UNC
Years ago

Best Australian Basketball player of all time

This may anger some of the older fans of the game, but I after some thought I do not think Andrew Gaze or any of that generation can fit this title.

It seems clear that Andrew Bogut has performed the best as a junior player within Australia (success in the SEABL) and internationally at events (2003 U19 GOLD). Moving into college he won almost every award in is Sophmore season and was the first pick in the draft. But he continued to have success in his NBA career before injuries derailed perhaps a future DPOTY. What really does it for his NBA career is his effectiveness in a changing game and his ability to remain relevant despite injuries and a lack of a three-point shot. I don't think he holds this title in ten years though.

Did I forget anything? Am I wrong? Or is this spot on?

Topic #45539 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kyrie Irving

Reply #751647 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

These debates, comparisons are always too subjective to call, unless you are going to list criteria or use a formula to determine what the criteria consists of you are likely only going to result in conjecture and bias.

Lauren Jackson has to be in the debate with her accomplishments, Ben Simmons is still potentially going to pass everyone in athleticism, who knows, what are we comparing, what specifically are we actually judging here....?

Reply #751648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lauren Jackson then daylight. It's a non contest, played all over the world was always the best.

Reply #751650 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

A lot also depends on what you define as the 'best'. If the 'best' was the person you would choose in your team then LJ wouldn't get a look in ahead of a couple of hundred men and perhaps more. However, she is by far and away our greatest basketballer in terms of career achievements and standing in the game.

For me, the best would include these names:

- Simmons
- Bogut
- Gaze
- Anstey

Greatest would look like:

- Jackson
- Gaze
- Taylor
- Anstey
- Timms

Simmons and Lizzy will ultimately join the second list also once their careers have played out.

Reply #751652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's no contest Kyrie Irving
Born
March 23, 1992 (age 27)
Melbourne, Australia

NBA champion (2016)
6× NBA All-Star (2013-2015, 2017–2019)
NBA All-Star Game MVP (2014)
All-NBA Second Team (2019)
All-NBA Third Team (2015)
NBA Rookie of the Year (2012)
NBA All-Rookie First Team (2012)
NBA Three-Point Shootout champion (2013)
USA Basketball Male Athlete of the Year (2014)
FIBA World Cup MVP (2014)

Reply #751653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Irving might be born in Melbourne but he's not Australian, as noted above check out what Jackson has achieved, it’s a no brainer.

Reply #751655 | Report this post

UNC  
Years ago

Kyrie plays for the US he is not an Australian basketball player. We would have medaled at international events with him, I don't think gold medals are the only factor he truly seems an American.

Reply #751656 | Report this post

UNC  
Years ago

LJ is the greatest woman of all time. But she is not better than people playing in the waratah league.

Reply #751657 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

AKA why Anstey? Ingles has passed him now

Reply #751663 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Again, its all subjective and comes down to criteria and the difficulty in comparing eras etc. For example I have no doubt that Andrew Gaze could have put together a Joe Ingles type career in the NBA in the modern era, yet he barely got a look in where he was.

But yeah, the our greatest basketball player of all time is LJ. Then daylight.

Reply #751664 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Brunson, I feel Anstey's skill set & career is severely underrated and I have high high on the tree. It is however subjective and I can see that Ingles would fit into that group also. For me, if i was choosing between a peak Anstey or a peak Ingles I would take Anstey but I can see why someone would choose otherwise. Both great basketballers who represent our country extremely well.

Reply #751670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greg Hire

Reply #751674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zac Delaney

Reply #751675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Irving might be born in Melbourne but he's not Australian, as noted above check out what Jackson has achieved, it's a no brainer.

NBA, Cleveland Cavaliers celebrating Australia Day as Aussie playing contingent grows
AM BY NORTH AMERICA CORRESPONDENT MICHAEL VINCENT

"To celebrate Australia Day really means a lot to me and my family and hopefully a lot of people back home in Australia," Cleveland's Australian point guard, Matthew Dellavedova, said at the announcement.
Alongside Dellavedova on court is number two Kyrie Irving, who was born in Melbourne and has dual US-Australian citizenship.
"I haven't been back [to Australia] for the last two years, but I'm doing everything possible to get back," said Irving, whose father, Drederick, played in the NBL for the Bulleen Boomers.

