Anonymous
Years ago

Opals Squad 2019

https://australia.basketball/blog/2019/05/29/chemist-warehouse-australian-opals-squad-named-for-asia-cup-selection-camp/

I'm guessing Cole is aiming for 3x3 over 5x5?
Kunek, Garrick also.

Bunton still injured?

A lot of players lucky to be on the list.

Topic #45288 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitchell
Mangakahia
Mansfield
Lavey
Seekamp
Tupaea
Whitcomb
Ebzery
Madgen
Wilson
Nicholson
Ohea
Talbot
Allen
Blicavs
Garbin
Bishop
Smith
Magbegor
Aokuso
George
Tolo
Cambage

Reply #745620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why no Kelsey Griffin?

Reply #745629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think sandy knows we are limited in the guard spot and we have plenty of options at pf. Whitcomb will no doubt be the naturalised player chosen.

I'd say

Seekamp/Ebzery/Lavey
Whitcomb/Ohea
Allen/Talbot
George/Smith/Magbegor
Cambage/Tolo

Mangakahia might push Lavey out although she is playing quite well.
Nicholson might also come in but I'm not sure for who.

Reply #745630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Nicholson doesn't make the opals, she should play 3x3 in Tokyo pushing out zavecz.

Reply #745632 | Report this post

jjj  
Years ago

Griffin is injured. Having surgery on a foot injury

Reply #746340 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

She will take Mitchell as the naturalised player not whitcomb, she needs a steady leader

Reply #746345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a chance in hell Mitchell makes it over Whitcomb. 34 in a month and 35 y.o in Tokyo. Although she might be back at the Phoenix she offers very little these days.
Ohea will be the leader imo.

Reply #746349 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Whitcomb is not a patch on Mitchel
Age has nothing to do with it at all
Mitchel is a natural court leader, Ohea is also injured right now, ongoing injury so she may be a no show too
Brondello will take Mitchel she's too smart not to take, so much experience and a better PG than any of the others

Reply #746454 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

They're both instant starters at their respective positions so IMO it will just depend on what Brondello feels the greatest need is. There's no wrong answer, the only shame is that we can't take both.

Reply #746477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sandy thinks so much of Leilani that they cut her from the Phoenix for a rookie to take her place, then realise they've made a mistake 2 weeks into,the season and then resign her again. Hmmm..

Reply #746497 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

^ Leilani is a valuable asset on any team, and has it all over every other PG currently up for selection, I doubt very much she will not make the Opals,

Reply #746507 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Sandy thinks so much of Leilani that they cut her from the Phoenix for a rookie to take her place, then realise they've made a mistake 2 weeks into,the season and then resign her again. Hmmm..

^ someone who doesn't understand how the WNBA salary cap works. Mitchell was always in Phoenix's plans for this season.

Reply #746510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, they could have fit her in easy but they chose Carter instead.
Just look at the salary spread.

They simply made an error of judgement.

Reply #746511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Being the last player,chosen and not realising you need close,to,100k to,bring her back, instead take,carter at half that salary and then realise we can get Mitchell to come back if she takes a huge pay cut. Wasn't offered before, only now.

Reply #746513 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Lol, they could have fit her in easy but they chose Carter instead.
Just look at the salary spread.

They simply made an error of judgement.

$97k is the same as $42k right? Maths is hard. Also Brondello hates Steph Talbot too.
Yikes.

Reply #746517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why wasn't Carter waived before,the season started then?
Talbot was getting half what little was getting. Why not waive her, keep,talbot and sign Lei to 97k.
Only a second round pick for Talbot..

Reply #746518 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Little's contract is guaranteed for this season.

Reply #746581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Carson? And Cunningham....
Talbot was very good in last years finals and has played really good defense under reeves so far.

Reply #746588 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Ok I'm not sure what your point is anymore. You're now questioning why they want Essence Carson on the roster, and why they'd rather keep their 2nd rounder than Talbot?
Maybe this will help

And clearly Sandy would like to have kept Talbot, she was handy last season, but a cap is a cap. She did well to get a 2nd rounder for her IMO. I'd also dispute that Talbot has played very good D this season. From what I've seen she has been a borderline liability so far, 3 out of 4 games she has failed to even get a rebound which is normally something you can count on, but I think she probably just needs some more time to adjust to Reeve's system.

Reply #746596 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:38 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754