STHEaster
Years ago

Rate South East Melb Phoenix Launch so far

We've had the announcement of the second melb license, we’ve seen most of the roster signed and we are fast approaching the regular NBL season with membership on sale. How would you rate the launch and hype surrounding the Phoenix?

Have they done enough to start to build a following and fill seats at Hisense arena?

Personally, signed up and can’t wait to go but I’m surprised at how low key it is. Perhaps they’ve got marketing money planned for closer to the season but it seems lower key than the Dragons when they launched and when the Bullets returned.

Keen to hear everyone’s thoughts.

Topic #45426 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another Kestleman Team. Fronted by an "owner" who has been seen once in Australia. Press about them is nothing. ON a scale of 1 - 10. 2.

Reply #749159 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

They probably can't promise / show much because Creek may not be in which changes everything for them.

Reply #749164 | Report this post

Scopes44  
Years ago

More kestleman haters.
For those in the south east region. They have been out and about with kid clinics and camps.
I get regulsr emails and updates. Which highlights to those interested whats happening.
Im not sure how much oeople expect.
As for Melb Utd. Ve seen exactly zero about the team.
Owners dont need to be seen or heard when it comes to NBL.

Reply #749168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So where is the Phoenix "owner" mate? He's been seen once ffs.

Reply #749185 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

I like the idea of two Melbourne teams but after watching the NBL for over 25 years, I'm not sold on the Phoenix surviving long term (hope I'm wrong).

They need to get to as many schools and basketball associations as possible.

I'm tipping crowds of around 5,000 per home game for their first season

Reply #749192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SEM should plan as if Creek won't be there. He's inadvertently (and I'm sure unintentionally) holding them hostage. Their roster is already a bit of a worry. 8 players: 4 unproven players at NBL level. 2 old guards, Creek and Tai Wesley.

Reply #749197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3/10 the southern huskies and dd tas are getting more hype ATM

Reply #749198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

# 185

I didn't realise you wanted to watch the owner, I thought people went to watch basketball. Most the well performing premier league clubs are owned by arabs and Russians there not prancing around for people to look at.
Some people got get a life and stop being so negative, hopefully it works out well for two teams in Melbourne.

Reply #749204 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

They would go close to winning the NBL1 with the current roster.

Reply #749218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Winning the underwhelming NBL1 competition is hardly an achievement.
Seabl was a far stronger competition.

Reply #749222 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Say what you will, LK is no idiot.
He will have made sure that the ownership group is in it for the long term. It will take time.
It's great that there are people in the SEM corridor prepared to give them a go immediately, but building a big following will take time.

And yes, they will need to wok their schools and community clinics, long-term, to grow organic support. That is a much better option than trying to do it all at once with a big flash.

And yeah, why do you want to see the owner?
Frankly, I'd take a absent foreign owner with deep pockets, over some of the dickhead local owners we've had. Last thing we want is a repeat of the Dragons debacle.

You also have to remember that they still don't have their IP locked in, so that might be slowing down some of their advertising.
(Personally I can't see how its going to work, but presumably they have advice from those far more knowledgable that I. My one unit of IP law was a LONG time ago.)

Reply #749298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking forward to a change in coach. Simon Mitchell is not the answer.

Reply #749299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahh yes the ownership group. You do know it's Kestleman don't you? You do know that the Dragon's owner walked because of the mismanagement by the NBL caused them to withdraw?
"Personally I can't see how its going to work, .." The truest thing you have ever ever said, beacuse you "Really Don't Know JACK." That would be a great name for a game ;)

Reply #749306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a signed up member and can't wait to get behind them. I'm also realistic that it's going to take time for them to build something and am willing to be patient. That being said, I am a little concerned about their roster currently. If Creek doesn't play then we are very thin! Hoping they snag a couple of very strong imports at Summer League because we need them. I'd even be happy with Lamar Patterson if he signed. Either way, I'm hoping not to receive many more emails from SEM with Kyle Adnam as the face of the franchise. He's a handy backup but we he'll be going against some super talent.

Reply #749347 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

This team is a sure fire contender in NBL1 but this roster can't compete in the NBL.

They need to hit big time on the import spots left or this is going to be a dumpster fire!

Hopefully Madgen is motiviated and not past it otherwise him with the corpse of Gibbo could be massive holes in this roster.

The younger guys Adnam/Pineau/Acouth/Stephens who at best are 10th guys on a contender will need to actual play minutes which is a worry.

Reply #749351 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

The younger guys Adnam/Pineau/Acouth/Stephens who at best are 10th guys on a contender will need to actual play minutes which is a worry.

Building your local core is always going to be the challenge. It takes time to really get it to gel anyway, plus there are never that many quality free agents around, so the process can take several years.
They have done well signing Creek (assuming he plays) and Madgen. If they can get Wesley naturalised that will be a good start.

Reply #749389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz please just stfu. Don't comment about stuff you don't know about at all.
WE all know Creek may play ffs. Madgen can play and I am sure he can play. Get over it and just comment with something to contribute to a topic.

Reply #749462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a open forum, people are allowed to comment, you don’t have to agree .

Reply #749464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes 100%. I don't agree. So tired of seeing so many idiots here. The current crop here make DDfan look smart.

Reply #749471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So they have launched?

Reply #749480 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Are we expecting United to act like the spoilt child that doesn't want to share and that is how they will build a rivalry or are we wanting Phoenix to berate United over something and build the rivalry that way.

If Phoenix do get 5000/game is that brand new fans or old United fans or old NBL fans that lost their team?

Reply #749493 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

Poor GM, underwhelming coach, mediocre branding, top-heavy roster.

Reply #749518 | Report this post

STHEaster  
Years ago

@proud

For me, I've signed up and I was lost after the Titans/Giants/Dragons folded and couldn’t support United/Tigers. Suspect I might be in the minority.

Considering the cash and professionalism that LK has I’m personally surprised it has been a pretty underwhelming launch. It all feels very "safe". Roster is okay, communication from the club is okay, no real hype behind the launch, the Branding is okay.

I’m a member and want to see them succeed and think that there is the appetite for a 2nd Melbourne side but I am surprised they haven’t made more of a splash. A lot of my friends didn’t know there was even a 2nd team being introduced. Will need to be more than the odd social post, rehash of Mitch Creek highlights and community clinics to make this work....

Reply #749559 | Report this post

dazzwerld  
Years ago

LOL at all the keyboard warriors taking shots at D2.0. WTF have you ever contributed. At least he makes some interesting points around their Intellectual Property rights besides the usual "they is crap" rubbish.
Should be a new rule unless you're prepared to use a name and stick with it don't attack other posters you gutless wankers.

Reply #749568 | Report this post

Clippersworld  
Years ago

^ Cheers Dazz.
Nice work writing in the third person too.

Reply #749610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dragons never folded. They simply didn't want to work under the restrictive NBL as it was them. I am sure they will do with with Larry owning his 5th team in his own competition.
Stheaster sumis it up.
SFA in the community "but I am surprised they haven't made more of a splash. A lot of my friends didn’t know there was even a 2nd team being introduced. Will need to be more than the odd social post, rehash of Mitch Creek highlights and community clinics to make this work...."

Dazzwerld with his 1st post. YAY. Clearly should be taken seriously. Said no one ever.

Reply #749688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^
English please

Reply #749693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Contribute or stfu.

Reply #749709 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:09 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754