master
Years ago

ANY NBA TALENT IN AUS?

I don't see any clear cut NBA currently in AUS, not that they are not there but...they will need four years in college etc too get there.

Topic #45441 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hard to say 'clear cut NBA talent' because it's hard to project out multiple years - even in the US there is massive fluctuation between HS rankings and how NBA drafts pan out.

As far as I can tell, the list is simply -

Mojave King
Tamuri Wigness
Sam Froling

And maybe Luke Travers?

All depends on how they develop the next few years physically and skill-set wise though.

Also Wani Swaka Lo Buluk didn't have much of a part to play in the U19 run but he's going pretty decent size/physical tools that could help him develop in to a potential NBA prospect?

Seems like the big names are already in the US - Makur and Green, basically.

Stone seems like a good prospect, given his ranking it would seem more of a fringe NBA prospect though?

I'm not too familiar with the lesser known guys, Marial Mading is a name I've seen mentioned, again, only a 3*, but really big/long and seems to have an intriguing skill-set.

Reply #749394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Froling looking like qbl player in Southland at present, I don't see it.

Reply #749408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dunno, Froling had an excellent U19's, as expected. Great passer, versatile offensive threat, shot looks solid.

Needs to bulk up and improve his defense but smart bigs go a long way.

Reply #749415 | Report this post

Lakersworld  
Years ago

Many in Adelaide would say Harry Froling.

Reply #749417 | Report this post

master  
Years ago

Froling athletic enough?

Reply #749420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^
No lack speed could hurt as well.

Reply #749422 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

A couple of players worry me at the moment.

Kody Stattmann was one of the most young lethal shooters we have ever produced.
A year training with Virginia. I thought he would have a break out World Championship but he really struggled. Couldn't get a trey to drop, he shot it at 21%.

I thought Kody could develop into a Broekhoff type but with him struggling with his shooting, I'm beginning to doubt the guy. Luckily he has time on his side.

Harry Froling I thought had a chance at the NBA but I'm beginning to doubt him too.

He apparently got super fit but I see no difference at all watching him playing for the Huskies. He really lacks athleticism. Not shooting or defending all that great. I hope we don't look back at him in a few years and remember him as a big, fumbling, overhyped Ben Allen

Reply #749427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His game tonight for huskies was ordinary to be nice, maybe didn't want to be there. He has talent but he’ll have to work very hard to get to the nba other than just talk about it. He’s got stop listening to people telling him how good he is, because they just holding him back because he believes it.

Reply #749428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sam is better than Harry. If there's a Froling who's an NBA prospect it's the younger one.

Reply #749437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Giddey has the most potential. Potentially a 6'8 cg in the future with great vision, fantastic passer, above average handles and also has the ability to get to the rim.
Needs to work on his body and athleticism the most and his perimeter shooting.

Reply #749438 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

I think Giddey has the most potential. Potentially a 6'8 cg in the future with great vision, fantastic passer, above average handles and also has the ability to get to the rim.
Needs to work on his body and athleticism the most and his perimeter shooting.

I agree with everything you have said. I wish there was a way of keeping up with young prospects heights.

He is listed as 6'6 at 16 years old (turns 17 in October). So he could grow taller but he may not.

I think he is a good defender, with good instincts but sometimes he is a bit lazy on that side of the floor.

Obviously needs to hit the weight room, not because he is skinny but he needs to get a lot stronger (which with work, will come with age).

His drive is awesome and I would like to see, in time, he also develop a diverse drive and dish game.

Athleticism is ok but I think he needs to keep himself super fit to improve that area

Reply #749450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

+1 for Josh Giddey. he is a legit 6-8 PG, but like you said he needs to continue to work on his body and athleticism. He is already deadly from the perimeter, as SA Metro can attest to. A genuine X-factor.

Reply #749451 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Show me anywhere that proves he is 6'8?

Reply #749452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's not 6’8 atm, he’s just about 199cm. At 18-19y.o he’s likely to be 6’7-6’8. 203cm is 6’8.

Reply #749455 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

We hope so but some people stop growing at an earlier age

Reply #749457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How tall is his dad?

Reply #749458 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

6'5

Reply #749465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Froling's performance tonight was disappointing. Potentially NBA? NO way based on tonight's performance.

Reply #749468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless his mums 5'11 or taller, unlikely he’ll grow to 6’8.

Reply #749470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Dyson Daniels (16) has a lot of potential. He is around 6'6 and has a high basketball IQ, a decent 3 ball and can get to the rim at will. He is also a great defender, with great length and athleticism. Watched him play a couple of NBL1 Games and he has shown that he is very calm and patient and can hold his own on defence.

Reply #749521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daniels is only 6'3 atm.

Reply #749527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Alex Mudronja in 3 years!!

Reply #749576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not Aus. based but anyone know much about Marial Mading?

Reply #749605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Parents heights aren't a guaranteed guide of kids height.

Cal Bruton only 5-9 yet CJ is 6-2.
Mike Ellis 6-0 yet Cody is 6-8.
Warrick Giddey 6-5 yet Josh is 6-8.
Shane Froling 6-6 yet Shane and Harry both 6-10+.

Reply #825770 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:53 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754