Anonymous
Years ago

NZ breakers to make "international" player announcement

Tom hersz tweeted this will happen tomorrow.

Any ideas?

Topic #45533 | Report this topic

Benno  
Years ago

Andrew Goudelock?

Reply #751529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fits into the word that they signed a guard with NBA and European experience

Reply #751531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if it Andrew goudelock he has the same agent as Casey Prather and Daniel kickert

Reply #751532 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

A guard with NBA and Euroleague appearance?

I thought Liam was talking on NBL Overtime about a big.

Also - its worth noting I saw on some US article that Matt Walsh is pursuing a Chinese prospect that would not count as an import. Will see what that is tomorrow.

Reply #751534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yi Jianlian?

Reply #751536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It said a Chinese player from the NBA academy

Reply #751539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Got a link for that Chinese player article?

Reply #751542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I read the academy bit from an article called " a day in the life of Matt Walsh". Not sure if this is the one being referred to by Pyro

Reply #751546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Monta Ellis. Already got the inside word. Its a done deal.

Reply #751547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Monta Ellis is Chinese?

Reply #751554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Monta Ellis Would be a good get

Reply #751565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does he play Tennis?

Reply #751588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Chinese pg currently at global.

Reply #751589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Word on the street is Mason Gaze

Reply #751597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rhymes with Gandrew Moudelock

Reply #751617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Terry Li out of NBA Global academy in Canberra.

Reply #751621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This kid will start for China one day I think.

Reply #751622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good for nz, grabbing some audience from china too.

Reply #751623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it was an Australian team using a DP spot for a foreigner id be against it.

Reply #751625 | Report this post

A A Ron  
Years ago

So the Australian NBL has the possibility of having a team from New Zealand sending 5 players on court that contains 4 American imports and a Chinese DP?

Reply #751630 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

More of the NBL favouring international headlines over local talent.

Reply #751633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who'll be the one to start a new thread about the official announcement

Reply #751635 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

3 year deal seems a bit wild. I have no idea what the ceiling is for this guy, but surely there is a 17 year old NZ prospect that's worth a 3 year chance rather than a Chinese national. This seems to be in the Bo Liu/Amritpal Singh mould of signings - ie. not really for basketball reasons.

Reply #751651 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

A A Ron, your point also applies with Australian NBL teams with three imports, a Next Stars player, an Oceania/Asian player (playing as a local) and any other number of naturalised Americans (playing as locals) that could make up the starting five or bench.

Some Euro leagues have a three import rule but that only two could be on court at any time.

Reply #751732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"3 year deal seems a bit wild. I have no idea what the ceiling is for this guy, but surely there is a 17 year old NZ prospect that's worth a 3 year chance rather than a Chinese national. "

So you have no idea what type of player he could be but you think it's wild because he's Chinese? What if he's really good? I assume to be part of the NBA global academy be must be a pretty good talent.

3 year deal kind of makes sense to me if you believe he's a good talent. Given his age, he's unlikely to contribute straight away, by getting him for three years you get to capture some of the upside.

To me, the main question is whether he's any good and we should probably look a bit deeper than just seeing his country of birth to decide if that's the case.

Reply #751740 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

It's nothing to do with him being Chinese, and everything to do with him being non-NZ. Marketing BS aside, the Next Stars programme is basically intended to increase the league profile and put bums on seats by luring over young prospects. Reading about this guy, looking at some of the numbers he's put up... It's just strange, especially for 3 years. He figures to contribute very little, so why not bring along a guy who might end up being with your club for 10 years and maybe even representing your country one day instead of a fringe international prospect.

Reply #751746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do Chinese players count as imports in the NBL? Maybe this guy ends up playing for the Breakers for multiple years?

Reply #751747 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:21 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754