Anonymous
Years ago

Wiley gone, Euro buyout?

Just heard on 5aa Wiley gone via European buyout. Any truth to this?

Topic #45276 | Report this topic

Camel 31  
Years ago

joey was on radio 5aa a week ago and said ' he's contracted ' about 4 times, when asked about it....

Reply #745349 | Report this post

Yolo  
Years ago

He isn't coming back , will activate his buy out

Reply #745350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

were to now for the 36ers

Reply #745363 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Get another import. Might work out alright.look to upgrade.

Reply #745364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wants the shopping list

Reply #745365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wiley never really won games. He was a great supporting cast recruit that was very entertaining but he wasnt the Casper/Cotton/Patterson/Prather that can win games in his own right when needed.

Adelaide wouldnt necessarily lose out if he left.

Reply #745368 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Wiley did a Road Runner on the Sixers. Meep meep.

Reply #745372 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

What exactly does a buyout entail?

Reply #745376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good, now hopefully we can find a better fit to the team.

Reply #745378 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

A buyout means the player is contracted long-term, but can buy his way out of the remainder of his contract, according to an agreed formula (stipulated in the contract.)

They're technically unlawful in Australia, but I gather its allowable under FIBA rules. The intention is never that the player is forced to buy his own way out, but it means that if another team comes along with a huge offer, they can buy him out. So in theory its a win-win-win. 6's get some cash, he goes to a better team for more money, and they get their player.

I can't recall it actually happening, but I do recall before Beal's last season, there was the possibility of someone buying him out.

I thought most guys would have a Euro-out clause, and this would only apply to other leagues?
But perhaps he doesn't have a Euro-out, or its very specific and restricted?

Reply #745379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is #745372 trying to be funny.

Reply #745388 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

He's a Perth fan, it's not his fault

Reply #745390 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It was my last chance to use that play of words since he's leaving. Sorry.

Interestingly Wiley's stats in the second best domestic league in the world ACB are far superior than his NBL ones. Was he wrongly utilised at the Sixers?

Reply #745394 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

play on words*

Reply #745395 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Of course he was wrongly used, what did he have in Perth 11 points in the first 4 minutes and then fiñished with what 17 points for the game and hardly touched the ball for the rest of the game.

For someone so enthusiastic and emotional, I don't thînk the 36ers went to him not nearly enough when he was feeling good and then benchèd him just in the hope of playing Deng into form.

I'll misss him and how much he went at Illawarra... That was fun

Reply #745397 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, Wiley was critically underused. Had his faults defensively, but Joey inexplicably glued him to the bench for long stretches, even when he had had a strong start to games.

Reply #745398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We also had a point guard that didn't utilise the hot hand but instead took shots for himself when other players were feeling it

Reply #745399 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Think this may work in Sixers favour as they can now get an import to suit the balance of the team. Loved Wiley but couldn't play defence. Not a good pairing alongside DJ. Need another big to allow DJ to play more at the 4.

Reply #745403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What would be the best replacement? Feel they need a guy that can get a score when needed. DJ is good but someone needs to get him the ball. Do they go with a 3 that can play a bit of 4 rather than a 4 that can play a bit of 3.

Reply #745411 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I don't think scoring will be too much of a problem. What they need is basically an agile big man like Wiley, but who can actually rebound and play defence. If the Sixers do get some buyout money from the Wiley deal and can nail his replacement, then things are starting to go in the right direction again finally.

Reply #745415 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Need a shot blocker key way presence. Strong post game. Allow DJ to have space.

Reply #745416 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I don't think there will be any buyout money as the Sixers had to release Wiley from his new contract to allow him to play in Spain in the first place.

Reply #745419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac, you can "loan" teams a contracted player.

Reply #745424 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Boti said they released him from his contract. He's chosen not to re-sign with us.

Reply #745426 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Was never convinced Wiley was a good fit for Adelaide and never understood why they rushed to re-sign an import like they did. In saying that though, he's putting up good numbers in Spain and has already made it to the NBA so you do wonder if Adelaide were getting it right in how to use him.

