Farviewer
Years ago

Sixers/Fellas Players & Profiles/Marketing

Attended the day of Junior Grand Finals at The Dome last Sunday. Enjoyed the games & atmosphere.

VERY sad and hugely disappointed that I did NOT see any Sixers or Fellas players out there during the day at all. (If they were, they were NOT prominent or seen by me). BASA did not even have these players available to present the Grand Final winning teams with their trophies.

There have been many topics started in these forums over the past few months, concerning players and Phil Smyth etc getting OUT in front of juniors and their parents at stadiums and events to promote the game and be seen.

Is it that hard to find 2/3 hours on one day or evening a week to BUILD a damn profile or at least make out you care about your paying public or future NBL stars? Such a tiny gesture would have been awesome, especially if these players talked to the kids, signed autographs and photos etc etc.

Ho Hum. Anyways I will still be at many of your games when I can.

Maybe BASA and the players try some thought on all of these issues and get active. (e.g. already tonight Isaac's idea re players photos in stadiums in another thread I saw, but why not also the female players, not just the males).

Topic #4535 | Report this topic

what the  
Years ago

i agree - where do so many of the kids at their games come from - the district comp - good job for a benchie or rookie - if the big boys don't want to play

Reply #52765 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Well, I can tell you that Brett Maher and Dusty Rychart actually did a primary school visit during the week.

I understand it would be nice to have 6ers / Fellas players at junior comps, but isn't this preaching to the choir? Wouldn't it be more important getting the players out to kids who dont play the game at the moment, promote the sport and grow the junior base even further?

Just my thoughts.

Reply #52776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The choir needs caring for also.

Reply #52779 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A 30-90 minute appearance from a handful of players isn't a big ask, IMO. Look back at the pre-season Friday when Sixers players visited stadiums during junior games and how well that was received. People loved it and while the players are paid to play and train, they are also very much about getting more people to games (just read Dusty or Oscar's blogs for examples). Someone like Brett will want time with his family, but the other guys would have some time to spare.

If they're reluctant to give up more time, offer them pizza after the appearance -- Reesy will do anything for food!

Reply #52792 | Report this post

Bullshit Artist  
Years ago

Isaac spot on. It doesn't take much for thses players to come out. After all kids fees are paying some of these players to play.

Reply #52869 | Report this post

Having been involved in basketball in Sydney for years before moving to Adelaide 2 years ago I am very disappointed with the lack of interest shown in the juniors by the Sixers/Fellas.
Everyone involved in the Kings from coach and senior players down to the bench players has to donate a minimum of 1 hour per week to assisting the local clubs. Often this could be a group coaching clinic, appearance at match games thru' to offering a one-on-one coaching clinic to be used for fundraising - this was always a popular raffle item.
When we moved to Adelaide it did not take long to realise the local basketball journo has an inbuilt hatred for Sydney, but if the local team gave a fraction of the support to juniors that they do - basketball in this state would be the winner. High profile Kings players would do club presentations for all the local clubs every year and never charged a cent. These players are the kids idols so plese make them more accessible. One word of encouragement from an idol is worth a million words from the normal coach.

Reply #52978 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:06 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754