Spinner
Years ago

Are Sixers in $ trouble??

Received three phone calls over the last 2 weeks wanting me to pay now over the phone for our renewal not due until end next week. Are they hard up or what? Never happened before in 20 years???

Topic #45329 | Report this topic

Gazeeee  
Years ago

This is what happens when u pay 2 rents on 2 venues I guess

Reply #746632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They reached the Eastern Conference semi finals and are owned by a billionaire jewish businessman. Pretty sure they'll be fine.

Reply #746633 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Wonder if they are also calling Wiley's club now to ask for buy out pre-payments.

Reply #746637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The looming threat of the Perth Bandits have them scared

Reply #746641 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

LOL

Reply #746642 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

#746633 - That's Adelaide Sixers I’m talking about!!

Reply #746644 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

I don't think it is a sign of trouble. I think it is just what the people calling are getting paid to do. It is also to make people make a quick decision instead of waiting for the last minute and then deciding not to renew.

Reply #746645 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Are Sixers still in $ trouble??

Fixed the thread title.

Reply #746650 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Bit rude to be honest asking for early payment unless a discount is offered you should pay when it's due.

Hopefully the equalisation money gets to Illawarra, Cairns and of course Adelaide.

Reply #746651 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah, I think they're just worried about losing members over the move to the Ent Cent. When they called me to offer me new seat options, they politely pushed me to lock in my payments then and there. I probably will renew, but I am still annoyed about worse seats and increased costs and so I’m waiting for the last possible moment to hand over my cash. They’ll be getting it in instalments this season too lol!

Reply #746653 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

WTF

They ask you to pay for your membership, and you cite that as evidence they're in financial trouble???

Reply #746656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jeez you are a dick Dazz. The point is that they are calling people EARLY trying to get their coin before it's required! Do you pay your rates before they are due? Electricity. I am sure you get it. But clearly not.

Reply #746657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For a long time the taipans used to get the players who were still around in the post-season to call members who hadn't renewed yet to see if they could talk them into coughing up. quite surprise to get a call from Stephen Weigh at work trying to shake me down for cash.

Reply #746668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think it'd be feasible for them to call every member on the day payment is due... Would it be smarter for them to call them after it's due?

Reply #746669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would depend how they do it. Acceptable to be on the front foot to try and get cash due to arena change. Especially maybe include a deal, percentage off, merchandise etc. But 3 times in 2 weeks sounds annoying. Using players would definitely help, has been done in most sports to make the member feel a bit special.

Reply #746672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Given that it's due at the end of next week and you are getting multiple calls, that does seem a bit... needy.

The benign explanations could be that all NBL clubs operate off limited revenue/limited sources of revenue and of course in the off seasons those almost completely dry up, or tend to be fairly front and back loaded, i.e. memberships (new or renewed) perhaps mostly occur early (when they are opened for sale/renewal) and late (when the season is close), with a few very quiet months in between. Sponsorships and corporate sales are probably similar - early off season push and response and then late off season push and response. So there might just be an overall effort to spread the revenue more evenly through these off season months, with overall weekly revenue targets there that staff members are asked to hit and that's just filtering down from the 'big' of corporate sales to the 'small' of getting a member to pay up even a week or two early, just to try and get to that overall target number for 'this week'. It might not mean financial trouble at all, just someone trying to hit a personal target or KPI.

I also saw that the Sixers were advertising for a new Commercial GM a couple of months ago. Maybe that person is now in place and has just come in hot - pushing hard on delivering immediate results. So a similar thing, it's someone just trying to hit a current target and it's not financial trouble, just a new boss in the room with a new remit or a new approach that's different to the past.

Reply #746676 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Umm, I'm not the ____ alleging my club is broke because they want people to pay for their memberships.

I can't make up my mind if the OP was joking, trolling, trouble-making, or really just that ____.

I don't know why the 6's are phoning people, maybe only those members who haven't given their emails?? I get all my reminders by email.
There's not a really a direct comparison, because the Cats have a payment plan.
But yes, certainly with other payments and memberships I will receive multiple reminders.

Particularly if there is a cut-off date, then you would expect the club to issue multiple reminders. You would be the first one to complain if you missed the date and the club gave your seats away.

I would also imagine that with the move to the new venue, and supposedly many people not happy with their "like 4 like seats" then they are very keen to get a handle on how many are renewing.

Reply #746687 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

D2.0 Definitely not trolling! My point is that for the last twenty years we have received a form either by post or email offering different payment methods and confirmation of renewal by the end of June. This year we receive nothing by post or email, but 3 phone calls in 2 weeks wanting us to pay over the phone. In addition to this, every member I have spoken to were offered the worst possible "like for like" seating in the new venue that we had to upgrade to more expensive seats to have anything close to what we had. Another cash grab from their committed members?

I raised these and several other concerns to Ben Kavenagh (CEO) by email seeking comment and he would not respond by email, only offering to speak by phone or face to face where he didn't have to commit in writing. I made this allegation to him and haven’t heard back. What a surprise!!

Reply #746694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My understanding is that the online payment system doesn't cater for situations where a member has requested a change in allocated seat, ie it is not a simple renewal. Therefore, each such member has to be contacted individually by phone - this is time-consuming so they had to start early.

I seem to be in the minority but after"downgrading" our seats from Gold Plus to Gold, we are paying less for better seats in a better stadium that's much easier to get to. I'm very happy with the change although the real test will be when we have the actual match night experience.

Reply #746696 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Such makers and groaners. Offers to speak to you and that's not good enough. What do you exactly want. Tickets or mot. Communication or not.

Reply #746700 | Report this post

Krazy  
Years ago

Nothing like this surprises me with the 36ers, not the greatest run organisation. Our owner isn't as poor as many believe, obviously just tighter with his cash than others.

Reply #747638 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

We've all debated the whys and wherefores of moving to the AEC, but bottom line is that its happening.
Now if, as we suppose, its more expensive, then yes you will need to pay more for your seats.

I can't comment on the "like 4 like" issue, not being familiar with either venue. But if you don't like your seats, and want better ones, then yes you have to pay more. Hardly a "money grab".

Reply #747659 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:47 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754