Benno
Years ago

Jacob Wiley to Panathinaikos

Ey Malaka

https://sportando.basketball/en/panathinaikos-reportedly-agreed-to-terms-with-jacob-wiley/

Topic #45348 | Report this topic

PyroCross  
Years ago

Adelaide with that buyout money.

Reply #747066 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Unlikely to be any buyout money he had a Euro out clause in his new contract.

Reply #747067 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Liam Santa said his out clause was on buyout.

Thank you Wiley...you did more for the Sixers by not playing than you ever did playing.

Reply #747068 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Boti's a bit closer to the 36ers action than Santamaria. The team had to release him from his contract to go and play in Spain anyway so there is no contract with the 36ers he's a free agent and has chosen to sign elsewhere rather than negotiate a new contract with the 36ers.

Reply #747069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he signed a new deal with Adelaide his clearly not a free agent...

Reply #747070 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

What about all the guys who are still contracted by their NBL clubs (or signed new ones like Wiley did) but are playing overseas? I wouldn't think their contracts got released.

Eg Sobey, Nick Kay NZNBL and Casper Ware?

Reply #747071 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Which he opted out of to play in Spain.

Reply #747072 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Zodiac - Boti Nagy's latest blog restates the fact that Wiley signed a 1-year extension before heading to Spain. There's been discussion in other threads about how those deals work. i.e., NBL contracted players can be given leave to play elsewhere during NBL off-season.

So it's highly likely Santamaria's correct in saying the contract's out-clause requires his extension to be bought out.

Nagy also confirms Eric Griffin as the replacement, as posted by others on here over the last couple of weeks.

Reply #747073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide make me laugh.
They should sign all their players to multi year deals so that if they leave early they can claim buyout money haha.

Reply #747074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Zodiac many players go to Europe/other countries during the offseason, he signed the deal to return next season. Adelaide had his rights!

Reply #747076 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'm well aware what goes on during the offseason thanks I'm sure Boti specifically wrote about 1-1.5 months ago that his new contract with the Sixers was torn up once he exercised the Euro out clause to go and play in Spain.

I've been looking for the specific post on his blog and haven't been able to find it so will bow out of the convo as he's now posted something contradictory to that anyway.

Reply #747078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide wouldn't want to have his rights given the fuss they've made in the past. It seems to have made them a real free agent destination since Mitch Creek's debacle

Reply #747079 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

*facepalm* how many times are we going to have this argument about playing elsewhere in the off season while being contracted to NBL teams? (probably until teams themselves actually confirm it, maybe, or until there is some consistency and transparency?)

Wiley would have been an idiot to have a Euro buyout clause in his contract instead of the usual euro outs that pretty much every NBL player would have...

Reply #747081 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

That's true Wookie there was nothing really in it for Wiley to get that new deal done with the Sixers late last season it always struck me as more PR and something to rev up the boys in the final week of the season to make a playoff push.

Reply #747085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide truly embarrassed themselves over the handling of the Creek situation.

Didn't realise Boti still writes I thought he retired.

Adelaide do attract quality free agents see Kevin White for example.

Good luck Wiley and well done for escaping South Australia.

Reply #747086 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Just for discussions sake, would Pathaniaikos have had to buy him out in Euros? And what sort of price range would the buyout have been?

Reply #747089 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Wiley would have been an idiot to have a Euro buyout clause in his contract instead of the usual euro outs that pretty much every NBL player would have"

Perhaps, but maybe the deal was otherwise very attractive?

Perhaps the buyout is paid for by the new club, and for them doesn't count towards salary? He's probably going to sign whatever deal his agent negotiates, so who knows.

I just hope that this doesn't turn into another Creek bitch-fight Adelaide asserting that he's contracted, and Wiley claiming he aint.

Reply #747090 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Some people here not understanding contracts.
I'm sure Wiley was happy to get a contract early (job security) and with receiving the said contract early was happy to have a Euro buyout (highly unlikely at the time)
Wiley has exceeded expectations in Europe and has earn’t himself a better paid contract.
The team in Europe is happy to pay the buyout, Wiley happy to get paid more and Adelaide happy to get some money for signing an import early.

Reply #747091 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Didn't realise Boti still writes I thought he retired.

His sources have either retired or dropped dead going on his inaccuracy nowadays.

Reply #747092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This article says he signed a two year deal with 36ers a while back. Excuse my ignorance but if that deal is not honoured then surely there's a buyout fee involved right? Otherwise it's completely pointless doing a two year deal with any half decent player.

https://sneakershoptalk.com/adelaide-36ers-re-signs-jacob-wiley/

Reply #747122 | Report this post

Yolo  
Years ago

Its very simple

You can't have 2 contracts in place at the same time

In order to go from the NBL to another league the NBL team must clear you to the other team

When they clear you they are signing to say that there are no more obligations on either party so effectively ending the contract regardless of the term left to run on the initial deal.

