Apparently Perth were invited but declined

Reply #749977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd like to see the kings go over

Reply #749979 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Would be cool, but nah. If any of our teams get belted around, it's not an ideal look for a league positioning itself as a viable alternative to G League et al.

Reply #749981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great idea, though some players would not be available, and rosters not completed.

Reply #749983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rather than send the nbl team to china would be far better in my view to send them summer league.

Reply #750009 | Report this post

robt.  
Years ago

How about a 2nd tier Boomers team, like the teams that played our qualifiers throughout Asia.

As stated above, most NBL rosters not yet complete and certainly haven't got together as a team. If you entered as a team (NBL) you would virtually be starting your off-season training (as an NBL team) in the Summer League? That would be suicide!

Most of these players are not yet in training with their respective NBL teams, and probably playing in an off-season gig in Europe or a state league. Would be great to add the option of a Summer League team of emerging/2nd tier Boomers.

With China and Croatia already showing off how good or bad they are, we already know that our 2nd tier can beat China, so we would, at least, be competitve in the league. Are both China & Croatia national teams or teams from their national leagues?

The NBA are already well aware of Aussie players at the very top. Imagine the impact if we were able to show that apart from our "super stars" we also have so many that are so near to that quality, it will surely increase the positive vibes for the NBL and Oz b/ball. It re-inforces what we are already trying to do. Getting U.S. draftees etc to the NBL for development.

It would certainly help with future Boomer selections too. And, the age-old arguement that our national teams don't spend training time together etc., would be out the window.

What you say/think?

Lastly, would vastly increase our presence in and around the NBA. Our off-court personel would also be learning and honing their skills, not to mention the networking that that would happen over a Summer League season.

Reply #750011 | Report this post

robt.  
Years ago

Anon 009, your brevity is to be comended.

Reply #750012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Robt
Sounds good
Like a reverse next stars

Reply #750014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the average NBL team would be pretty competitive at Summer League. I read that the Cavs have only one player on their SL roster with professional experience. Most SL guys are not going to make an NBA roster. 'Proven' NBA guys, which for SL purposes is usually a sophomore who had a solid rookie campaign, tend to sit it out. So most teams have 1-2 guys of first-round pick standard and we know from Ferguson that plenty first round pick guys aren't going to tear up NBL teams. I wouldn't see the fact that they haven't started training as an issue as most SL teams are assembled weeks if not days beforehand and pretty rudimentary in their ability to play together. The fact that NBL rosters aren't even finalised would probably be a bigger challenge.

A Boomers 'B' side or u25 team or something is a nice idea, but we would often struggle to get enough of those guys available. Someone like a Landale would be an obvious candidate for a team like that, but in pursuing NBA opportunities, is he better off playing SL with a Boomers squad, or for an NBA team? I don't know if current college players would be able to participate and maintain their eligibility, either, which would further shrink the pool. That's fine, you could send an NBL all-star team, but that isn't really going to benefit the Boomers. An NBL all-star team is probably too good for SL, anyway. Veteran pros are going to be at a massive advantage against the youth on most of those rosters.

Reply #750017 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

As above, if five or so of the best players in the 'Australia B team' are actually on summer league rosters then that defeats the purpose. A genuine NBL All Star team would be better.

Only problem is, do NBL clubs actually want their players more likely to be picked up by NBA teams so late in the process of finalising their roster? If Josh Boone has a good handful of games and gets a two way contract would the Hawks regret giving him the opportunity to play there in the first place?

Reply #750024 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Considering the recent NBL tour of China is the same Chinese team getting flogged in summer league, let's not embarrass ourselves. It’s our players rest and recover time. Let them use it.

Reply #750026 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

What would it cost to run an Australian team (be it Boomers B or NBL All Stars or NBL club) in the NBA Summer League for a season?

Reply #750027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't want to risk embarrassment like China. Sending over an NBL team feels like a bit of an unknown might be ok might not, and you don't want to half ass it with some C grade boomers side or D grade NBL select squad like the china tou where people think thats a representation of the best we have to offer.

I'd like to see some sort of legit NBL select squad participate though. Sending invites to a mix of guns/youngsters and imports/locals that have played NBL in the last 24 months who would be the kinds of players NBA teams would look at or be interested in.

Hypothetically a team we could have sent over: (obviously some if these have signed on other summer league teams, and I've probably missed a couple of names)

Ware/Trimble
Cotton/Sobey/Grida
Creek/Bowen/Delany
Kay/Froling
Long/Humphries

Reply #750032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

China defeated the hornets 84 to 80

Reply #750034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It doesn't have to be just young Australia development players. The NBL boomers could trial potential undrafted players or unsigned NBA fringe players on ten day contacts looking to get a NBL gig. That’s why all the NBL teams are at the summer league right now. To find new players for the NBL. NBL boomers could also put a few next stars on the bench.

Reply #750035 | Report this post

robt.  
Years ago

Thanks for the interest.

Not too keen on inclusion of American-Americans. Aussie-Americans are ok. I see this as an Aussie promo for Aussies playing the game (no apologies).

Reply #750090 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Found some info re team costs. Would probably be $120,000-$140,000, depending on team size and support staff. Apparently players get per diems so presumably the coaches and support staff get something similar.

That amount seems manageable for NBL. e.g., a bit more than one Next Star salary for NBL.

Reply #750101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not too keen on inclusion of American-Americans. Aussie-Americans are ok. I see this as an Aussie promo for Aussies playing the game (no apologies).

How do you feel about American-Aussies?

The summer league teams are made up of between 14 to 19 players we don't have enough young Aussie talent for that .
But it makes sense to test out young American talent looking at playing in the NBL and NBA plus have best young aus and nz talent on display to help them get to the g league and NBA. The next stars can also start the professional journey on the bench. All the NBL teams can send their couches to play a part in the NBL boomers team. A lot of money could be made for the NBL at the summer league

Reply #750147 | Report this post

robt.  
Years ago

"How do you feel about American-Aussies?" Not sure what I meant, now! I think that I mean eligible to rep Aust.

Reply #750168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think the Croatian national team are playing, it's a team from Croatia.

Reply #750194 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:09 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754