"Probably the best experience of my life, if not the best was going back and being able to experience Australia with my dad."

Is Greg Norman Australian?
Errol Flynn
Flea from the red hot chilli peppers
The list goes on and on

LJ was very good in the women’s bb possibly the best woman bb player ever.
How far would LJ have made it in the NBA?

Kyrie best male
LJ best female

Reply #751677 | Report this post

UNC  
Years ago

LJ is not a mens college player. But GOAT woman.

Reply #751680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jackson. Easy.

Reply #751681 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Did I forget anything? Am I wrong? Or is this spot on?"

Yes, Yes, and No.

"What really does it for his NBA career is his effectiveness in a changing game and his ability to remain relevant despite injuries and a lack of a three-point shot."

You can't use your own subjective assessment of one player as the basis to claim he is the GOAT.

We can only look at achievements, because that is the only thing that allows comparisons across time.
Otherwise, its a pointless exercise, you're stuck with the problem that we invariably assess the modern game as being better, so how possibly to compare those of a previous generation?

On that basis, overall it is Jackson, and for the men it is Longley.

Yes, if you took any champion or team from 20 years ago, put them in the modern game, and they played like 20 years ago, they would lose. But the assumption we must make is that those who rose to the top 20 years would still rise to the top today (if "cloned" for example.)

Reply #751688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phil Smyth

Reply #751693 | Report this post

UNC  
Years ago

D.20

Bogut does not have a three-point shot, and it was not apart of the game before his injury when he was playing his best. Despite this, he has remained effective in playing his role. There are plenty of players at his position that were forced out of the NBA because they could not adapt to a role that was suited to the current game.

Acheivments-

BOGUT
NBA champion (2015)
All-NBA Third Team (2010)
NBA All-Defensive Second Team (2015)
NBA All-Rookie First Team (2006)
NBA blocks leader (2011)
NBL Most Valuable Player (2019)
All-NBL First Team (2019)
NBL Best Defensive Player (2019)
National college player of the year (2005)
Consensus first-team All-American (2005)
Pete Newell Big Man Award (2005)
MWC Player of the Year (2005)
MWC Freshman of the Year (2004)
No. 4 retired by University of Utah

BEST SEASON-
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bogutan01/gamelog/2010/

LUC-

3× NBA champion (1996-1998)
2× SBL champion (1989, 1990)
Gaze Medal winner (1989)
Australian Basketball Hall of Fame (2006)
Sport Australia Hall of Fame (2009)
2× First-team All-WAC (1990, 1991)

BEST SEASON
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/longllu01/gamelog/1996/

Reply #751694 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

LJ for women, Bogut for men. Simmons is on a possible trajectory to be the best male.

Reply #751697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Irving really wanted to be Australian he would've played for Australia. It’s nice that he wants to come back for a holiday but he’s American.

Jackson it is.

Reply #751698 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Are we including wheelchair basketballers in this?

There are some Rollers with pretty impressive international and local records, including Paralympic and World Championship gold medals - a rarity for Australian basketballers.

Players like Oliver, Sachs and Moloney come to mind, but only because I played against a couple of them in the 70s. I'm sure others have better knowledge than me about potential contenders for BABOAT among the wheelchair basketball fraternity.

Reply #751708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Irving really wanted to be Australian he would've played for Australia. It's nice that he wants to come back for a holiday but he’s American.

Is it about the best boomers player or the Australian player?
Is Kendall Stephens an Australian or an American?

ESPN 2017

Australia ranks third on NBA player list
The NBA told AAP it compiled its list based on birthplace, although it includes the New Zealand-born, Australian-raised key member of the Boomers Aron Baynes as an Australian.

