incredibly excited,” Crivelli said.

“I think he was getting a little bit of attention on social media in the build up with a lot of people asking him directly, which is one of the challenges these days with the direct communication channels through all these platforms.

“He was getting hit up a fair bit and I think he had just had enough. He was pretty excited about the conversations that had been happening. For him it was like, I may as well just put this to bed now and get on with where I’m at.

“Maybe there was a little bit of game-playing in it but I’m going to take the approach that he is excited to join the club.

“If we can get a deal done, I think our fans will love the emotion and energy he brings. You’ve only got to look at his highlights from last season and you’ll understand the level of emotion he plays with.

“We are going to have fun with it if we can bring him in.”

http://www.nbl.com.au/news/article/united-ceo-crivelli-provides-shawn-long-update

Topic #45179 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do clubs bother with these statements.

They didnt announce it or break any rules by Shawn saying it on twitter, so no need to cover it up really.

Oh and what a shock it will be when they announce it formally in the coming weeks. This happens a number of times each off season.

If rules prevent them from announcing it at the moment, why not just say nothing and let Shawn say what ever he does.

Reply #743000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another strong leadership move by Crivelli after last week attacking Australia's favourite son Bogut

Reply #743002 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

If I was Vince and Long made the commitment to the club before any offer was made, I would offer him $300k where I was going to offer $500k,

Reply #743006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL, then he rejects it and says United back flipped on him and reducing his offer, which makes United look even stupider.

Also a terrible way to build a team by screwing players around,

Reply #743008 | Report this post

maxymoo  
Years ago

Trying to get some leverage back at the negotiating table perhaps.

Reply #743011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if they'll take legal action against Long

Reply #743015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Legal action? They're not the 36ers!

Reply #743016 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Just seems like weird behaviour all-round.

Clearly they feel they have done the dirty on Boone, but that just means they should have been more upfront with him.

Strange to come out and make such a statement.

Reply #743017 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Australia's favourite son Bogut"

ROFL

Bogut is a dickhead who should learn to keep his mouth shut.

Reply #743018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shame you don't Dazz.

Reply #743021 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Hmmmmmm.

No issue with Crivelli. Long shouldn't have jumped the gun.

Fair point re Boone

Reply #743022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vince will be spewing it and looking to put his spin on it.

Reply #743024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Onya Dazz, you're a dickhead who should learn to keep his mouth shut

Reply #743025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz must be a massive mansplainer in real life assuming he loves the sound of his own voice as much as he loves the look of his own tedious written ramblings.
This Long stuff is a good bit of offseason drama. Boone has been a good honest productive import since he came down here so if United have been stringing him along while courting Long then I'll happily see them get burned for it.

Reply #743026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty dumb by Long whatever way you look at it. Wait till after the contracts signed before shooting your load. Always have Perth as backup plan if Melbourne gets spooked.
As for Boone it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to know they were looking elsewhere, he's a pro that's been around.
And these legal experts on this forum are always good to hear, what legal action can they take? It's not America where you can sue for anything. Shit, Vozzo can come out and tweet he's signing with Sixers, so what.

Reply #743030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I wonder if they'll take legal action against Long"

"Legal action? They're not the 36ers!"

"And these legal experts on this forum are always good to hear, what legal action can they take? It's not America where you can sue for anything. Shit, Vozzo can come out and tweet he's signing with Sixers, so what."

Lol it was sarcasm based on Crevelli wanting to take legal action against Bogut for saying things about Wares contract that he said weren't true

Full thread:

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/45134-crevelli-threatens-legal-action-vs-bogut/

Reply #743035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, easy big fella, take a chill pill!

Reply #743036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vince Crevelli. Surely his days are numbers.

I played with a United DP and the way he was treated at times was horrible.
He also said a lot of the players didnt trust a word VC said until it was in writing and conpletely signed off.

Reply #743043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

VC will be VC - Lucky LK gave a lifeline a few years back with an unlimited budget and hand gifted inclusion to all things NBL, otherwise VC would be looking for his next victim to slither and hiss at. Vince is certainly well known for his Fork tongue in the industry and players are well aware of his not so trustworthy promises.
I can't believe it's lasted so long.

Reply #743259 | Report this post

Troy Georgiu  
Years ago

*chortle*

Reply #743277 | Report this post

Rabbit70  
Years ago

Seems Perth is countering the offer by Melbourne. Hence no contract signed.

Reply #743297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smith-Milner resigns with Melbourne.

Reply #743305 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Well the Long saga is certainly keeping FA interest churning...

Fascinating to ponder what is really going on?
Are Perth actually in the mix?
Is it just a matter of crossing the t's with Melbourne, or are they seriously short of agreement?
Was the tweet just a bit of flippant exuberance from Long, or was he trying to put pressure on Melbourne to get their shit together?

Reply #743420 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

As for Bogut, haha, chill out.
I just luv it when his fanboys trot out stuff like "Austraia's Favourite Son." I don't think anybody is suing anyone.
Bogut has managed to survive the litigation loving USA, so I don't think a few comments or tweets are going to fuel legal action down under.

Reply #743421 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I also don't understand the gripes against Crivelli?

I assume he was involved in recruiting Vickerman and finally delivering a championship. Had a very competative team this season, and probably just a bit old and tired towards the end.

As I said at the time of his original comment, "biggest ever offer" could have several different meanings. But there's no doubt they would have made Ware a very good offer to stay

Reply #743423 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

"biggest ever offer" could have several different meanings? Like, biggest ever offer of that day? That evening? On days beginning with "M"?

Reply #743443 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Biggest in terms of total money, biggest in terms of money per season...

Offering $100k a year for 10 years is a bigger offer in terms of total money than $600k a year for one season, for example.

Reply #743449 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

and whichever way you look at it, why wouldn't it be big?
Salaries are obviously at their highest point ever, he is their best player, and close to being the best in the league.

It's not hard to imagine his offer would have been the "biggest" Melbourne had ever made.

Reply #743462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes back to the days of the big get bigger and the smaller clubs go under.

Reply #743483 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Yes back to the days of the big get bigger and the smaller clubs go under.

Ummm...Cairns make a profit.

Reply #743491 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:21 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754