Anonymous
Years ago

LaMelo could be an immediate star in NBL

Anyone getting the feeling he could be an immediate star?

He seems to have a far superior skill set to Ferguson and Bowen. Also physically, after a recent growth spurt to 6'7, he might not necessarily get pushed around. Seems focused on getting stronger too.

Even though Hampton is a more highly rated prospect according to draft analysts, he does look a bit thin and that might affect him playing against grown men.

Topic #45367 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe, maybe not.

Reply #747581 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I'm not entirely convinced at this stage.

It's been really hard for me to evaluate this kid in terms of current skill level (his potential has always been palpable though without a doubt). People reckon he will hit 6"8 or maybe even 6"9 by draft time! Crazy!

The reason is that I'm not entirely sure about his current skill level is due to a range of factors:

1. Strength of opposition; and going hand in hand with that;
2. Suspicion that at a lot of levels Lavar has deliberately influenced who he plays (i.e. the Lithuanian saga where he seemed to create some average tour league over there to try and trick US based people into believing he was putting those numbers up against actual competition, the JBA); and
3. Suspicion that Lavar has influenced unnaturally a lot about offenses and team systems to better his kid i.e. Chino Hills/getting coaches fired etc.

I know he's played some very top elite competition (torched Oak Hill as a 15 y.o) - it's just hard to gauge given it seems to be infrequent.

Once I see how he goes in an environment without the possibility of Lavar shielding him/doing things to possibly inflate the hype, then we will know.

I wouldn't be surprised if he came in and did exceptionally well, because he has enormous potential without a doubt.

But again, I wouldn't be surprised if he struggled and averaged 8ppg or something like that;

Reply #747582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LaMelo seems every bit as thin as Hampton. I think if anything Hampton's got a stronger frame currently.

They *could* both be stars, but Ball is less proven than Hampton. Looking forward to seeing what both have to offer, and by all means, they should develop as the season goes on, they're super young. Shouldn't judge them on day dot.

No expectations but great hopes.

Reply #747583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From ESPN's article:

"LaMelo Ball spent four months in Lithuania at the beginning of 2018 with BC Vytautas. He averaged 6.5 points and 2.4 assists in 13 minutes over eight games in the Lithuanian first division, despite being only 16 years old at the time. His best game of the season came against Lithuanian league champion Zalgiris -- a team that qualified for the EuroLeague Final Four later that year -- with 19 points and six assists in 27 minutes."

Reply #747584 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Don't know, getting use to the rules and only taking two steps will be a tough adjustment.

Reply #747585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The international travel rule is the same as it is in the US now. Has been for 2 years.

Reply #747588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which one got done for shoplifting?

Reply #747589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What you don't have google ^?

Reply #747590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What you don't have google ^?

Reply #747591 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Define Star.
He's not going to be a Ware, Cotton, or Prather. Just doessn't have the experience or strength. Will also struggle defensively in an adult league.

But Bowen was handy, and you'd have to think he'll be better than that.
I'd expect more than a few scoring highlights.

Reply #747592 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Draft stocks will drop when he comes up against Damien Martin. :P

Reply #747601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't see him deal with the physicality of Australian basketball to be honest. Played kinda soft even in HS ball.

Reply #747631 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:29 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754