36ers to play Philippines national team

Looks like the 36ers are off to Manila in August to play a two game series vs the Philippines national team as part of their tune up before the World Cup.

Apparently Mark Dickel who coaches there was involved in arranging the friendlies.

One might question if the "brawl" from last year is a bit too fresh for both countries.

Topic #45504 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure how this wasn't noticed down here.

https://www.espn.com/basketball/gilas/story/_/id/27167105/gilas-pilipinas-play-goodwill-games-vs-adelaide-36ers

Reply #750749 | Report this post

Jackson  
Years ago

After watching that brawl with the Boomers last year I would say you would have to be nine kinds of stupid to ever go back to to the Philippines

Reply #750753 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

This is so awesomely bad by the Sixers. More material incoming for us.

inb4 Carl

Reply #750760 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Kickert isn't on the sixers roster, it'll be fine.

Reply #750763 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Strange move. Maybe something Basketball Australia & Basketball Philippines (or whatever their governing body is called) have also been involved in to to try and ease tensions.

Reply #750771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It'll be fine, good move, as a rule philipinos are beautiful people. Good move Sixers.

Reply #750775 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

The last time Sixers played a Philipino team was the PBA team in Darwin.

That was a pretty dirty game.

Reply #750776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No idea why you'd want to go play there. Also like it though because it'll be hilarious to see their national team lose to a middle of the pack NBL team

Reply #750777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Out of all the NBL teams though you'd say Adelaide with all their hot heads will be the most likely to have an all in brawl with the Philippines

Reply #750778 | Report this post

joe  
Years ago

Anybody that read the Philippines comments following that incident knows that they felt they were entirely in the right and they thought all Australians were at fault and looked forward to the opportunity in the future to set things straight. If my child was injured in any way during that event I would sue and win against the 36ers organization, the coaches, the NBL and anyone who signed off on this idiot move. It's called gross negligence and would result in punitive damages that would bankrupt everyone involved. Including the league. Those boys in the Philippines ain't exactly right in the head. I'm guessing that either Australia doesn't have any lawyers or none of them were consulted. At the trial I would show the footage of the Boomers brawl 500 times to the jury. Whatever lucky lawyer representing that injured party would not have to work again in this lifetime. And there would be no more NBL.

Reply #750779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stupid 6ers why even bother give these scums our attention.

Reply #750784 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

I like it. Phillipines will be on their best behaviour and it will be a great chance to put it all behind us.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was pretty much the main focus of the exercise.

Reply #750788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Philipines when they get smacked:

'bUt iT wAs 0nLy oUr B tEaM'

Reply #750789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The two countries were bound to cross paths in future tournaments anyways. It makes no sense to avoid games like this even after what happened. I know people like to quote some of the Filipinos that defended their team's actions, but there are also tons of fans and players in their league that thought otherwise. It’s best not to dwell on the past and just take these small steps towards mending the relationship between the two nations.

Reply #750791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just don't like how they won't admit that they aren't good at basketball

Reply #750792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They will have Philippines referees so they will be fine

Reply #750793 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Wonder how many flexes from 36ers players it will take till the Philippines team start throwing punches?

Reply #750795 | Report this post

scopes44  
Years ago

Imagine if Sobey was still on the team? How is it necessary to do these games? We go on about how our league has excellent talent and can get young up and coming talent and excellent imports yet they are going overseas to play a few games. IMO was of money and considering what happened with the Boomers - this is a recipe for disaster.

Reply #750797 | Report this post

Adelaideworld  
Years ago

Only in Adelaide lol

Reply #750799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should go play China if you really have to go overseas. Better competition with more money.

Reply #750800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Far out....whoever at the Sixers thought this was a good idea needs their head read. Phillipines basketball is corrupt, corrupt referees, corrupt officials and once betting gets involved anything can happen. NOTHING to be gained by going there.

Reply #750805 | Report this post

Adelaideworld  
Years ago

Adelaide although very mediocre could win against the Phillipines.

Reply #750806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fantastic opportunity for Toughie, Gluey and the rest of the boys to sharpen their 'skills'.

Reply #750810 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

and in unrelated news, The 36ers have announced that Chuck Norris will be special drinks boy for their tour of Manila in August.

Reply #750815 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Incorrect, Chuck Norris has committed to storming the gates of Area 51. 36ers aren't getting out alive.

Reply #750818 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Awesome get ready for another brawl...looking forward to Deng flying kicking people like his cousin Maker did!

Thats was one of the funniest things I've ever seen on a basketball court!