Liam Santamaria has suggested Adelaide won't be disappointed with the replacement player if it works out, so they must be determined to bring in someone who can seriously boost them.

I think what's happened is, Adelaide were in talks with a big name point guard but went in the cheaper direction when they realised Wiley wasn't coming back. If that's the case, I guess the plan is to free up as much money as they can to replace Wiley with a stud while hoping Taylor can be as good as someone they have to pay more to get. I'm not suggesting Taylor is budget in regards to ability though. It could just be a way of being more flexible and as we've seen, if Taylor doesn't work out, he can always be replaced.

Reply #745427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac if Boti says it must be right then LOL

Reply #745428 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Any NZBL or NBL1 players being considered..

Reply #745439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ibekwe

Reply #745442 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Wiley leaving and the Sixers getting paid is probably the best news I have heard all off-season (second only to Teys and White for 2 more years).

Wiley is decent but he is not the import you need for a Championship aspirant.

Reply #745455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Boti said they released him from his contract. He's chosen not to re-sign with us."

Part of that release could include a buy-out amount if he doesn't return for next season.

Reply #745458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Life of a Sixers Fan:

Pre-Season: All our players are Shit, Joey should be sacked and I'm not renewing my membership.

Regular Season: All our players are the best in the league, Joey is the best coach, and we are going to win the Championship.

Post-Season: All our players are shit and should not be re-signed, Joey is leaving, and its all management's fault.

Reply #745464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True Life of a Sixers Fan:

Pre-Season: We should sign Ibekwe

Regular Season: We could win more game and be a real championship contender if we paired Ibekwe with Johnson

Post-Season: Glad that's done, now we can sign Ibekwe for next season

Reply #745465 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Might be a Euro/NBA out, but the club gets some compensation, written in.
I got the impression of him being injured, those games he was no good and not many minutes. Sure looked pretty good some games.

Reply #745477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lavoy Allen rumoured ex nba player

Reply #745486 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Also friends with Ramone Moore...

Reply #745489 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

My only memory of Lavoy Allen is of him as a rookie playing his @ss off defending KG in the 2012 playoffs. Very good rebounder and defender as a young college and NBA player. No idea if he still has the athleticism and desire to still make an impact in the NBL!

Reply #745512 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Beantown, he's only 30.

Reply #745514 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah I know how old he is. If he signs and is fit and committed then he could be a huge pickup for the Sixers. I just don't want to get my hopes up after all the negative shit that has gone down since losing the GF.

Reply #745589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eric Griffin. Remember that name. I'm the anon that tipped Obi Kyei to the 36ers. Griffin had a murder charge pending but got dropped. Google him. He will be in Adelaide. Perthworld you are welcome for this tip.

Reply #745597 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Certainly makes it easier to play without a murder charge hanging over your head.

Quite the journeyman though.

Reply #745599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Alleged murderer, will fit in well in Adelaide

Reply #745625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably an easy way to get him at a good price. I mean not many teams would take an accused murderer

Reply #745639 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Actually reading the story it was more a case of mistaken identity?

#597 thanks again!

Reply #745670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

didnt the witness say the culprit was 6'0-6'2ish and Griffin is 6'9, so very much sounds like they went for the wrong man and Griffin is likely innocent.

Reply #745679 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Griffin looks like he can put the ball on the floor and do a bit of everything. Allen looks more like a tougher inside player which is something I think Adelaide need. Kind of a catch 22.

Who is more suited do we think?

Reply #745884 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Griffin looks like Wiley but has a stronger body, better handles and is a genuine shot blocker. Could be a who knows what you'll get.

Allen will be mr consistent. Great in the low block and rebounder at both ends.

With Froling back i’d take a chance on Griffin.

Reply #745904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

boti wrote Wiley replace can play 1234

Reply #745971 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:27 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754