D2.0
Years ago

Wildcats Import Centre

IMHO a lot is required from this signing.

There could be marginal improvements from the bench, and I think WSLB adds an extra dimension, but this spot is their big opportunity to improve.
And I only say "improve" coming off a championship, because every other team will be looking to improve and knock them off.

I'm intrigued to see what kind of player they go for, especially given some of the names that were dropped. (I doubt we get any of the named players mentioned, but its interesting to see the type of player we might be considering.)

I'd be interested to see us go for a genuine big 7ft plus guy, but that doesn't seem to be Gleeson's style. More likely to be a solid biggish 4/5, who probably plays PF elsewhere but can handle the 5 spot in our league.
Or, perhaps a more athletic type??

Topic #45501 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brandon McCoy would be good 7FT

Reply #750679 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, I don't know what Gleeson's motives were the other day for downplaying the spot and just saying he wanted someone to set good screens and get some boards. I guess because quality bigs are rare and expensive so he knows he can't set the bar too high.
Angus was an import-calibre weapon in the middle. With his backup gone as well I don't think we want to be downgrading too much at that spot. The 5 spot will be what brings us back to the pack I think.

Reply #750680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay is smallish but can play minutes at the five. Perth got scorers, there five needs to board, play D and set big screens.

Reply #750684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats need a next star as well

Reply #750688 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Kay can't compete with Boone, Long, Bogut and he shouldn't have to, Cats need to get someone in this calibre at least height wise or we won't be going b2b that's for sure.

Reply #750696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about tacko fall?

Reply #750699 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Gleeson said something along the lines of over 7fters not doing too well in the NBL history wise, also think Tacko may make an NBA roster.

Reply #750700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think there going to sign Jefferson he was cut from Orlando Magic

Reply #750701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about tacky fall ?

Reply #750703 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

A good screener is paramount! Cotton, clint and terrico need to be freed up. We rely on o boards and second chance points too.

Reply #750705 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

It would be bloody terrific to not be bottom in the league for blocks this season so I'd love a Mickell Gladness type rim protector that changes shots.

Reply #750708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Kay can't compete with Boone, Long, Bogut"

He can and has.

Reply #750715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He can and has."

He can for short spurts in a game, but wildcats need a big unit who is a legit 7 footer to match the big guna centers in the league. Heck even guys like Pledger we struggled against at times last year.

Reply #750720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bottom of the league in blocks? Must be the secret sauce to being champions.

Reply #750721 | Report this post

Perfwerld  
Years ago

We had the exact player you are all clamouring for and now he's in Cairns after only a year back with us so safe to say Gleeson doesn't see a need for a big seven foot centre.

Reply #750724 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Jervis only returned to QLD for family reasons.
Plus he struggled for much of the season and was nowhere near starting quality, so its largely irrelevant to this conversation.

Yes, Kay can play some minutes at the 5, and inevitably injury and fouls will mean he does. But that also means the ageing Wagstaff or Vague playing more minutes.

We are the reigning champions, and an "ok" centre would keep us competitive. But everyone else is looking to improve, so we need to step it up a notch. Keep in mind that for all his weaknesses, Hire was a tough defender and good rebounder, so we will miss that.

I'd love to have somebody like Tacko, if only so he could reject a few of Bogut's shots. :-)

But I think the issue with guys over 7ft is that they can tend to be slow and uncoordinated (like Nevill) and if not are generally too good for our league.
Even Gladness, who people still rave about, was under 7'.

Reply #750728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They'll get a Jameel McKay type (hopefully better). Gleeson does't really do demanding big scorers. The most his offense allows is the odd post up for Kay. Rebound, block shots and play solid D will be the import 5's key requirements

Reply #750766 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Christian Wood was released by Pelicans today, wasn't he someone the Cats were linked to previously?

Reply #750796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, Wood will get picked up by a NBA team

Reply #750836 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"They'll get a Jameel McKay type (hopefully better). Gleeson does't really do demanding big scorers. The most his offense allows is the odd post up for Kay. Rebound, block shots and play solid D will be the import 5's key requirements"

I tend to agree with this, with the emphasis on better.

Reply #750853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brandt just signed in Italy, Pitsioa in there top division, good luck to him.

Reply #751102 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Brandt just signed in Italy, Pitsioa in there top division, good luck to him"

Well done.

Reply #751203 | Report this post

Eric Mika would be the perfect replacement for Brandt.

Reply #751280 | Report this post

Me  
Years ago

Unfortunately Perth won't be bringing in Amile Jefferson. After averaging a double double in the G league last season and performing well in Vegas SL Orlando have offered him a one year contract.

Reply #751364 | Report this post

Mark  
Years ago

Who are potential recruits ?
Any rumours

Reply #751442 | Report this post

Amile Jefferson.

Reply #751444 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Rumours flying thick and fast, but I currently don't put much stock in any of them.
Perhaps the most interesting is the contention that Wildcats are not 100% sold on an import being the answer and are in fact still in talks with Australian options. I say it's "interesting" but have no reason to think its any more accurate than others.

One name thrown around for an import is Kevin Hervey, but he's a PF and not overly tall (unless he has grown since his stats were published?)

