yogee
Years ago

Funny Fellas douse Fire

Adelaide Fellas last night defeated the Townsville Fire 93-84.

Jenni Screen had 26 points, with assistance from Phillips, new recruit Tami Willey and Laura Summerton.

Rohanee Cox had 24 for the visitors, Claudia Brassard retaining her excellent form from last season, and Rachel Flanagan actually remembered in the second half that basketball is more than just running up and down a court.

Willey was impressive in her Fellas debut, and will be a very good addition, presumably coming off the bench for Summerton. Willey started last night, and probably will for a couple more weeks yet while Laura gets over her USA stint.

Phillips seemed to be very quiet, and her stat line is surprising for the way she played.

Screen was her usual brilliant self, nailing some big 3's. Willey also nailed a heartbreaker 3 in the 3rd which put the Fellas back up to 19 ahead. The lead even in the fourth was as much as 22, but with coach Chris Lucas trying a few different playing combinations, sometimes the offensive wheels became a bit wobbly.

Deanne Ranford was good in her first game for Adelaide, but her and Erin Seward are going to battle hard for playing time. Based on last nights game, Seward will battle harder, she didn't have one of her best games.

Duke and Marsh both had limited opportunities, and would need to make more of the oppurtunities given to them.

Great to see the Adelaide Sheilas at the game supporting the girls (the Sheilas are a bunch of guys who sit right behind the bench, and are wearing some of the old body suits!!!! Was a great laugh, esepcially when they had their huddle and did the bouncy dance after the final siren)

Not a bad game for the season opener, and was a great sized crowd in, not many spare seats around the place.

Topic #4543 | Report this topic

what the  
Years ago

it is going to be a tight season in the wnbl - every win will count - no time during season to find form - they will have to win from game 1 to the finals

townsville is one of the teams that will be challenging for a top 4 spot

should we go to top 5 format?

Reply #52778 | Report this post

egalitarian  
Years ago

I notice the Sheilahs were wearing shorts over the body suits. Is this because they did not want the Shirvington look, or that they were unable to look as prominent as Shirvo?

Reply #52780 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I think a couple of them did go the whole body suit, I think those wearing shorts just wimped out :)

But still great to see so much suport for womens basketball last night. So much for the Fellas name scaring off spectators.

Reply #52784 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Fellas shot better from outside than from the free throw line - funny stuff.

Thanks for the write-up Yogee.

Reply #52786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was at the game last night and was delighted to see the girls first win of the season. However, I was disappointed to see Ranford come off and throw the towel at the end of the bench, possibly due to lack of court time. Not a very good attitude and not great for the kids to see!!

Reply #52793 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I thought the uniforms looked great. I prefer shorts & singlet to the body suit, however the girls did not look comfortable in them. They were continuously pulling up the legs of the shorts. They are not used to being covered that far down the legs and especially not in something flowing. Its something that they will get used to.

Jenni Screen was fantastic last night with so many 3's and made for an exciting game. It was a great win and hope they can continue in this good form throughout the season.

Reply #52795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how could the girls not be used to wearing shorts and singlets when in the ABA that is what they wear

Reply #52797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EC,

I can't believe you actually liked Adelaide's uniform. The design and colour concept were hideous.

On the other side I was impressed with the Townsville uniforms.

I have nothing against going back to shorts and singlets but I don't see how the design of the Adelaide uniform is going to sell to to general public. I know the kids I spoek to at the game were definately not interested in buying a singlet for themselves.

Reply #52798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's Not SA Colours. It's NSW the Two Blues or Sturt's. What happen to Blue, Yellow and Red?

Reply #52807 | Report this post

AJ  
Years ago

It wis the colours that Fellas Group wanted them to wear. The Sixers colours are Blue and White. What happaned to the red and yellow uniforms, they were much better than white.

Reply #52808 | Report this post

Katey  
Years ago

Great to see the fellas win but I dont think it was a big contest, and didnt show a lot.

It is very difficult for so many guards with very little court time to do anything spectacular. I dont think that Marsh did anything spectacular, for the amount6 of court time she got. Not one of her best games.

