https://twitter.com/OlgunUluc/status/1130703589326741504

Reply #744751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hawks 4 place

Reply #744752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

do you think its about the money all something else? because Perth and SEM were after him to

Reply #744753 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

How would they handle the minutes between AJ and Boone?

20 each?

Both are at the tail end of their careers but still capable of starting minutes.

Reply #744754 | Report this post

Food for thought  
Years ago

They're going to have Boone, AJ and Anderson. That's a pretty good frontline. You'd expect Perth must be picking up Cam Bairstow now looking at the spots left.

Reply #744755 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

#weflyasone

Reply #744758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

surprise the hawks owner didn't play games on his twitter. signing Bonne

Reply #744759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Illawarra at least looking competitive, though I'm not convinced ando is not an injury away from retirement. All sides starting to look ok other than Cairns.

Reply #744760 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Boone - Ogilvy
Import - Froling
Blanch - Coneradd
Import - Grida/Dech
Naar - Glover

If they add an athletic 4 man who's a tad too small for the position in Europe, and an experienced combo guard who can play on and off the ball, they actually look decent. Problem is after paying Boone they may only be able to afford a Jerry Evans/Jordair Jett type combo in those spots, which changes everything. And if Anderson does actually return to fill the other big spot, you'd hope the combo guard import is top notch.

Reply #744762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Naar up to starter minutes, not certain he can contain the elite guards in the comp.

Reply #744765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Naar up to starter minutes, not certain he can contain the elite guards in the comp.

Reply #744766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IF the coach is any good, i'd expect Grida and Naar to be very very good this comming season.

Reply #744770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love the nbl trash talk podcast today said Boone signed with SEM

Reply #744771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guessing the current roster projection pushes out Marshall Nelson? He's putting up big numbers in the WA SBL at the moment.

Reply #744772 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

After summer league Wildcats will be signing Shawn Long. Shawn told the Wildcats he wants to try out in the summer league but if that NBA dream falls through the clouds he'll sign with the Wildcats on a 2 year deal with an NBA out clause.

Reply #744773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a Hawks fan I love this signing. He has plenty left to give in his career and will have a chip on his shoulder after the Melbourne United shafting. Frohling will benefit from his presence and AJ may do better in a reduced role.

I also love Anderson. The guy is all class no matter his age. Sign a dynamite import guard and the Hawkies are looking very respectable,

Reply #744774 | Report this post

Rowdy  
Years ago

You've got no idea Melbourne Boy

Reply #744776 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Boone's been a very good player in the NBL

I'm a little surprised at the signing, but I guess he likes Australia and the league. You'd have to assume, being the Hawks, that this isn't a big budget deal, in which case its a great signing.

Pairing him and AJ seems a bit of overkill, but only a bit. Hopefully this combo can carry them for a couple of years.

Reply #744780 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Let's face it he's signed with the Hawks because none of the bigger teams want him at whatever he thinks he's still worth. The fact is last season showed he is cooked and that's why the battling Hawks have him. Good luck to Boone and Hawks all the same.

Reply #744784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would he have been a good signing with Sixers instead of Wiley and money saved spent on superstar guard. Could play DJ at 4 and toughen up Froling a bit.

Reply #744790 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

What in particular do you disagree with Rowdy? My expected Hawks rotation or my budget import comments?

Reply #744792 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Sam Froling should benefit from playing with Boone, Andersen and Oglivy.
A sizeable quartet it reminds me of Melbourne Tigers having Nevill, Heliwell, Tragardh and Burston.

Reply #744797 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

At this point AJ is a reserve 5, so I don't think it's overkill at all. Hopefully his new deal reflects that, $$$ wise. Good signing I think, but really going to need a scorer with that 2nd import spot. I think they should look at a swingman for that 2nd bigger $$$ import and maybe bring back Jett as 3rd import.

Reply #744800 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I love AJ and if this gives him the incentive to play hard and use up his 5 fouls knowing that Boone is on the bench waiting to return then we could really see his personal pride come to the fore.

I know that I've suggested that I'd be ecstatic to see what Rotnei could do with the improved league and signing a great rebounder in Boone makes me think that Rotnei would let quite a few fly if he does indeed get signed. What would his asking price be at this point in his career, surely Rotnei wouldn't be a budget import yet.

Any chance that Conklin returns?

Reply #744801 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

If Andersen returns then they only have one slot open. Maybe they start Grida and go for a primo PG.

Reply #744804 | Report this post

Rowdy  
Years ago

Both MB, they'll have a scoring G come in current one on the rumour mill looks great, as well as Andersen being re-signed. I think Boone would of cost a bit but not as much as some people think.

Reply #744805 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Great to see Boone remaining in the NBL

Andersen return doesn't make sense if they now have Boone and Ogilvy. You wouldn't play Andersen at the 4 these days.

Reply #744808 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

So you don't actually disagree with me, maybe just didn't pick up my scepticism about their financial position. You seem informed though so on a serious note, give me your potential rotation, interested to see now that the roster is nearly complete.

Reply #744809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anderson not returning, Cairns, Europe or out.

Reply #744821 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

"A sizeable quartet it reminds me of Melbourne Tigers having Nevill, Heliwell, Tragardh and Burston."

LOL. We all know how that went.

