Well Read
Years ago

Should the NBL hire Lavar Ball?

Pairing Lavar with Homocide as the NBL's premiere talking heads would really lift the profile of the sport in Australia, catering to the average fan that can really understand basketball and basic English on their level.

Maybe include incentives like minority ownership in franchises, like Bogut's deal with the Kings.

As an added bonus: the Big Baller Brand could replace First Ever as the NBL's official apparel provider - finally giving fans an affordable and recognizable option.

I really can't see a downside to this, but I doubt Larry's ego would let him give up control of the mess he's created since pouring his time, resources and millions of dollars into the league over the past several years.

Thoughts?

Topic #45369 | Report this topic

D2.0  
Years ago

Why pay him, when by all accounts he will provide plenty of headlines for free

Reply #747594 | Report this post

Well Read  
Years ago

It's just good business. Trust me: I have my Cert III in business, I know what I'm talking about. The numbers add up.

Reply #747596 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Are. You. Fucking. Serious?

I really can't see a downside to this

Ok, you're obviously not serious, no-one could be this stupid... That's a relief...

Reply #747598 | Report this post

Well Read  
Years ago

Chewie, are you calling me stupid?

I always give 110%, so now you know I'm definitely serious.

Reply #747599 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

And it begins...

Sad part is that I honestly can't tell whether this is a joke or not.

Reply #747600 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

The fact that LaVar is even going to be in this country during our NBL season is terrible for the league.

Reply #747609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Overtime said today Jermaine Jackson his coach is coming not his dad, Lavar would be to busy stuffing up Lonzo Ball career first

Reply #747610 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

Good but as if he won't visit to watch his son play at some stage.

Reply #747616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lavar is harmless, he's just trying to pump up his boys.

As for Jermaine Jackson, hopefully he is a good influence, but I guess at a minimum he is experienced being a part of high profile families!

Reply #747625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's have elephants and lions come out at half time and trapeze artists throughout the game to go along with the rest of the circus if Lavar has any official capacity. Sure, he'll create some headlines and America will tune in, but the league should be way bigger than this individual. No downside, how about the league becoming a laughing stock. Lakers couldn't wait to get rid of him and that's Los Angeles, not Illawarra!

Reply #747627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No. Hope this helps.

Reply #747628 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I believed you up until you said that Big Baller Brand was more affordable than First Ever when you get that from K-mart for sweet fuck all.

Watching channel 7 news and how they basically report on nothing but football all year round, it wouldn't matter what Lavar says or does, it won't be reported... but I'd love to be proven wrong

Reply #747642 | Report this post

Some Bloke  
Years ago

Well the NBL pays Homicide, so why not? Can't get much worse....

Reply #747643 | Report this post

Well Read  
Years ago

Proud, we can't all afford to buy our clothes from K-mart like you!

Reply #747668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ESPN has distanced itself from Lavar Ball after some sexual comments on one of its shows this week.

Reply #747804 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

No they should not.

Reply #747809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lavar has invested a lot into his family to help his boys become stars on the world stage. He's done a great job so far in maximising his kids' futures. He understands the American publicity machine and how outspoken comments work in their celebrity-driven culture. And that won't stop when Melo gets drafted, as we've seen with Lonzo.

So, Lavar is fully invested one single NBL player. Team success and league success is largely irrelevant to him. It is all about preparing his son for the highest draft position as he can and by extension his future career. He'll be gone in March.

If the NBL can improve Melo's draft stock, then Lavar will sing the praises of the league for years. But I don't see where this translates into employing him to spruik the NBL now. He does not know the league. His son has a lot of Insta followers and has potential, but this is pro ball against grown-ass men.

What if it goes badly for Melo? Will there be no downside then? For the sake of this league, I really hope Melo can climb to number 1 in the draft.

Pray for Matty Flinn!!!

Reply #747813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pray indeed. I wouldn't want to be a first time head coach in the NBL and have to deal with that circus in the background, especially if results are ordinary which could quite possibly happen. Just ask Mike Kelly how hard first year coaching is. If Melo is not producing and therefore not playing much and they aren't winning, you know Lavar ain't going to stay quiet with an NBA draft looming. Guarantee it won't be his kids fault and the blame is going to be laid elsewhere. So you could say this is great publicity for the league, but Matty you'd better make this work for your team AND for Melo or you're going to be left holding the can. Noooooooo way would I want that pressure starting out coaching in the NBL.

Reply #747823 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Watching channel 7 news and how they basically report on nothing but football all year round, it wouldn't matter what Lavar says or does, it won't be reported... but I'd love to be proven wrong"

Well if all else fails,they can always bring back old mate with the beer.

Reply #748005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL all ready has, just don't know it yet

Reply #748426 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:42 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754