I did notICE AS well that she wasnt penalised for mistakes as were other players. That was very interesting!!!!! Very overrated. Makes me wonder!!!!

Reply #52847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nasty!!

Reply #52848 | Report this post

Katey  
Years ago

But very true!!!!

Reply #52849 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

Wasnt even a contest and doesnt show a lot I agree. Jenni Screen was very good but I dont think the new recruits have earned their mettle yet. I wasnt really impressed with Marsh either. Very soft. Should be interesting next week

Reply #52850 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Marsh was quiet. Jonno I dont know how you can say none of the new recruits haven't earned their mettle, Willey was probably 2nd or 3rd best player for the game.

Reply #52855 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

Sorry I agree with the exception of Willey. She did well. The other two were very quiet tho, and its gunna be interesting next week. Hopefully there will be no more towel throwing

Reply #52857 | Report this post

Bullshit Artist  
Years ago

Thanks Yogee great write up!

Reply #52871 | Report this post

MJ7  
Years ago

I belive Ranford threw the towel due to frustration at the small injury she got which caused her to be taken out of the game! Not the fact the she was taken out however.

I've been looking forward to Willey arriving for some time. Mackay absolutely loved her up there and she has a huge fan base up in the sundays!!! It was great to finally get to see her play after hearing so much about her from my mate who is in charge of massage and remedial therapy for the Mackay ABA side!!

I feel the colours of the uniforms are very Canberra-ish???

Reply #53021 | Report this post

jonno  
Years ago

I agree they are not good colours, very bland. I still dont think it looked good to throw a towel like that. However frustrating, it was not very professional for all of the children watching. Im sure many of them were getting frustrated but maintained their professionalism. Hope its not a sign of things to come.

Reply #53038 | Report this post

MJ7  
Years ago

Yeah I really don't mind it. I mean look at the swearing that comes out of LJ's mouth at every opportunity and she is a great role model!!! I think i'm just used to watching all the WNBA games where there are towels and bottles being thrown all over the place, hehe!

I understand what you are saying though!

Reply #53044 | Report this post

Atlas  
Years ago

Are you guys serious?

Ranford did not throw a towel in disgust, she threw it to the team manager after she used it.

The girls are great role models, they watch what they say, they willing sacrifice a proper warm down and stretch down to sign autographs and talk to the kids, and they make a concious effort to behave.

Almost every game someone has something to complain about. Last year one of the players unbuttoned the top of her bodysuit after the game and it was a SCANDAL! She was advocating NUDITY obviously, and there was uproar!

The Fellas team is distinctly lacking in attitude problems, as has been the trend of the Lightning teams in the past. There are no big heads.

The family orientatedness of Wayville has come a long way from the days where Jan would berate players so the whole crowd could hear how they sucked.

So please lay off, its pretty tame compared to what you would see in Canberra or Sydney.

At times it can be a frustrating game, and whilst the girls endeavour to curb their emotions, its a part of the game, and sometimes can't be helped.

Besides, stuff like that is part of the drawcard that is Wayville compared to the Dome - because you can sit so close to the court it's a 'warts and all' view of the game, the players, and everything that goes with it.

So come along next home game, and I might scratch my bum on court, and then we would all have something to shout about!

Reply #53049 | Report this post

M  
Years ago

I think the players are in need of MORE attitude! :D This is basketball and if the kiddies don't like it they should really by watching a under 10's match although quite frankly sometimes the parents behaviour would challenge the diva antics of Lisa Leslie! haha!

Reply #53050 | Report this post

What can we say? Except see you all at the next home game. Free Beers will be accepted and drunk with great appreciation.

If anyone wants to come sit next to us and help cheer on the team, your all welcome. (especially hot chicks.);)

Also we are all very approachable for autographs and signed photos, please just ask. hahaha.

As for the Shirvo look, for the girls to win they cant be distracted, so you know safety first.

Thanks everyone for the support.
The Adelaide Sheilas.

Reply #53211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They should have kept lighting in the name it has the history, of SA and the team. The also should have kept the state colours.

Reply #53515 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:41 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754