Australia's NBA players are: Ben Simmons (Philadelphia 76ers); Andrew Bogut (Los Angeles Lakers); Patty Mills (San Antonio Spurs); Joe Ingles (Utah Jazz); Dante Exum (Utah Jazz); Matthew Dellavedova (Milwaukee Bucks); Baynes (Boston Celtics); Maker (Milwaukee Bucks); Mathiang (Charlotte Hornets); Irving (Boston Celtics).

The NBA announced 108 international players from a record 42 countries and territories are on opening-night rosters for the 2017-18 season.

NBAOLYMPICSBy Matt Lichtenstadteron August 10, 2016
Four years ago, Kyrie Irving was incredibly close to representing Australia at international level. At the time, it seemed that breaking into Team USA would be incredibly difficult, considering everyone that was ahead of him. Irving was born in Melbourne, meaning that he’d be immediately eligible to represent the Boomers, as they’re called. But someone changed his mind.

Here are some of his quotes from then:

"It was a great opportunity and 2016 is a while away, that’s all I’m going to say," Irving said at the time.

“It would have been great to go play with guys like Andrew (Bogut), if he was healthy, and Patty (Mills) in London.

“I’d like to be part of the culture here, do something special for Australian basketball.”

In a separate interview, Irving said: “I’m Aussie born and I consider myself an Aussie.”

Reply #751709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is from Kyrie Irving himself

In a separate interview, Irving said: "I'm Aussie born and I consider myself an Aussie."

Best Australian bb player
Kyrie Irving male
LJ female

Reply #751710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He doesn't consider himself Australian, he plays for the USA. No matter what you say he says, he’s American.

I think to be classed as an Australian you would play for Australia, Jackson played for Australia.

Reply #751714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will the dickhead obsessed with Irving just shut the fuck up.
Don't hear kiwis claiming Aron Baynes even though he was born there.
Steve Nash was born in South Africa but he is one of Canada's best players.

Reply #751715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will the dickhead obsessed with Irving just shut the fuck up.
Don't hear kiwis claiming Aron Baynes even though he was born there.
Steve Nash was born in South Africa but he is one of Canada's best players.

Calm down you don't have get upset mate it’s just a debate about

Not the best boomer of all time

No one wants to play for nz

No matter what you say he says, he’s American.
What?

In a separate interview, Irving said: "I’m Aussie born and I consider myself an Aussie."

Is Kendall Stephens Australian or Americans?

Reply #751720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

on the kyrie topic, honestly if he did not want to play for australia, we should not try to claim him, if hes not proud enough to wear our colours and represent our country, then he shouldnt be argued to be "Australian" or "Australias greatest basketball player"

Reply #751722 | Report this post

I can't help but eye-roll when Lauren Jackson is brought into the conversation. It's like saying the guy in social league who dominated every social league he ever played in is better than an average NBL player. Womens basketball is many orders of magnitude lower than mens competition. You're comparing apples with oranges by mentioning her. Does she have the most accolades of any Australian? Yes. But once again, in lesser competition. Is she great? Yes. Is she the greatest female player to have ever played the game? Probably. But let's not pretend for a moment that she wouldn't be held scoreless against an NBL mens team. If you're going to compare them all equally, you need to take into account what their capacities would be in competing in the same competition. Lauren Jackson, the greatest FEMALE to ever play the game, but that distinction is important if we're talking reality and not just trying to be "woke".

The greatest Australian Basketball player of all time, by order of personal achievement at the highest possible levels, right now, is Andrew Bogut. He has a Championship, NBA third team, and All Defensive Player accolades and an NBA career that lasted well over a decade. Second would be Luc Longley, for being an important role player on the threepeat Bulls. He never had the personal accolades Andrew had to push him over the edge.

The greatest Boomer of all time is, without any question, Andrew Gaze. He led the Olympics in scoring numerous times. He dominated NBL, and is undoubtedly the greatest player to ever play in the league. But when you look at his career on a personal level, it doesn't quite stack up to Bogut, despite Gaze having maybe more of a cultural effect on the game. Also one could easily argue that Gaze would have had a very successful NBA career had he been playing today.

