Anonymous
Years ago

NBA Free Agency discussion

Due to "officially" kick off in less than 24 hours.

However, there's already plenty of behind the scenes talk.

- Kyrie seems to be going to Brooklyn;
- This means D'Angelo Russell will be going elsewhere: Lakers and TWolves two interested parties;
- Kemba Walker will go to Boston to replace Kyrie;
- There is talk that Kawhi and KD are keen on joining forces (Knicks and Clippers rumoured);
- Klay Thompson will stay at GSW.

Topic #45415 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

If Walker leaves Charlotte and signs with Boston as expected Minny will then trade Wiggins' contract to Charlotte which will free up enough cap space for them to sign Russell to a max contract.

Reply #748776 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I still can't believe Jordan offered Walker $60 million below the max a real slap in the face well actually I can believe it.

Reply #748777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has Jordan ever offered the max to anyone?

Reply #748779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Charlotte are a mess. They didn't want to lock themselves into Walker yet on their books they are paying a boatload to Batum, Biyombo, MKG, etc. They do need to reset, but it was probably obvious a while ago and they probably should've traded Kemba last year to get some picks.

Reply #748780 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

They are a mess and taking on Wiggins and that bloated contract will just be to pacify the fans with some flashy highlights whilst they spend the next 3-4 years letting all those big contracts expire.

Reply #748782 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Charlotte are indeed a mess, but I don't think the franchise could really afford a supermax when they are already locked into a bunch of bad contracts and going nowhere. They should have been proactive and traded Kemba earlier for some assets, cleared their bad contracts and tanked last season.

I really like the fit for Kemba on the Celtics, but I do wonder if they would have been better off in the long run spending some money on a free agent centre and allowing the offence to be run through Hayward, Tatum and Brown? Might be one step back next season, but Tatum and Brown could really benefit from the increased responsibility.

If Kemba does indeed sign, there is some suggestion the Celtics are the team Houston has a deal with to offload Capela. That would be a pretty nice offseason rebound by Ainge if he could make that happen, but its dependent upon Butler wanting to go to Houston and Philly being willing to make it happen and I just don't see it.

More likely, the Celtics find a bargain basement bin centre - Noel, Vonleh, R. Lopez - and hope Rob Williams, Grant Williams and maybe Theis can all contribute some good minutes.

Reply #748800 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

What would Minny offer Charlotte to take on Wiggins bloated contract? Seems like a dumb thing to do straight after deciding not to pay to keep Kemba! If I were Charlotte I would only take him on for several draft picks and/ or the ability to dump one of my bad contracts.

Reply #748801 | Report this post

scopes44  
Years ago

Kemba has not taken the team to the playoffs. And you want to supermax him out? I agree with the decision. Someone who deserves a max is someone who can lead and take the team on his shoulders to playoffs. Money is ridiculous. Boston will be a good fit, but will he be a game changer for them?? No sure.
BTW the super max was because he got 3rd all NBA. Some may say that was a stretch considering Klay missed out. $30m more for that 5th year.
The problem is, MJ now has a basket case because he wont pay. But if someone top tier want to come, Im sure it he would. Alas, I agree with decision not to offer contract.

Reply #748807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Kemba has not taken the team to the playoffs. And you want to supermax him out? I agree with the decision. Someone who deserves a max is someone who can lead and take the team on his shoulders to playoffs."

He has made the play-offs before and when they've missed out, it hasn't been by much. I think that's a good effort, when you consider how woeful the rest of that roster is. I mean, just look at it.

It is not that Kemba wasn't worth a maximum, it was that they locked so much money away on mediocre players that there was only so far he could take them.

Reply #748810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If Kemba does indeed sign, there is some suggestion the Celtics are the team Houston has a deal with to offload Capela."

That would be nice, I wonder what the Celtics would have to give up. Perhaps something from their stash of draft pick assets.

Reply #748811 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

""If Kemba does indeed sign, there is some suggestion the Celtics are the team Houston has a deal with to offload Capela."

That would be nice, I wonder what the Celtics would have to give up. Perhaps something from their stash of draft pick assets."

My thought was that the Memphis pick Boston holds would be an attractive asset for Houston in trade for Capela. But it would have to involve another team, because Houston wouldn't be able to take any salary back and Boston is over the cap.

I don't think Philadelphia will do this unless Butler refuses to sign with them, but they could sign and trade Butler for Capela and Gordon, then flip Capela to Boston for Smart and the Memphis pick. But I don't think Boston would give up both Smart AND such a valuable pick to a division rival. Bit of a high risk, because if that pick doesn't convey next season, its unprotected in 2021!

