Isaac
Years ago

Kawhi’s destination

Options appear to be Lakers, Clippers and Raptors. Where do you think he'll sign and where do you hope he’ll sign.

Topic #45420 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

I hope he stays in Toronto, but I think he'll sign with the Lakers. I don't think it makes them a lock for a title though - not a ton of guys left for them to pad the roster with. Huge injury risk and if even one of the big 3 goes down it will probably be ugly.

Reply #749058 | Report this post

Agent Oso  
Years ago

Perth Bandits!

Reply #749059 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I'm obviously hoping Raptors. I think a 1+1 would be a great deal for both parties. Run it back in a wide open NBA 2019-20.

My gut says he's going, which I will be dissappointed with but understanding - he said it before he even got to the Raptors so he would simply be doing what he says he is. I just hope if he does go, its the Clippers and not the Lakers. Clippers would be a great fit and spread some of super stars around. We finally look like having a season with no "super teams".

Reply #749060 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Cram why would he want to stay in Toronto? Guy has won 2 championships now so he would be looking for comfort being closer to family and friends. Also I think he would be keen to be part of a legacy with future HOF team mates.

Reply #749061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he has already ruled the Clippers out so its down to the Lakers and Toronto.

Reply #749063 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Did you miss the bit about me saying I think he'll go?

The chance he stays in Toronto is small, but there are some reasons: Proven championship supporting cast and familiarity being among them. Also, if he signs a short term deal this summer, he'll be eligible for a huge deal in 2 years time when the cap is expected to spike again.

Reply #749064 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I would be happy if he stayed in Toronto even on a 1+1 deal.

Reply #749066 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Clippers might have missed there chance.

Should have just traded for him when they had the chance instead they played the long game which after lots of moving and shaking has really left them as the odd one out of the three teams still chasing Kwahi.

Reply #749070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Cram why would he want to stay in Toronto? Guy has won 2 championships now so he would be looking for comfort being closer to family and friends. Also I think he would be keen to be part of a legacy with future HOF team mates."

That's 100% your opinion and holds no more weight that what Cram or others have said.

Reply #749075 | Report this post

robt.  
Years ago

For mine, I want a super team @ Lakers. My intro to pro ball was in the days of Magic vs Bird, around their second season. Got me hooked. I went with Magic. Stll do. So Kawhi at Lakers is good for my memories. But in reality, the other reasoning to stay is also good.

Cram referred to him signing a short term contract with Raptors, then negotiating for real big deal after that. Have heard this a few times. Can he not do same from/at Lakers. Also makes sense. Then Kawhi knows if he wants to stay or not. If not, his CV reads "...took Raptors to Ch'ip, then did the same at Lakers."

Reply #749088 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I think the general thinking about him taking a short term deal at the Raps rather than the Lakers or Clippers is that the Raptors are a team built to win now, so going one more year or two more years then opting out at the Raps before getting that big pay day makes the most sense. Where as it'll probably take the Lakers a couple of off seasons to put a decent enough supporting cast around that "big 3".

That's the logic. I'm not saying its unquestionable but I think a team that has just won probably has a better chance than a team of three recently injured stars and spare parts in the immediate term.

Reply #749090 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

I'm hoping he stays at Toronto, but got a feeling he is Lakers bound... seems these days you need at least 1 super team in the NBA to create less of an interest for us fans. Just when the Warriors fall over another team will pop up with 3 superstars.

Reply #749091 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I think it'd be different from the Warriors. That team had superstars and a proven supporting cast. The Lakers would be fitting in low cost vets around their 3.

One post I saw calling them the "all load management team" I thought was rather appropriate. You may see the three of them only play together half the games next season given their recent histories. That would keep them fresh for the playoffs, but would it give them enough time to gel?

Its more akin to the Heat in 2010 than the Warriors in 2016.

Having said that, I'd still prefer to see more teams battle it out next season. If Kawhi chooses the Clippers or Raptors I think there are at least 10 teams that would genuinely believe they can when. When has that happened?

Reply #749092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He should stay at Raptors. Back to back

Reply #749109 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

I wanted him to return to the Raptors, with a team well-constructed around him, but the narrative for the Laker Show is too much to ignore. Veterans will want to chase championships, unproven young guys will cut the cash to sign on and there's of course the buyout market to fill the backcourt. To start with - it could look like this:

AD | McGee | Frye
LeBron | Kuzma
Kawhi | Dudley
Shumpert | Daniels
McConnell (Room Exc) | Rondo

Reply #749122 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Hopefully not to Lakers.

Reply #749131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon Lakers.
Hopefully Lakers I'm a huge fan.

Reply #749132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As long as the dismal Clippers don't get him. As a Laker fan, there’s part of me that worries the Clippers have got him but are waiting till all the decent Free Agents are taken till they release the info so the Lakers miss out.

He’s definitely going to a team in LA. For the first time in his career he has the opportunity to choose where his destiny lies and he’s West Coast homie

Reply #749136 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Anyone who claims to KNOW what Kawhi will do is kidding themselves. You can have your opinion on what he should do, or what you think he thinks is best for him. But until he announces, nobody knows.

Reply #749202 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

WoJ is saying we should be finding out tomorrow, and that teams are told not to leak any information about the meetings.

Reply #749228 | Report this post

Lakersworld  
Years ago

Come to LA Lakers

Reply #749229 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Jalen Rose is saying 99% of what he's hearing is that Kawhi will re-sign with Toronto on a 1+1 year deal.

Reply #749231 | Report this post

Lakersworld  
Years ago

Let's hope Jalen is wrong Zodiac but wouldn't blame him for trying back to back and joining Anthony Davis in 2020 free agent market.

Reply #749238 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Heres hoping Jalen Rose is right, love to see Toronto try for a back to back.

Reply #749260 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:38 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754