None of this really will mean anything within a decade, though. Because by then Ben Simmons career will be well and truly established. He is already an All Star, already a rookie of the year, hopefully will be an Olympic medalist, and if his trajectory continues he will be the greatest player we've ever had.

Kyrie Irving isn't in the conversation. If you play for Team USA, you're out.

Reply #751727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

on the kyrie topic, honestly if he did not want to play for australia, we should not try to claim him, if hes not proud enough to wear our colours and represent our country, then he shouldnt be argued to be "Australian" or "Australias greatest basketball player"

It's not about the boomers
It’s about the Best Australian Basketball player of all time

The National Basketball Association's first overall pick is the player who is selected first among all eligible draftees by a team during the annual National Basketball Association (NBA) draft.
Andrew Bogut (Australia) in 2005, Kyrie Irving (Australia) in 2011, Anthony Bennett (Canada) in 2013, Andrew Wiggins (Canada) in 2014, Ben Simmons (Australia) in 2016,

The NBA recognises he is an Australian
He thinks he is Australian

Reply #751729 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

The womens/mens "debate" is to me about as meaningful as comparing LeBron to George Mikan. LJ played at the highest level of women's basketball and was perhaps the greatest, and orders of magnitude above what any male has so far achieved comparatively, but I don't think anyone is suggesting that LJ would beat Bogut or Longley or Gaze or whoever in their primes. LJ is the greatest in terms of individual accolades in the woman's game, and Bogut is the greatest in those same terms in the men's game. LJ's individual accolades are overall higher as well, but again, I'm not saying she'd average 20-10 in the div 1 men's NCAAs and then get drafted #1. I don't think it takes anything away from LJ, either. She dominated the best competition available to her.

Reply #751734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kyrie Irving isn't in the conversation. If you play for Team USA, you're out.

Not the best boomer of all time
Shouldn't matter if he plays for Afghanistan he was born in straya mate he’s a true blue Aussie

This is from his mouth
In a separate interview, Irving said: "I’m Aussie born and I consider myself an Aussie."

I’d rather play for gold than maybe 4th place how about you?

Reply #751738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank you AngusH, if you take the male and female out of it, Jackson has won more championships and mvp awards. That's how it should be looked at, and those thinking that in her prime she would be just an nbl 1 men’s level have no idea.
Bogut and Longley up there as well and locally Gaze to.

Reply #751739 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

What about best Australian to play in Australia professionally? I'd say Gaze is the heart and soul of basketball in Australia in terms of achievement in and for our country along with LJ.

Reply #751745 | Report this post

UNC  
Years ago

LJ and Bogut are logical and evidence-backed answers. Kyrie is not. We would finish second with him playing, I don't think he values his career on gold medals. So why play for the US, well because he considers himself one of them. It's not like we have a bad team at all.

Bogut

Baynes

Mills

Exum

ingles

Ryan B

Simmons

Bolden

Maker

Green

Creek

Landale

i missed some surley but those players above win the sliver medal with kyrie.

Reply #751749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was the London games when Kyrie was looking to play for Australia and he was 19
He was talked out of that with the promise of playing for the USA evidence backed
Same thing could of happened to Simmons

I can see many of personal opinions deciding if he is Australian or not but the evidence backed or facts are
He was born in Melbourne fact
NBA recognises he was number 1 draft pick from Melbourne Australia. Fact
He is a duel citizen Australian and American. Fact
He him self considers him self an Australian. Fact
And when he is finished in the nba he is coming to play in Australia. Fact

From an interview
Irving, to his credit, says that he will play in Australia when his NBA career ends, owing a debt of gratitude to the country where he was born.

He's Aussie mate Fact

Reply #751756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fact is that you just posted a load of horse shit. Fact fact.

Reply #751759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fact is that you just posted a load of horse shit. Fact fact.

And that's your opinion and based on non fact
All my information comes from interviews and media reports. Fact

And how about Kendall Stephens is he Australian or American?

