Anon
Years ago

Unsportsmanlike foul

If a defender is penalised a unsportsmanlike foul and the defensive team is on five fouls how many shots does the offensive team have. Thanks in advance

Topic #45245 | Report this topic

robt  
Years ago

Just the 2 and posession unless the foul was on a 3 pt shot attempt but no double up cos of 5 team fls in the q.

Reply #744390 | Report this post

!  
Years ago

if the unsportmans foul is off the ball - yes a team could have up to 5 free throws - i.e. 3 point shooter is fouled and another player fouls in an unsportmanlike 3+2

Reply #744413 | Report this post

!  
Years ago

would have to be simulatneous

Reply #744414 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Just 2-3 weeks ago saw one that blew me. Similar to that last example. 76ers' game v ?. Imbib shoots a 3 from the corner and (think) Innis gets fouled under the ring. 3 point counted AND INNIS WENT TO THE LINE FOR AN "AND-ONE". Commentators called it and that's what happened. Now, I am no officiando but thought that that was a 'funny' call. But so does everyone else I've asked.

Reply #744417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Embiid has started his act of shooting when the foul on Ennis occurred its not an uncommon situation . If the basket goes in it counts and if the defensive team are in the bonus it 2 shots to Ennis.

The answer to the OP is no. An unsportsmanlike foul has its own defined penalty. If the defensive team are in the bonus it is irrelevant.

Reply #744419 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

How about if the buzzer to end the game occurred just as the unsportsmanlike foul happened. What is the scenario there.

Reply #744453 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

robt that isn't rare. A memborable NBL example is in the 2003 Grand Final Series Game 2 when Heal for the Kings scored a three vs. Wildcats and some other King got fouled under the basket for foul shots. OP is asking something different which is way more technical.

Reply #744459 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sorry my original post and reply 453 should have been together. This scenario happened in a game last nite. I thought we should have also had 2 free throws as the game ended with us taking only 2 free throws from the unsportsmanlike foul. We then had no other advantage as the game ended. Hoping some one might clarify as I looked up Fiba rules to no avail. Thanks again.

Reply #744463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nor should you

Reply #744472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't get to do le up. If the foul itself results in foul shots you don't get the bonus penalty for the team being over 5.
Just as if the foul occurs during a shot you don't get 4 shots when a team is over the 5 team foul limit.

Reply #744474 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Thanks for the respones.

Reply #744481 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:26 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754