Anonymous
Last month

U17 Oceania teams announced

https://australia.basketball/blog/2019/06/24/teams-announced-for-fiba-under-17-oceania-championships/

Boys
Wigness
Bayles
Smith
Armstrong
Giddey
Abbot
Adebayo
Jones
Tsapatolis
Schmidt

Not selected
Hunt
Ryan
Griffin
Bryan
Bird
Taylor
Simons
Gristci
Rodgers
Waters
Rowe

Girls
Deeble
Melbourne
Swain
Notoa
Price
Potter
Dunn
Pollerd
Prior
Rees

Not selected
Cotton
Ellis
Evans
Hanafin
Henderson
Size
Wooley
MacDonald
Morgan
Hodges
Haywood
Sewell

Topic #45399 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Last month

Only 10 players again...

Wigness/Bayles
Armstrong/Smith
Giddey/Abbott
Adebayo/Jones
Tsapatolis/Schmidt

Melbourne/Deeble
Swain/Notoa
Potter/Price
Pollerd/Dunn
Rees/Prior

Reply #748223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

Weird its not 12?? Teams look about right though.

Reply #748226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

I would have had Griffin and Simons in the boys and Henderson in the girls.

Reply #748228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

It will be interesting to see how Giddey goes as he is one of our most highly touted prospects at the moment.

Reply #748229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

5'11 Wigness/6'0 Bayles
6'3 Armstrong/6'1 Smith
6'6 Giddey/6'6 Abbott
6'7 Adebayo/6'9 Jones
6'9 Tsapatolis/6'11 Schmidt

5'10 Melbourne/5'6 Deeble
5'10 Swain/5'11 Notoa
6'1 Potter/6'1 Price
6'3 Pollerd/6'0 Dunn
6'5 Rees/6'2 Prior

Don't think these will be the sides for Asia, can see a few changes and potentially a few bottom ages in the men, plus king with citizenship.

Reply #748231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

How dare the boys selectors not consult Janx, Scott Butler and every member of the Sturt Basketball Club as this is outrageous!!!!

Reply #748237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

Love it

Reply #748239 | Report this post

Aussie  
Last month

Don't think these will be the sides for Asia, can see a few changes and potentially a few bottom ages in the men, plus king with citizenship

Ummm... No. These are the official players selected

Reply #748242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

Selected for Oceania, not Asia....

Reply #748244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

Why do they refer to them as "Mens and Womens" since by definition they are neither?

If they think "Boys and Girls" is belittling, then why not "Male and Female"?

Reply #748247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

Abbott is the only head scratcher for me...

Reply #748250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

"Ummm... No. These are the official players selected".

Ummm... No. This is just the Oceania team.

Reply #748260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

What's the point of sending Wigness to Oceania? Given his schedule and the fact that he apparently sat out 18s for injury/workload management reasons, wouldn't there be value in seeing someone else in that setting and keeping him healthy for Asia? This isn't an age group that should struggle with the Kiwis the way the last group did.

Reply #748261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

I don't think you can overlook any nz team anymore.
We scraped past nz in u15 oceania and they came close at u18 Asia cup last year.

Our girls smashed nz in u15 oceanias but that was not there first team. They had 7 or 8 players MIA including a few that are based in Aus.

Doesn't really matter because all the other oceania nations a still way behind and we only need to make top 2 to qualify. Asia will continue to get much harder to qualify in top 4.

Reply #748262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

^ I agree we generally can't overlook NZ. But like you said, we only need a top-2 finish anyway and that is assured. The u15 Oceania team last year was a bit of a head-scratcher as selected, and arguably not our 'first' team, either. The u18s were a particularly weak Aussie age group and a particularly strong NZ group. So while in the right situation we can definitely lose to NZ, this group should be able to manage a win without Wigness and if they can't, then I think that's a real concern as they progress to Asia and Worlds.

Reply #748296 | Report this post

Anon  
Last month

Abbott maybe a head scratcher for you but when one of the Assistant Coaches is his rep coach then you probably know why he made it.

Reply #748323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

A nsw girl and an sa girl very unlucky not to make it, but that's life. Congrats to those that did make it and I’m sure you will do yourselves, your family and your country proud.

Reply #748332 | Report this post

Anon  
Last month

^There are girls who dominate in Vic and still don't get invitations to any camps. So what’s ur point.

Reply #748349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last month

^
To the parent whose kid didn't get the invite, probably unlucky to have missed out but they only take so many, like how they can only fit 10 into a team of 10.
So let me break it down for you. I will try and keep it simple.
2 girls unlucky to miss selection etc etc, but well done to the kids that did, etc etc etc.

Don’t disrespect the kids that get the invites. They don’t pick it, but some highly credentialed people do. Yes kids miss out, same as kids miss out on getting gigs at the COE. Selection or non selection should never defines where the 17 year old kid ends up with their basketball career.

Side note: my kids not their either - not even close, but the dream is still there.

Reply #748403 | Report this post

Reply to this topic

Random name suggestion for anonymous posters: Dione 38

Rules:You must read the Terms of Use. No spam, no offensive material, no sniping at other clubs, no 'who cares?'-type comments, no naming or bashing under 18 players. Learn how to embed YouTube videos or tweets

Please proof-read your post before submitting as you will not be able to edit it afterwards.

Close ads
PickStar - The best place to book sports stars
Westside Basketball Association
Dunk.com.au - Custom basketball uniforms

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

Invoicing clients? Stay productive with Punch, the insightful time tracker that earns you more.

Special offer: $30/month Pay $100 for lifetime access. Sign up now!

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:31 am, Thu 18 Jul 2019 | Posts: 776,725 | Last 7 days: 908