Reply #751763 | Report this post

UNC  
Years ago

How can he be considered aussie, he has never represented us at any level anywhere. FACT

Also FACT, he played for the US as a junior and at the Nike Hoop Summit. FACT and FACT.

Even the guy that said Luc Longly is greater the Bogut sounds less blasphemous than this rubbish. F? Fact.

Reply #751773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

seriously......

Reply #751780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can he be considered aussie, he has never represented us at any level anywhere. FACT

He was born Melbourne that's a fact
It doesn’t matter if plays for Australia or not
It happens in other sports. NRL World Cup how many players where born in Lebanon? I don’t think any where but they still had a team.and you wouldn’t say there not Aussies just because they played for another country. we didn’t abandon them.
It sounds like you have a bruised ego because he chose a different team to what you would of liked. F?
When he’s retires from the nba he will play in the NBL as a non import as an Australian

Reply #751785 | Report this post

Titan97  
Years ago

Food for thought, by your reasoning Serena Williams, no matter how many slams she wins, would never be considered a greater tennis player than Tomic or Kyrgios

Reply #751793 | Report this post

CU  
Years ago

Williams is a greater player, she is not better. She could not beat the top NCAA mens tennis players. Like LJ could is not a better player than men playing in the lower leagues the the SEABL. Quite honestly 13 year old ben simmons would be the MVP of the WNBA until he is is about 60 if he kept playing.

Reply #751798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CU

Lmao you are kidding. Jackson at her peak would have been a star even against men.

Reply #751801 | Report this post

Dribbler  
Years ago

What about best Australian team ever?
Gaze
Simmons
Ingles
Baynes
Bogut

Bench

Delly
Mills
Broekoff
Vlahov
Longley

Sure I've missed a couple

Reply #751806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze then daylight.

Reply #751807 | Report this post

CU  
Years ago

She is not close. You should be banned for that blasphemy.

Reply #751809 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Jason Eversteyn then daylight

Reply #751814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

best Australian team ever
Gaze
Simmons
Ingles
Delly
Bogut

Bench

Maher
Mills
Broekoff
Cadee
Longley

Reply #751820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

:) Cadee

Reply #751823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't know Simmons was actually Australian.

Looks a bit like an American and seems to be demonstrating the accompanying values.

Reply #751826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jackson is the best female player but not the best overall. She would get destroyed in men's leagues so I can't see how she can be our greatest basketballer.

I know people will say she wasn't allowed to participate in men's comps but it doesn't take much imagination to know she wouldn't do that well.

Reply #751839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ultimately ladies basketball is of a lower standard than men's. I understand genetics are in play but well that's life. Should I discount LeBron James from discussions about great players because he is more athletically gifted. Guess what, we are talking about an athletic game, it matters!

Reply #751840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does "best" basketballer mean who is winning a 1v1 comp? Or most skilful overall?

LJ is more skilful than Bogut. Just because she played against women (apparently playing against other elite women doesn't mean shit to half of you) doesn’t mean she is instantly less skilful than bogut.

LJ is the best basketballer we’ve ever had. Just because she couldn’t beat a NBL1 level bloke doesn’t mean anything.

She’s done the most.

Reply #751841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Point is LJ would eat an nbl1 player, it's all opinions but her list of achievement is better than all.

Reply #751848 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

PG - Zac Delaney
SG - Daniel Joyce (C)
SF - Daniel George
PF - Callum Baynes
C - Jason Eversteyn

Boden Westover - 6th Man
Nelson Larkins
Brent Hobba
Nick Hambour
Miles Pearce

Sorry if I missed any greatness.

*THREAD IS NOW CLOSED*

Reply #751859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Saying LJ is the best because she's achieved a lot in women's basketball is like saying a legend in the state league is better than the national league.

It's a lower standard!

Reply #751943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont include women, thats just silly.

Simmons is already better then Bogut, already best player we have seen.
Gaze 2nd.

Reply #751944 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I'm impressed you remembered the names of all of those scrubs.