Reply #750821 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Why is Deng going?

Reply #750826 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

How tall is the tallest Phillipino?

Reply #750827 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

As long as they don't touch the court stickers before the game

Reply #750828 | Report this post

Interesting that they named Jordan Clarkson in their squad in hope of clearing FIBA paperwork to make him play as a local. Filipino roots via his mum.

Reply #750829 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Phillipines basketball is corrupt, corrupt referees, corrupt officials and once betting gets involved anything can happen.

I'll never forget when Rosell Ellis was signed by the 'Cats after playing in the PBA. In a media interview on his arrival when asked about the last team he played for he said there were some games where his teammates would down tools all of a sudden. It's that blatant.

Reply #750831 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Let's hope that all chairs are bolted to the floor.
If they have any 'towel wavers' on their bench, towels should be checked for rocks

Reply #750832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

appart from their obviously not filipino american imports, probaby like 5'10

Reply #750833 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

For a nation where basketball is as big as anywhere in the world (same level as say Lithuania in terms of popularity but with 35 times the population) they area a seriously ordinary team.

Height is one problem, but by no means solely justifies how ordinary they are.

Reply #750835 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Far out are you really comparing the Philippines population to Lithuania?

Reckon there's any difference in development, infrastructure and money in those countries?

Reply #750837 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I've got some old stickers they can have if that helps the situation?

Reply #750844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i am guessing none of the NBL teams wanted to play the sixers as they wanted a real hit out

Reply #750855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All hate aside, their tallest local national team players are 6'10 (June Mar Fajardo) and 6’9 (Japeth Aguilar). I remember Fajardo because he was one of the guys that didn’t participate in the tussle at all.

Reply #750864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is a very strange decision, but I'm sure that there are many factors at play, including corporate deals/support for the team/owner? There would be a bigger picture at play here.
The risk of another brawl would be low, the quality of the game would be equally as low. Only time will tell how this goes.

Reply #750865 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Heard a rumour that Randle's wife is head of security at the game!

Reply #750870 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Head of catering.

Reply #750871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Risk of a brawl low? You gotta be kidding. They know only one way to play....dirty. Do you think they are going to change that because of what happened and they believe they were in the right? I say the risk of a brawl is extremely high. This is a stupid decision.

Reply #750872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The risk of a brawl is low or at least much lower because the tune up games are for the World Cup the following week. People are forgetting that there was a lot of tension between the two teams pre game and before the brawl itself. Granted, our players (on the bench) stayed back when it happened, but we also can't excuse certain players from adding fuel to the fire. People need to stop taking quotes fresh from the incident and focus more on the present. The two teams WILL meet again in future tournaments since we have merged with the Asian region. Prolonging a matchup between the two countries serves no purpose. It’s better to take small steps like this in order to move forward.

Reply #750874 | Report this post

joe  
Years ago

I spoke with two coaches and several players after the game last year and they were scared for their safety. No one I talked to said they would ever go back. People coming out of the stands and throwing chairs and punches. If not for Longley knocking 10 guys off of one of ours under their basket that guy could have been killed. I think they need to re-evaluate. The fans will be drunk and looking for payback. Something bad happens and those who signed off on this need to be thrown out of the NBL.

Reply #750875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon organisers will ensure this will be incident free as the Philippines is already on notice by FIBA. They would do all they can to not get stripped of hosting rights for the 2023 World Cup.

Reply #750887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both teams should put a friendship decal on the floor prior to the game

Reply #750890 | Report this post

Boydie  
Years ago

Hope they taking Luc Longley over as addition security, saved CG43s life last time!

Reply #750921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there is no way anything nasty goes down this time. the whole future of their international program is at stake so everyone will be on best behaviour.

Reply #750925 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Would be funny if the Sixers started something and got them banned from hosting 2023.

Reply #750966 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Shouldn't be an issue as they should still have several years to serve on their international competition ban.

Reply #750972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon - what international competition ban are you referring to? I think all suspensions have been served...

Reply #750974 | Report this post

Adelaideworld  
Years ago

Would be funny if Bijan Johnson was playing there.

Reply #750979 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Security is top issue here. Why would you even consider if thats an issue. Surely confidence in game is guaranteed all ready. Important to maintain goodwill.