Reply #751506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hi Dazz, what Aussie options other than Bairstow who I don't think is the right fit are available?

Reply #751507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Duop Reath is still a free agent

Reply #751512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Reath good enough to start?
Perhaps Reath plays 20mins, Majok 10-15 and Kay spends 5-10 there.

Reply #751513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like the idea of keeping 3rd import spot available.
Worked great last year:)

Reply #751514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reath probably not up to the standard of the imports that were under consideration.

Perth have publicly said they are using three imports this season and I woul dbe surprised if that were not the case.

Expect a fringe NBA PF/C who has missed out on a 2-way or has previously had one.

Reply #751518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thomas welsh ex two way with Denver ?

Reply #751573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Starting to get a bit concerned with how long its taking to get the right guy, don't want all the good players to get taken and have to choose feom the scraps.

Hopefully we still get a star player on not some average role player, otherwise on paper I'm not sure how well the roster can compete with the likes of Melb/Syd.

Reply #751584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne are stacked and Sydney looking ok but Perth always end up great. All sides looking strong with questions on Cairns and NZ.

Reply #751586 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Hmm, of the top of my head, I can only think of Bairstow, maybe Jawai. I thought Reath had signed a long-term contract in Serbia?

The guys who generally have a good inside line on the Cats aren't saying much, and the rest is just talk really.

Reply #751606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll play as well and make stuff up, what about Dwight Howard?

Reply #751609 | Report this post

Wooden Icecream  
Years ago

In terms of starting centre:
Brock Motum would've fit the bill perfectly imho (4-5) but money wise we prob can’t compete with Europe. Believe he just signed for 2 years recently.

Jawai is getting older, slower (if possible) & injuries might start to become a factor. Also a huge liability on D with the pick & roll.

Bairstow I’d be worried with his injury history.

The NBL is a guards league & big guys over 7" generally don’t work too well (Nevill). They need to be a bit more mobile, rebound well, can shoot, set a good pick, switch on D etc. Tacko Fall would be interesting viewing esp live as a member but I think this experiment would fail. Also suspect he’ll sign with a NBA roster.

Surprised we didn’t go for Josh Boone or maybe we did & he declined. A Jameel McKay type but doesn’t travel every time he gets the ball & generally a bit better all round. But you get what you pay for, McKay was cheap, same with Cooke Jnr. Spend a little extra & get someone slightly better. If it means going over the soft cap & paying some luxury tax then so be it - Melb & Syd would def be over.

In terms of the bench centre:
Jervis was cod ordinary last year (excluding the Grand Final match). Fouled way too much & not the same player he was the last time he was with us. Don’t think the Cats would’ve wanted him back this year.

Interested to see how Majok Majok goes. He’s been used sparingly the last few years. Believe we have had our eye on him for a while. Thinking we got him reasonably cheap given his seldom use & hopefully we can use him better than others.

Also losing Nielsen is a major blow with two new centres this year.

Oh and lastly had to laugh at who mentioned Pledger dominating Jervis or whoever last year. I agree Pledger is very good on the offensive end but he is the exact opposite on the defence side. That’s why he’s not a starter. Opposition coaches must love when he’s on the floor, pick & roll all day.

Reply #751658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^
Melbourne would be well over the cap, no doubt but Sydney big earners are Ware and Bogut, Lisch and Newley would be on reduced incomes and the balance of the team would not be on massive money, so I'd say there not over the cap.

Reply #751661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is the 19/20 cap?

Reply #751665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wooden Icecream, nice breakdown but I expect you are aiming a little high on offense. Expect the cats import centre to be the Jameel McKay type (hopefully much better though). Run the floor, set picks, rebound, dunk, block shots.

All other aspects of 4/5 offense is covered by Nick Kay. Gleesons runs a very 'know your role' type of offense. And its been very succeessful

Reply #751668 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

To be fair, at least 50% of Jameel's travels were not actually travels.

Reply #751731 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

McKay was good once he got settled.
But there were rumours about more than one player falling fouling of team policies.

Any shortcomings paled when compared to Derek "2 left feet" Cooke.

In other circumstances I would agree that Perth would be going for a McKay type, looking only to supplement, but given the improvements elsewhere I wonder...

Can't wait to find out

Reply #751939 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"But there were rumours about more than one player falling fouling of team policies."

Have a mate that played for Rockingham with DKD...he had some stories about McKay...

Reply #751942 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Do tell.

Reply #751946 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"Do tell."

Let's just say The Cats probably had review their team policies to include appropriate behaviour or team trips when sharing hotel rooms. :P

Reply #752114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grow up Perthworld

Reply #752130 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Just saw that Greg Monroe signed overseas, he would've done ok in the NBL.

What's happened to Roy Hibbert?

Reply #752158 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

@Senator11 ewwww! I feel sorry for whoever had to room with him.

Reply #752175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ewwww who talks like that.
Perthworld must be a 12yo girl.

Reply #752184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Judging by some of the tweets I've seen Jameel "like" on Twitter, im starting to get the picture!

Reply #752185 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I wonder if we would sign Ibekwe, could you imagine having the sharpest elbows ever throwing those around... terrible player but good gap filler until we sign a true import big.

Reply #752206 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:03 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754