Ingles13
Years ago

LaMelo to Illawarra Hawks

https://twitter.com/illawarrahawks/status/1140703491247050754

Topic #45362 | Report this topic

Big Ads  
Years ago

Illawarra getting it done. This season should be entertaining for so many reasons.

Reply #747476 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

This could be huge for the Hawks in terms of turning around their bleeding crowds.

Last year people turned up in their droves to watch their team play against Bogut, that effect will wear down, hopefully we see the same boost from the Ball signing.

Reply #747477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very guard heavy roster with an inexperienced coach and old bigs. I wish hawks well but not certain how it will all come together, Boone signing looks smart as his years of experience could help.

Reply #747481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seen some surprising chatter on my FB feed about those from other Sydney folks I know who aren't exactly basketball-fanatics. Good signs.

Honestly, I hope he does well. I think the dad has done some damage to all his sons' careers, but I don't blame that on the kids, and Melo sounds like the best prospect of all 3. Huge signing for the Hawks and the league - two lottery pick prospects playing in the league at the same time is ridiculous.

Reply #747483 | Report this post

scopes44  
Years ago

A couple things.
From a marketing standpoint. Fantastic job. He will bring in crowds, whether to support or heckle. No matter what it brings in interest internationally also.
From a development point of view, he made a great choice.
I have been following his families antics, and here in Australia, we won't put up with BS. But we will be entertained by Lavar for sure.
I just hope he uses this as an opportunity properly without distractions.

Reply #747486 | Report this post

scopes44  
Years ago

What chances of Gelo joining as 3rd import? (is there a spot, not sure?)

Reply #747487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gelo wouldn't make the roster as a development player. He's not good enough.

Reply #747489 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Corey tweeted that they've signed Aaron Brooks too, Hawks instant top 4 at this stage.

Reply #747490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The signing from the club perspective is great, marketing, selling tickets & memberships but realistically can't see him playing more than 10 minutes a game. His offensive skill set is impressive but it’s down to the way he plays defense against the quality guards in this league, haven’t seen any footage of him playing defense in his promotion videos. If he can handle the match ups in defense then he will play more minutes but I don’t see it

Reply #747491 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Any love for old mate Beston who got slayed on here less than a week ago from putting it out on twitter!

Gotta love the Hoops nuffies who bagged him when they only thing they know about basketball is whats ranted about on TV by Steven A Smith

Reply #747492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pffft, top 4!!!!!! An old guy who hasn't played in ages and a high school kid.

Reply #747496 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

Are we running a board here for how many games we get to before his fool of a father 1 - Trashes our league and 2 - Yanks his kid out of Australia and takes him elsewhere?

Reply #747497 | Report this post

scopes44  
Years ago

I agree probably not a lot of minutes. But still contribute. From his short announcement on The Jump his focus maybe on conditioning and strength. Against solid bodies in training and also mentoring by, what looks like Aaron brooks and Josh Boone and Dave A(dont know if signed sorry) He will be prepared. Plus low games and getting a feel for being professional.
As for Gelo, well sometimes deals of this nature, there must be something more in it for them.
It will be a circus - but I like it. Maybe Illawarra will play a few NBA sides this coming year.

Reply #747498 | Report this post

scopes44  
Years ago

If he yanks him out of the NBL - he will not be drafted. So they have a vested interest in this.
I consider Lavar a much more out there marketer. He reminds me of a much louder Cal Bruton. Who was an exception marketer, except he was a player and coach too. Cal wanted all his kids to play on the same team at one point.

Reply #747500 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I'm not so sure about top 4 but they will be interesting to watch.
More eyes on the NBL now thanks to Hampton and Ball.

Reply #747502 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

By my count, the Hawks roster currently looks like:

Todd Blanchfield
AJ Ogilvy
Tim Coenraad
Emmett Naar
Daniel Grida
Angus Glover
Sunday Dech
Sam Froling
Josh Boone
Aaron Brooks
LaMelo Ball

It's pretty extreme in terms of the experience levels of the players so that's going to be a challenge for a rookie coach, but there's some serious potential there.

Reply #747504 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Ok. maybe I jumped the gun, strong potential for top 4 then. Ppl thought they'd make finals last season with Conklin, Jett and CJ, Boone and Brooks with Lamelo is a massive upgrade IMO. Plus the other lower end teams aren't really making splashes in the cheque book. United and Kings have built rosters to compete for finals, we know the Cats will have something up their sleeves to match those 2, 36ers have become a bit of a rabble losing players faster than they're signing them. Bullets I feel will always be up and down, but will fight for that last spot. NZ are still up in the air. Illawarra have built a solid team and they've done it reasonably early, props to them, they will "push" for top 4.