Reply #751948 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

^ That was in reply to #859

I love all the trolls who name drop LJ to then set yet another thread up as another debate re: sexes. We are talking about the best here so it's clearly about males only.

Reply #751949 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

LJ was the best female player in the world and achieved the most she could in the competitions she was able to compete in.
Bogut and Longley and Gaze didn't dominate in their competitions as much as LJ. However, those men were the best Australian players if gender doesn't come into consideration. And they'll probably be overtaken by Simmons if he stays healthy and plays for Australia.

(I don't go for the view that the NBA is a better competition than the FIBA World Cup or Olympics, sorry. Any competition which is open to the best players in the world MUST be stronger than one which is based around superior athletes from mainly one country.)

Any talk about social players being better than LJ is just bs, unless you're someone who thinks that women's sports don't matter. It's basically saying that the titles and medals earned by Margaret Court, Susie O'Neill, Dawn Fraser, Cathy Freeman, etc etc, didn't matter BECAUSE THEY WEREN'T MEN. FFS!!

Reply #751953 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

UNC was the original poster of this thread - he clearly was referring to male players. Of course as is the norm nowadays someone just had to mention the opposite sex and didn't like the reaction when it was broken down quality-wise the difference between the two. Maybe next time keep quiet.

Reply #751955 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Who broke your heart PW?

Reply #751961 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Men: Bogut, Gaze, Heal, Simmonds (will move up list as career goes on), Longley

Women: LJ, Timms, Taylor, Brondello (then any of 3 or 4 others)

Reply #751968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Women's standard being lower than men’s standard means nothing.

LJ did what she did against other elite women.

Reply #751976 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Looks like Palubinskas has a certificate to say he is

Reply #751985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"LJ was the best female player in the world and achieved the most she could in the competitions she was able to compete in. "

I like how people use "in the competitions she was able to compete in" like the only thing holding her back from dominating men's competitions were the rules that didn't allow her to play.

Reply #751986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" It's basically saying that the titles and medals earned by Margaret Court, Susie O'Neill, Dawn Fraser, Cathy Freeman, etc etc, didn't matter BECAUSE THEY WEREN'T MEN. FFS!!"

No one is saying they didn't matter, it just doesn't stack up as an argument as to why she is better than the great male players.

I could stack up a list of amazing accomplishments at my local rec centre but no one would consider me as the Aussie GOAT because they'd say the standard of competition isn't high.

It is a similar rationale for me why you can't consider LJ to be better than Gaze or Ben Simmons.

Reply #751987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"(I don't go for the view that the NBA is a better competition than the FIBA World Cup or Olympics, sorry. Any competition which is open to the best players in the world MUST be stronger than one which is based around superior athletes from mainly one country.)"

The NBA is a very global league these days mate. It is very open to international players and teams have scouting all around the world. If you're good enough, you can play in the NBA, it doesn't matter which country you're from

Reply #751988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Calm down Perthworld,do everyone a favour and follow your own advice by keeping quiet.

Reply #751989 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I'm calm. Meanwhile everyone else is going off on a female tangent the original poster UNC clearly wasn't asking about.

Reply #752002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well "Perthworld" the OP should have specified best Male.
If you have a partner or Children you should spend time with them and not your keyboard.

Reply #752006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The opp said best Australian basketball player, while it's a matter of opinions, LJ clearly has the best credentials.

Reply #752011 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Lots of anons and PW pushing their mysoginist strawmen arguments.

Reply #752014 | Report this post

Red 96  
Years ago

more like feminist crap from the left

Reply #752026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TIMMS is right up there.

Reply #752032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Timms, Jackson, Taylor, Bogut, Gaze.

Reply #752034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld, you sexist bruh?

Reply #752036 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Ah, let's turn this into another BS left-right argument... great. Nice use of your first post here, Red 96.

