Anonymous
Years ago

Hawks line up complete

The Illawarra Hawks full line up for the 2019/20 season now includes championship winner David Andersen as well as Boomers sharp-shooter Todd Blanchfield, NBA star Aaron Brooks, elite centre Josh Boone, Hawks veterans Tim Coenraad and AJ Ogilvy, young Boomers' stars Daniel Grida and Emmett Naar, local rising star Angus Glover and young guns Sunday Dech, Sam Froling and LaMelo Ball.

Topic #45498 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andersen will also be reuniting with former NBA teammate Aaron Brooks: "I played with Aaron back with the Houston Rockets, his range and ability to score from anywhere will make him a real danger in the NBL."

This could be fun

Reply #750610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From NBL facts

The
@illawarrahawks
are the first team in
@NBL
history to have three players with at least 100
@NBA
games of experience on the same roster.

685 Aaron Brooks
268 Josh Boone
103 Dave Andersen

Reply #750619 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Does anyone else think they might actually be a contender? That's a solid and deep team..

Reply #750620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The best team on paper so far

Reply #750622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An import spot up their sleeve too.

Reply #750624 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

They're really slow around the four spot - Andersen will be great for Frolings development and will be great in the pick'n'pop with Brooks but I think they're gonna get killed on D.

Reply #750638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Illawarra by how far, daylight next.

Reply #750643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think this roster is heavily dependant on how Boone performs. If he is as good as he has been with united that makes them legit. If he continues to slip then they are in trouble. There is also a worry that they only have 1 elite offensive creator (provided Brooks is even that anymore at his age).

They really ovr achieved last year with Bevo and you have to hope the new coach can get the same out of the group.

Reply #750652 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Boone/Andersen
Coenraad/Froling
Blanchfield/Grida
Brooks/Dech/Glover
Naar/Ball

I lot of ifs with this roster. They don't seem well-balanced, and could be weak on the boards and defending on-balls. They have some good floor spreaders though and some real offensive talent, could rack up some scores.

Reply #750655 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

I think people are forgetting how well Coenraad played in the 4 last year too.

Throw in that fact the Naar now has more offensive spot shooters to complement his passing (& team pic & rolls) & there's another upgrade on last year.

Last year we were also a little light defending other teams' bigs, so we certainly upped the anti there & 'should' be a fair force on the glass now too.

Reply #750656 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Well,where did the money come from compared to years just past.
Funny how money is spent when FLYNN TAKES OVER FROM Bevo and who is the GM.

Money was apparently owed last couple years to players and staff.

Reply #750658 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Add Ogilvy to that line up. Slide Anderson to the 4. Not so weak on the boards.

Reply #750660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks should be ok defensively and have some real fire power. By the looks the hawks will make it rain

Reply #750664 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah, forgot about AJ. So should be ok on the boards, not good in terms of defending on-balls. Will be an interesting team to see how they evolve.

Reply #750671 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Yeah, with Ball its now a 12-man roster.

" lot of ifs with this roster"

True, but I think that is the lot of a team like the Hawks. They have to take a few gamble to compete with the big budgets.

"They don't seem well-balanced"

They are ridiculously top-heavy with 4 centres. Be interesting to see how Flynn plans to use that. Could be a great innovation, or an awful flop.

"I think people are forgetting how well Coenraad played in the 4 last year too"

Coenraad lays the 4, because he is too old and slow to play 3 in the modern game.

I wonder if they will become the target of calls for a 3rd import?

Reply #750673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty fun looking roster on paper. Nice mix of young guys and solid vets. Hard to say where they'll finish but they'll at least be fun to watch and track the progressof as a neutral. I've gotta hand it to the Hawks, Pretty much an A+ offseason for them imo as a smaller market. Cairns should have followed a similar model.

Reply #750674 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Ball, Grida and Naar give this team plenty of upside. I'm intrigued to see how they go.

Can see that defending the 4 spot could be an issue.

Ultimately, if they want to be a genuine championship contender then they'll need Brooks to play at a high level, eg: Top handful of guards in the league and they'll need Boone to contribute at a similar level as he did last year for United.

I have my doubts on both counts- Brooks I doubt will be at an elite Casper/Trimble type level, and Boone is turning 35 and his game relies on declining power, athleticism and agility.

But you never know.

Reply #750686 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'm intrigued as to whom has the ball down the stretch, you'd imagine it would be Brooks but will Ball try and show he's got that in his game?
Blanchfield had some clutch moments last season but will he even get the ball?
Andersen has made more big shots than I've had hot dinners this year so surely he's an option too.

Agree about the 4 centres, I like the idea of having more bigs when it comes to foul trouble but 4 is more than excessive.

Weakest part of this squad appears to be the coach, but if I'm wrong then Illawarra are playoff bound!

Reply #750706 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Hard to judge without seeing Brooks. On paper this is a great team, but that's assuming Brooks is at a Cotton/Ware type of level. If he's just OK or out of shape, then I think this team could struggle to put points up unless Ball is better than I think he'll be given his age.

Reply #750716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Brooks is good then Illawarra can make the 4 - bet Dech is regretting going now looking at the roster

Reply #750723 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Unbalanced?

PGs - Brooks Naar Ball
SGs - Brooks Grida Glover
SFs - Blanchfield Grida Coenraad
PFs - AJ Ando Coenraad Froling
CS. - Boone AJ Ando Froling

I think that gives Flinny a lot of versatility & options, with depth to cover injury & a lot of guys with respectable 3pt shooting.

My only couple of Qs are-
Where does Dech fit in?
Do Naar & Ball play on court together at all?

Reply #750725 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Can see that defending the 4 spot could be an issue."

Yep, that and hence defending the ball-screen are the big question marks.

Reply #750727 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:23 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754