Anonymous
Years ago

Kings sign Jae’Sean Tate

Utterly bizarre signing. They need a legit impact four and pick up some undersized three who is far from an impact guy and last played in Belgium. Says to me that the money has dried up. The Kings can spin this all they like but the fact is this dude is an NBL1 level import.

Topic #45535 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

cheap wing man hoping

Reply #751537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moller to the four then and Newley, they'll be fine. It certainly looks like a team first approach by all the players they have signed, it might not be a championship team but the foundation looks a lot solider than their past few seasons. They got some heads in there and as said probably not the dollars available.

Reply #751548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luv someone saying "Utterly bizarre signing. They need a legit impact four and pick up some undersized three who is far from an impact guy and last played in Belgium."
Shame they didn't say that the Kings shouldn't ever sign this guy before the event. Lot more street cred then.

Reply #751587 | Report this post

K4L  
Years ago

One more power foward position to come?

Reply #752313 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

So what position will this guy actually play?

We all thought Sydney needed to prioritise an import PF, and according to LSM that's what they've done. He has this guy starting at the 4!?!

"I've spoken to a bunch of people about Tate and everyone I've touched base with loves him, with the words most commonly used to describe him being 'animal’, ‘beast’ and ‘freak’. One international scout described him as "a mini-Zion with his frame" and said “he’s too powerful for small forwards and too elusive for power forwards.” I can’t wait to watch this guy take on the NBL. "

His Belgian stats don't hint at this superman status?

Reply #754033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He might be all of the above but his Belgium team didn't think he was a starter to often. LSM has a habit of talking up players, quite often above there ability. We will see in due course. Most of the league seems to be going for more agile stretch fours though, in saying that Tate listed at 6ft 4", so lets hope he doesn’t get the plane shrinkage that Gordgian used to complain about.

Reply #754053 | Report this post

robt.  
Years ago

"Pacific Shrink"!

Reply #754056 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Stretch 4's are good, especially back in the day when teams would play a 3-man front-court.
But I still see guys like Kay and Wesley as the archetypal NBL PF.

Brisbane have gone interesting, on the assumption that Braun is now going to be forced to play the 4. But he was signed when they thought Patterson wasn't returning, and besides still has a few inches on Tate.

Last season Wear seemed to prefer the stretch 4 role, and at times played more like a 3/4, but he at least had the size and strength of a true NBL PF.

I just assume Tate was either going to start at SF, and/or relieve Newley and allow him to slide to the 2 at times?

Who knows, maybe the new coach doesn't realise what a selfish soft___k Kickert has become? Only good for throwing elbows and starting brawls

Reply #754059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes the pacific shrink. Lol.

Reply #754064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've noticed that some of the new imports highlight reals that they travel a lot.

Reply #754067 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Wow my memory mustn't be too good Dazz as I can't remember Kickert being anything other than a selfish soft cocked marshmallow.

Good luck to him but I don't know how you can trust him, he's an amazing shooter but everything else he does on a basketball court is inadequate and he's too old to be changing his game now

Reply #754116 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Yeah, amazing at protecting his stats...

Look, even if you start Kickert at PF, they still have a superb lineup.
Probably on paper the 2nd best, and not far behind MU.

And that last player is going to come down to dollars, how much they have already spent and which players they can squeeze into the Bench Cap.
They may need to sign a bargain option like Hire, but then why sign Tate?

Reply #754176 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Tate will be the Kings starting PF.

Reply #754178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moller will start in the four, kings will play run and uptempo. Kings were very pleased when his name was on the free agents list. If Moller doesn't start at four I think Newley would start there. Tate did not even start in Belgium league which no where as strong as nbl.

Reply #754185 | Report this post

maxymoo  
Years ago

Moller, Tate & Newley at the 4 .....Bogut is going to be in perpetual defensive rotation.

Reply #754187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newley and Moller excellent defensively, not certain on Tate.

Reply #754189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Were are the points coming from

Reply #754191 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Moller will start at the 4"

Yes, but we're talking about the Sydney Kings and NBL, not the Huskies.

Reply #754229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Played three for huskies.

Reply #754232 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I think Moller at the 4 can work next to Bogut.

Reply #754244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tate is the real deal! All the nay sayers need to admit he's having a stellar season and was prejudged. That would take degree of integrity, doesn’t exist in this forum. Sad but true.

Reply #788752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whats the changes that he re signs

Reply #788753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's probably going to demand big money where ever he goes, got a chance of nba but imo a big euro club will be his destination.

Reply #788788 | Report this post

Exceeded expectations

Reply #788791 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Last year

Boy were you guys wrong, I wish it had names on the people who said these takes without watching him play !

Reply #920833 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

Congratulations to him. But there are plenty of average players running around collecting pay checks in the NBA. Just ask LeBron, 90% are chumps

Reply #920834 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last year

There's a lack of a "middle" (or maybe "lower middle") class in the NBA for sure, where the risk and insecurity of minimum/two-way/non-guarantee contracts means the best players in that category are playing in Europe. We are still talking about 100% of guys in the NBA being among the top basketballers in the world however - guys who contributed if not starred for (largely) div 1 powerhouses in college or the top Euro leagues.

Reply #920838 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Turned into a good player, certainly having Weaver go there helped him, been injured a lot as well.

Reply #920839 | Report this post

Cram  
Last year

I saw this message called out recently. Good to see.

As to the 90% are chumps thing....

Rosters of 17 with the bottom few being 2-way and non guaranteed etc mean that yeah the bottom 6ish of most rosters are comparable in talent with the top couple of most teams in most quality leagues around the world. There'll be some that ar even worse than that and just have a good run at the right time etc.

But regular rotation players - your top 10-11 guys - are (for the most part) well above that in terms in quality.

Tate has been a rotation player since he's been in the league and often a starter. Yes its been a bad team, but we'll get a better sense of that this season with a new coach and some more depth. He's done really well so far and can only be considered a success.

Reply #920847 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Last year

This post aged well

Reply #921030 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:06 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754