Reply #748816 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Lebron James couldn't even take the lakers with a decent squad to the playoffs, yet you criticise kemba not doing with the duds in Charlotte? Strange

Small teams like Charlotte need to pay the max to keep players. Add to the fact that kemba wanted to stay. Another terrible move by Jordan. Has to be the worst owner in the league with Dolan.

Reply #748821 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

As much as I loved him as a player Jordan has been terrible as an executive/owner with the Hornets & Wizards before that.

Reply #748822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can kind of understand Charlotte not paying kemba, because they've already locked themselves into so many other bad contracts that even if they brought him back they're a low playoff seed at best.

The criticism would be that you could've foreseen this last year and so you should've traded him to someone for some young players or draft picks to help rebuild.

Reply #748848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Durant, Irving and Deandre Jordan all to Brooklyn Nets.

New York will suck again.

Reply #748860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

has Ingles lost his starting job?

Reply #748864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Al Horford signs with the 76ers LOL

Emblid
Horford
Harris
Richardson
Simmons

Reply #748865 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Butler to Miami in a sign and trade for J. Richardson?
And Horford looking to sign with the Sixers too?

Could have a nice starting 5 of Simmons, Richardson, Harris, Horford & Embiid

Reply #748867 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Charlotte is a basketcase, with MJ standing on top of that basket. Should have traded Kemba 12 months ago and started the reset and tank-a-thon then.

They have overpaid for Rozier and they also lost Jeremy Lamb to the Pacers. Charlotte's roster doesn't have one person that would be a starter on a playoff team, not one. This roster is going to compete for the worst record in NBA history.

While MJ is the GOAT, he's the shittest owner and has been for a while. He low-balled Kemba big time. He's up there with the Stirling, Dolan and Sarver in terms of terrible owners.

Reply #748873 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

*($# you MJ...

Story getting around is that Kemba was open to a discount, hell, he played the last few seasons on a discount. He wanted $175m over five. Hornets wouldn't budge from $160m over five. Charlotte lost an All-Star and All-NBA player for $3 million a season over five.

Reply #748874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D'Angelo Russell apparently to the Warriors in a sign and trade with Iggy and picks being shipped out, really interesting move.

Reply #748885 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Really don't like that move by the Warriors. I get Iggy is like 35, but he's been the defensive powerhouse of that Warriors team, regularly matched up on the best perimeter player.

Russell had a good year but he's overrated at this point - doesn't get to the line (at a historically bad rate), midrange scorer... just feels very un Warriors-like. I think they are desperate to not waste a year of Curry (which I understand), and they've slipped up a little here. Better off letting Durant walk I think, because they'll be looking to move Russell within 12 months.

No idea what the Hornets are doing, or to a lesser extent the Magic. Also two out of LAC/Toronto/LAL are really going to be hamstrung waiting for the Kawhi decision while everyone else signs.

Reply #748889 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

What are the Knicks doing. Portis, Randle, Taj... 3 guys who play the same position. Randle I think is a good signing for the $$$ involved, but he's not going to make the fans forget about Portzingis, especially with Dennis Smith Jr still on the roster bricking jumpers and making uncontrolled drives into traffic.

Reply #748890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Deng Adel staying in the NBA or coming home

Reply #748905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AngusH my read of the Warriors taking Russell was that it isn't so much about wasting a year of Curry as trying to make sure he has enough help to preserve him. Without more insight into the team's process, can't be sure. But I was initially really disappointed to see Iguodala moving on, then remembered that they're not contenders this season anyway, and 24 months from now the poor dude might have no legs at all. I'm not a fan of Russell and think they've bought high, but he fits their mould in terms of size and playmaking. If we think of him as Livingston's replacement rather than Durant's, he's expensive but not crazy. Otherwise Curry runs himself into the ground this year just trying to keep them afloat. Russell gives you good coverage to do a better job of managing Steph and Klay in 2020-21. They probably feel that between Klay and Draymond, they can cover defensively for the loss of Iggy, as long as Looney or Jones can develop enough. Might also be banking that they don't have to worry about Lebron anymore and Klay can manage Kawhi.

Reply #748984 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Kawhi is killing me. Just need a decision.

If the Raps do miss out, where do they go?

Is it worth taking a punt on taking on Wiggins' contract? Sure its a massive amount of $$$ for someone who doesn't necessarily help you win. But he is young enough so that there is still a chance he turns it around. Plus with a championship supporting cast and player dev coaches like Phil Handy around, he'd never have a better chance to reach that potential.

I can't see the Wolves asking too much at this point. As long as they don't give up Siakam, OG or FVV I reckon its worth a punt

Reply #749051 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:57 am, Sun 21 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754