Anon
Years ago

NBL - Next Stars Aussie Prospects?

If Tamuri Wigness is considered a low priority on the NBL Next Stars list, where do the rest of our local talent such as Wigness rank? If Josh Green decided to de-commit, would he be eligible over Wigness? What about Mojave King and Giddey? Could Kouat Noi have classified as a Next Star, could possibly be a mid-late second rounder next year. What other Aussie Prospects could genuinely qualify as an NBL Next Star?

Topic #45517 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was interesting how Uluc mentioned 3 Aussies have been reached out to for the Next Stars program. As far as Australian based talent goes, Wigness is pretty high up there, so I don't think it would've been any of the other guys based out here.

From the caliber of guys they seemed to have been targeting, you would have to imagine those names would've been Josh Green, Makur Maker, and someone like a Jayden Stone or someone.

I'm not sure exactly what qualifies, Kouat Noi is an interesting case study there, you would imagine that if Cairns could've gotten him to qualify as a Next Star they would simply for the subsidization/extra roster spot.

Along those lines, I think another Aussie that could be looking at the NBL, and again not sure if he qualifies as a Next Star, is Lat Mayen, Noi's teammate at TCU who was a 4* and has had some pretty high praise but college career derailed by injury and just left the program after 1 playing season to pursue pro options. Lot of potential in him, would love to see him picked up here, whether it's NS or regular spot.

As for King and Giddey, I think they're 'Next Star' level prospects, but I would imagine it would be too early for them to join an NBL squad just yet. Both 16 or so, and I think King said he wasn't going to make his college/otherwise decision until the end of year 12 next year, so maybe 2021 Next Star targets (as Makur Maker could also be).

Reply #751220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mayen as a dp would be a nice pickup for cairns.

Reply #751638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next year we could see?

Aussie
Tamuri Wigness - cairns (home state)
Josh Giddey - melbourne (home state)
Mojavee King - brisbane (home state)
Makur Maker - Perth (home state)

U.s import
Jalen Green - sydney?
Nz?
Adelaide?
Illawara?
S,e Melbourne?

Who would bring in most interest?

Reply #764715 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:02 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754