Reply #744871 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I guess reality is you have a new coach, with new ideas, new preferences, and none of the allegiances.

But also, have not seen anything official on this yet???

Personally, if you were already stuck with AJ, and with AndersEn playing well off the bench, then signing Froling, Boone would not have been a priority.

Still, it adds fuel to rumour I've heard about Andersen signing elsewhere.

Reply #744873 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

It didn't go well for the Tigers.

I think Andersen will end up elsewhere anyway.

The Long to Perth rumour still flickering while his signing with United yet to be announced.

Reply #744874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

story about 36ers new signing had Anderssen returning and a story about Boone to that Andersen was returning to the Hawks

Reply #744875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Long to United *has* already been announced, hasn't it?

Reply #744879 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

A sizeable quartet it reminds me of Melbourne Tigers having Nevill, Heliwell, Tragardh and Burston.

Don't forget Gleeson as coach who ultimately got sacked. What a McPeake shitshow that team was.

Reply #744899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks owner suggests another ex NBA import

Reply #744982 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Long to United *has* already been announced, hasn't it?
No. He announced it himself, Melbourne promptly came out and said they'd not even put an offer to him.

Don't forget Gleeson as coach who ultimately got sacked. What a McPeake shitshow that team was.
That was Westover's last year, Gleeson wasn't there until the season after.

Reply #745049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FWIH BOONE is broke. Little training during the week and plagued with injury.
Came in unfit and injured. Maybe he will do something in the off season to get his body in shape. Time will tell.

Reply #745250 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Anon, I think you will find that's because Boone plays through his injuries. He never missed a game in his 2.5 years with Melbourne.

Boone did this great interview with Liam earlier this month before he signed with the Hawks:

How does your body feel?

Great. In fact, despite what anybody wants to say or think, I haven't missed a single game in my NBL career. Not one. I've played all 80-or-so games of my NBL career, however many it’s been. I have never missed one.

I’ve had to leave a couple of games early with injuries but never actually flat out missed a game. I don’t think there are too many people who could say that in the league, who have played that number of games.

That’s interesting as there is definitely a perception that you’ve been banged up.

Yeah, that’s because I’m a guy who even if I get hurt I will still play. I’ve played through injuries my whole career.

Most basketball players, most athletes, play through injuries and I’ve played through some very serious ones. I think my time in China really helped me do that because I essentially played on one leg in China for about eight or nine games because they wouldn’t let me sit out. A lot of places in Europe, they don’t let you sit. That is the whole reason why I ended up having to leave Turkey in the beginning, because my shoulder was injured and they wouldn’t give me time off. They just decided to bring someone else in instead of giving me two weeks off which was all I needed.

Okay but why would you carry that approach into the NBL with Melbourne United who are a club who clearly don’t operate like that?

No you’re right, they don’t. They are very well run in that sense. They had a great training staff, a great support staff who would never force a player to play. If anything they would always err on the side of caution. There were several practices that I was forced to sit out of last season instead of practicing. Of course, practice is practice, games are a different story.

In my view there was just never an injury that came up in the last couple of years that was something I couldn’t play through. There have been a couple of times where I literally had to go out in warm ups to see if I could do it, but I was still able to do it. I’m just not going to sit out unless I legitimately cannot play.

http://www.nbl.com.au/news/article/qa-josh-boone-on-united-his-numbers-and-where-he-wants-to-play-next

This interview plus some commentary I've heard him do during pre-season games have been very insightful. He's an intelligent guy.

Reply #745254 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Sadly the perseverance to play every game is why he is cooked now.

Reply #745270 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Intelligence guy, but I don't think he will gracefully work his way down the rotation to allow his body to play smaller minutes to keep the second unit competitive.

Best example I can think of is Dennis Lille. He could have been the leading medium pace bowler as he matured, but he pushed his body to continue as a pace spearhead. This shortened his career.

Reply #745276 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Intelligent guy.

Another auto cowreck effort.

Reply #745277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dennis Lillee reference is new, but no way he could be a medium pacer. His game was the classic Australian fast bowler, speed and intimidation. Like saying Stephen Curry will become a John Stockton later on.

Reply #745280 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Anon

Lille had great control, line, movement off seam, swing. Occasional effort ball would surprise with pace.

What more could you ask for in a medium pace bowler?

Reply #745299 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

This a Ronnie Corbett skit? Started with Boone. Lillie is just a f'rinstance. Can we stick with Boone? (Lillie was good though, wasn't he?).

Reply #745314 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Ewww stickball!

Reply #745339 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Ok. I'll stick to Boone.

He was clearly the best centre his first couple of seasons in NBL. Other teams recruited to counter this. Boone started to lose his edge. He is now no longer the best centre. If he accepts this, and scores a reduced role, it will prolong his career. But a reduced role will result in less money. Between Jawai and Boone, any team would compete really well up front, but would any team take the risk? AJ should be more physically reliable and serviceable that Boone, but what about his effort?

Reply #745347 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Boone is an import. he can't work his way down the order unless he becomes naturalised or a tea wants to burn an import slot. He's also unlikely to hang around playing for pizza money, unless he's made his home here.

Lillee WAS a first-change Medium pacer by the time he retired. He was also 35, which was old for a Test Cricketer in the 80's.

Reply #745466 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:59 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754