Reply #747505 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I can't wait for Lavar to tell me to "stay in yo lane" when I trash his kid.

Reply #747506 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah Top 4 will depend heavily on how good Brooks is exactly. We've had Bowen and Ferguson, but neither was rated as highly as Ball at this point of their careers so it's hard to gauge his impact, but I don't imagine he'll be dominant. Hopefully he isn't a selfish chucker hoping to average 20PPG to boost his draft stock. That's the real risk with him (zero cares about the dad for me) - Bowen and Ferguson accepted their roles and played within the team concept, will Ball do the same?

Reply #747507 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Isn't he similar to his brother? More about passing than scoring?

Reply #747511 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I think he's more of a scorer from the footage I've seen of him.

Reply #747512 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Does Flinn have the coaching chops to handle Ball and the ensuing circus?

Reply #747513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is funny how because of the Dad's antics people assume the kid will be selfish etc.

Seems from his interviews and his announcement today that he's reasonably low-key personality wise and ready to work on his game.

Lonzo Ball is the same, he's not about the rah-rah.

Reply #747515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Does Flinn have the coaching chops to handle Ball and the ensuing circus?"

It is a pity Bevo left. One of the premier developers of young talent in our country.

Reply #747516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any publicity is good publicity, that's what Lavar works on. And it works. People who aren't confident in their ability to judge talent, will always give a Ball consideration because of the publicity that surrounds the family.

Reply #747517 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Adelaide have become a rabble.
Well said Senator 11.

Will there be anymore next star signings?

Who will have more impact Hampton or Ball?

Reply #747518 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Great to see Next Stars going to teams other than the Big 3.

Yes, it appears his dad will be a handful, but this is already paying off for Hawks and the League. Just read the tweets from people wanting jerseys and streaming.

Not to mention the fact that they're getting a player, probably good for a decent bench contribution, paid for by the League. Win-Win-Win

Reply #747521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully they improve the streaming service.

I think canada will be the option for these types of players soon. Don't think aus will be ablebtomcomtinue this program.

Reply #747522 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

What are the Beaches like in the Gong?

Can't imagine too many players queuing up to shovel snow and freeze their tits off in Canadia.

Reply #747527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the big question now whats the starting lineup? do you start Brooks and halfway through the year start Ball and who starts at PF. my starting lineup is

Brooks Naar
Blanchfield Ball
Young Conrrad
Boone Froling
AJ Andersen

Reply #747533 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Canada? Wut?

Australia is signing touted projects and you think Canada is gonna pull a decent national league from nowhere to compete all of a sudden? Their national league is terrible.

Reply #747534 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Apparently his current coach in the Spire League (Jermaine Jones) is also coming to Australia to "coach" him on how to be a professional athlete.

Reply #747535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the Hawks new supporter former president Obama on the hawks twitter

Reply #747541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To the anon in the previous post
The team so far
Brooks / Naar
Dech / Glover
Blanchfield / Grida
Import ? Or Anderson? / Coenraad
Boone / AJ
Next star LaMelo

Reply #747546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

canadas league is rising rapidly and they have much better depth than us and Close to the USA.

Reply #747548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

could the hawks face the New Orleans Pelicans in the NBL VS NBA

Ball vs Ball

Reply #747550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PG - Brooks/Naar/Dech
SG - Ball/Grida/Glover
SF - Blanchfield/Coenraad
PF - Import
C - Boone/Ogilvy/Froling

Reply #747553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so no Nick Young

Reply #747556 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

I look forward to the NBL's various social media comment sections turning into cesspools of teenagers complaining that LaMelo isn't playing 30MPG.

It'll almost be as bad as most Perth threads on here...

Reply #747557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which "twenty four" are almost as bad as Sixer threads.
Joey sux by the way

Reply #747560 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

From memory, didnt Brooks have problems with alcohol (thus ending his NBA career?) I might have him mistaken with someone else but without researching it I thought he did have some issues with the drink?

As for LaMelo, people jump on the hype train and think he is going to put up numbers in the NBL? He has talent, but he is not strong enough to be a consistent factor in a professional league.

Time will tell.

Reply #747576 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I don't remember that with Brooks - couldn't turn anything up with a quick google search either. Might be thinking of Ty Lawson?

Reply #747578 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Craig, you're thinking of Ty Lawson

Reply #747579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I found Aaron brooks Instagram it has the Hawks jersey and 9pm

Reply #747580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is Andersen returning or not?
Matt Campbell said two imports one career NBA player Brooks and another one who had TWO WAY contract?
that makes 13 players so who is a DP to fit in another import big?

Reply #747593 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Ty Lawson - correct, both undersized guards so that's what made me think of Brooks.

Hope he still has enough in the tank to contribute for the Hawks either way.

Reply #747715 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:09 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754