Reply #751008 | Report this post

joe  
Years ago

They had security guys last year. That worked out real good. If you played for very long you know that it can get out of hand real quick. And when you aren't really punished for that kind of behavior and every other guy in the stands knows he can come down and throw a punch or a chair and get away with it because everyone there thinks it's justified, any amount of security isn't enough. Any other country, maybe. But in the Philippines, with all those tiny little people feeling it's their duty to take up for their country, it is a situation that as a parent I would say "hell no" to my kid being there. Screw good will. Wasn't much good will going around that place last year. But I'm a lawyer, and I only hope if something bad happens, the parents call me. I would love to own the NBL.

Reply #751010 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Yeah well I'm a mermaid hunter.

Reply #751011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I bet you don't catch any mermaids though cockhead.

Reply #751012 | Report this post

joe  
Years ago

Perthworld, I know you get tired of hearing this several times a day, but, go find your mommy, have her help you put your big boy pants on, and go play outside. So the grownups can talk. Maybe you can find some mermaids. That's a good boy.

Reply #751014 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Interesting that 36ers have put out a press release saying we are working on the risk and have not made anything concrete as yet.

I just like hmmmmm Philippines have just asked us to play some preparation games.

Last thing we will have the Boomers do, Hang on, lets send them Joey.

NBL and now Basketball Australia's number 1 bad guy.

Reply #751015 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Adelaide have absolutely nothing to gain from doing this, Philippines if well behaved gets the nod that they can be under control. Why are the 36ers helping them out here after what they did? Seems ridiculous...

Reply #751054 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

The Boomers organised a hit out against the USA and Canada, the Philippines the Adelaide 36ers.

I expect the 36er players would prefer to be in Melbourne instead of Manila

Reply #751062 | Report this post

Carl  
Years ago

No kickhurt no problem. Lmao. Kidding aside that's a good gesture on both sides. Forget the past and move on.

Reply #751673 | Report this post

Penrith  
Years ago

Those people here saying Philippine basketball players are dirty, I bet they only saw Philippines playing basketball in that one game, and have never seen or heard Philippines play in previous international tournaments. I would also guess they have not heard or read any news about Australia being called out as dirty in past international tournaments too. That brawl seen on TV was just the effect of something already boiling even before the start of the game. Boomers are still in state of denial that they were beaten by Japan before that and so cannot afford to lose the game. Gilas (Philippines) are being humiliated a day before that, during the game (verbally or psychologically), and the lopsided score. Thus, the sickening brawl instigated by Kickert. Basketball is a contact sport. It will easily turn to something else if attitudes and behaviours aren't checked. The friendly is a good move. Time to move on.

Reply #755740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's clarify: Kickert's play was dirty. The numerous Philippino players involved were dirty. The Philippino officials that had the audacity to throw punches toward players that hadn't done anything are fucking scum.

It's difficult to move on when 50 IQ Philippino fans constantly revel in their team's involvement in the brawl, hiding behind long-debunked claims (even by their own coach) that Australian players made racist remarks toward their players and Australian players removing court decals - which is entirely inappropriate, but not an excuse for violence.

Let's hope the Philippino players don't see this 'friendly' as an opportunity to escalate the conflict. We will find out.

Reply #755747 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Can't believe they're still going to play those dirty little pricks over there. Steven Trigg should fly over on his own and stay there never to return. Phillipino basketball is a waste of time anyway. They'll never be any good to play against and they're terrible to watch.

Reply #755983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get over it, let's hope the Sixers make a few dollars and get early season preparations.

Reply #755986 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Lets all get over gang bashing Australian players with chairs and blind sided assaults by Phillipino players, coaches and officials. Lets forget the selfies afterwards too. It's all about money right? Violence and corruption is all the sport has to offer in the Philippines and FIBA is a poor excuse for a governing body.

Reply #756144 | Report this post

Tommy Cayetano  
Years ago

I am aware that I will probably get flak here since I'm from the Philippines. I personally say that I'd be more than happy to see the 36ers play Philippines.

Regarding the brawl, I personally prefer to put that in the past. It has been more than a year since that happened, but I do see why it's still fresh in memory.

Pogoy (the brawl-starter for me) is in the team, sure. I honestly think that he got bashed enough by his fellow Filipino players right after the brawl ended. I can't tell for sure whether he'll flare up another brawl, but I don't really care, since I personally dislike Pogoy.

I am well aware of the fact that our fans usually love to point out the sticker-removal and the Kickert elbow. IMO, I'm not taking sides on who's "right" here. I honestly cringe reading these fan's crazy tweets.

At the end of the day, I just love to see the Philippine team play with a team from Australia. Best of luck to you guys :)

Reply #757357 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:15 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754