Jack
Years ago

Will Mitch Creek help Horsham back into Big V

Read a great article about how Horsham's Big V team helped him when he was younger.

Shame this basketball factory that has produced so many great players no longer has a senior team in that league.

Can Mitch help get it back up and about?

Topic #45189 | Report this topic

AJK34  
Years ago

Reply #743265 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

Talk of Horsham once a year on these forums.

They were a great product for the league the reality of cost, and maybe the potential or fear of being non-competitive drives these country teams away.

Be great to see Warragul, Horsham back in the comp, I caught some Echuca games in this year CBL and wondered about a league with them in it as well, they had great local support.

As much as Metro adminstrators hate the cost, organisation of travelling and fixturing as a player and now coach these were always the part I liked about our league and sport compared to others. A true State League

Reply #743299 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I remember the old days of the CVIBL and VBL.

Country teams and trips were awesome and something everyone looked forward to.

Echuca had great support back then.

The teams from Gippsland (including Sale), Mildura, Wangaratta, Shepparton, Warrnambool were great for the league. Albury and Wodonga also.

Reply #743302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Be great to get Horsham, Echuca, Swan Hill etc back in the league and make it a true state league.

People talk but no action ever really comes from it.

Reply #743307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warragul won't be back. The people involved back in the day have all moved on and recently all of their talented players have gone to Latrobe which is approx 40 mins away in Traralgon. In fact Latrobe women has half team from Warragul including coach.

Reply #743343 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

I didn't know that about Warragul - I just remember the mens team being a tough road trip, a set of brothers from what I can recall names have left me for some reason.

Reply #743373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warragul and horsham were always tough quality teams with a great home crowd. I miss travelling to those places to take them on. It's hard to find a reason from the outside why they pulled out. You hear about money but country teams usually are better off than most metro clubs financially.

Reply #743376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has the Big V ever bothered to look into it and see what they can do to help them?

Reply #743382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Small towns like Horsham and Warragul would have a smaller group of volunteers to do the admin and off court stuff (including sponsorship). If a couple of these key people are no longer interested, they are harder to replace and hence things start falling apart. That strong Warragul side was an example. The Santo brothers are the 2 you would remember Personal Foul. Their supporters and Horsham's were passionate and they had a good rivalry.

Reply #743387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big V don't seem to want to help the country clubs.

Reply #744129 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:59 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754