When the 36ers released Wiley to Europe that was the end of his contract, exactly the same as when they released Creek

If players opt to return and honour their contract then that is a gentleman's agreement and not a binding deal. ( Bradtke , Bruton , McCarron etc etc )

If the 36ers wanted to collect on a Wiley buy out clause they would have needed to do it before releasing him to Gran Canaria.

Reply #747124 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Thanks Yolo hence why there won't be any buyout money for the Sixers his new Sixers contract was terminated the moment he signed with Gran Canaria.

The Sixers knew all this they re-signed Wiley mainly for the PR and he was willing to go along with it just in case nothing came in from Europe.

Reply #747126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Since Zodiac is clearly looking at the paperwork and doing the negotiations, we should all listen.......

A bunch of experts out here, that have never actually done any of these deals.

Reply #747135 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I haven't seen the paperwork and I dare say Yolo & Wookie haven't either but I remember what Boti wrote in a blog post about it not that long ago and I'm sure he knows the score.

Why would the Sixers perpetuate the myth that Wiley was still contracted to the team even when he was playing for Gran Canaria? Because they're moving into a new stadium and want to sell as many memberships as possible he is after all an exciting player.

Reply #747136 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

OH FFS.

Of course you can have multiple contracts.

And NO, granting a clearance does NOT mean they waive the contract.

Look at all the guys playing in the NZNBL! You think they are somehow magically not contracted to their NBL teams any more?

Reply #747143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Absolutely wrong. Yolo is spot on. And if you understood what is required for an international clearance to be granted, then you'd realise you can't have two contracts in place. FIBA won't allow it.

Reply #747146 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I am no expert but Liam Santa definitely said Wiley has an Euro-out with buy out.

Now why would he mention that if the Sixers had to tear up that contact in the first place to go to Europe?

Reply #747149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you are contracted to a club and you want to play off season elsewhere, you have to get permission from your club. Most clubs don't have a problem with this, it keeps the player happy and he can a few bucks. Most players also have nba and euro out clauses in their contracts, depending on contract negotiations with first club, ( in this case Adelaide) there can be buy out money and can be free. It’s not cut and dried, it’s how the contract was negotiated. Only people who really no is the player, his agent, his contracted club and the club he’s trying to get to.
So Wiley could be free or have a cost associated with it. Smart agents try keep it minimal.

Reply #747154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Wiley would have been an idiot to have a Euro buyout clause in his contract instead of the usual euro outs that pretty much every NBL player would have"

European out clauses are not as common as they used to be. NBL teams are unlikely to allow Euro out clauses that can be invoked before they've played a game under that contract. If they do there would usually be an early opt-out date.

Reply #747156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The above post is correct. Zodiac, you're wrong.

I can recall Boti saying a while back on a podcast that Wiley and the 36ers had to tear up their contract in order for him to play overseas but he clearly had his wires crossed.

It seems he worked it out too, because on May 31 Boti changed his tune and wrote that "Wiley has an 'out' clause in his contract." (http://www.botinagy.com/blog/roadrunner-to-replace-wiley/)

Reply #747158 | Report this post

Yolo  
Years ago

D2.0

Happy to educate you here. This all depends on the intent of the player. The player can utilise the clearance as a way of not being forced to return to the initial club.

Once the player is cleared from one club to another , the new club effectively owns that player and can stop that player from going anywhere else

Euro clubs use this to their advantage and its how they don't make full payments to players

If the player hasn't got their money they take the club to arbitration with FIBA. This takes a long time and so the player is effectively tied to the club they are suing and isn't able to legally play anywhere else whilst they are in-dispute.

The club will say that they will release the player as long as they agree to $x and both parties move on. Player gets a substantial discount to what they were expecting but they go to a new club and start earning again instead of sitting on the sidelines.

Again remember how players in the past have ended up at different NBL teams despite having long term contracts.

The Wiley thing was good for both as long as he didn't get picked up elsewhere.

Reply #747169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not the NBA peeps!

Reply #747171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

YOLO, although what you're saying has happened from time to time, it’s not the norm, and the arbitration process isn’t good for teams that act unlawfully.
In this case, Wiley was cleared back to his original team, "36ers" at the conclusion of his season with Grand Canaria. This is how the “buyout” part works.
Once the buyout is payed, he will be cleared to the new team.

It’s fine for folks to speculate, just that it not always the correct speculation.

Reply #747361 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Buyout or no buyout who actually cares.

Reply #747365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obviously everyone who is discussing it, Hogwash. I'd say that’s the point of a forum in which people discuss these things.

Reply #747372 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Blah.

Reply #747375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smh....blah, what a solid comeback to a shitty post by you.

Reply #747459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL Facebook post thanking Wiley:

"Thanks for all the highlights, Wiley Coyote and best of luck with your next (Euro) step.

ICYMI Jacob Wiley will not return to the Adelaide 36ers after being bought out by Greek club, Panathinaikos."

So there you go: buyout. He wasn't a free agent, he had a euro out with a buyout.

Reply #748500 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:49 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754