Reply #752038 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I don't see how it is sexist to admit objective reality. There are no laws actually forbidding females from playing in mens leagues. There was even laughable talk of Lauren Jackson playing for the South Dragons at some point (until someone woke up to hotel reality). Until a woman can compete in a men's competition they can't be in this conversation. Period. (Pun intended)

The conversations about the greatest players of all time should always be separate, just as the competitions should always be separate, and it is most unfair to women if you combine the two. Better, lesser, that isn't really the point. They are two completely different beasts.

Reply #752039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld wrecks another thread I'm surprised said no one ever.

Reply #752042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Got a horrible feeling GWB is back.

Reply #752043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Lots of anons and PW pushing their mysoginist strawmen arguments."

Look, I love that women play the game and play it well.

But I have to apply common sense. Men are stronger and more athletic. They are better at basketball than women, and by some margin.

It is possible that a female player could have the most unbelievable skill level that it overcomes the physical disadvantage, but that hasn't come close to happening yet. At the end of the day basketball is a very dynamic game so athleticism plays a huge part.

Reply #752045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So being able to dunk is more important than countless individual awards. I shouldn't be surprised Hoops feels this way.

Reply #752046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"So being able to dunk is more important than countless individual awards. "

I've found that people when struggling to come up with rational arguments just make up words that others said

Reply #752049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"So being able to dunk is more important than countless individual awards."

When it comes to awards it depends on the standard of competition associated with the awards.

If someone won 5 NBA MVPs, all things being equal, you would rate their achievements higher than someone who won 5 NBL MVPs, because the standard of the NBA is higher.

Reply #752050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A woman playing at the highest level they can play is playing at the same level that a man playing at the highest level can play.

Reply #752051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one:

Hoops: Men are better at sport so it is impossible that a woman could have a better career than any man.

Reply #752053 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"A woman playing at the highest level they can play is playing at the same level that a man playing at the highest level can play."

Okay, so if that's the argument, how about we just throw in people with handicaps, wheelchair basketballers, players in social leagues who aren't particularly gifted but are "playing at the highest level they can play", because physically, that will be true?

You can't possibly call Lauren Jackson the greatest Australian basketball player of all time and simultaneously know that the top 3000 Australian male players would absolutely demolish her 1 on 1, in a team game, and on every conceivable level.

"No one:

Hoops: Men are better at sport so it is impossible that a woman could have a better career than any man.

"

Well, in some ways Lauren Jackson has had a more distinguished career than male players - in the league and level she plays in. But that doesn't make her the best Australian basketball player of all time because she could not compete at the level the male players competed at.

Reply #752062 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Until a woman can compete in a league with men, they're not in the conversation. I know we all want to be nice and courteous, and I know it's 2019, but this is reality. It would be like saying Sheryl Swoopes is better than Lebron James basically. There are no strict rules that prevent women from playing in the NBL or the NBA. If Zion Williamson were Ziona Williamson she could and would play NBA. But the female equivalent of these male players do not exist and to pretend that the leagues are equal until they do is ridiculous.

Reply #752063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fucking hell. If a wheelchair basketballer played 10 years in whatever the top level of wheelchair basketball is, won 10 championships, 10 MVPs and two gold medals, they couldn't be the best basketballer we’ve produced simply because their legs don’t work? Ben Simmons with his two popularity contest appearances has the better career?

Reply #752066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andrew Gazes 130 minute NBA career is better than Lauren Jackson's WNBA career despite her winning two championships, three MVPs, 7 all stars, DPOY, three scoring awards, because he played in the same league as Jordan.

Reply #752067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the word male beeñ added by the OP Perthworld and the anon trolls might have been quiet

Reply #752073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OP wrote about junior careers. Not sure what that has to do with playing NBA.

Reply #752079 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

And so, the conjecture and bias keeps rolling on............

Reply #752087 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Andrew Gazes 130 minute NBA career is better than Lauren Jackson's WNBA career despite her winning two championships, three MVPs, 7 all stars, DPOY, three scoring awards, because he played in the same league as Jordan."

Well, basically, yes. Why? Because even the NBL is a far superior competition to the WNBA. Not sure why you're struggling to grapple with this.

"Fucking hell. If a wheelchair basketballer played 10 years in whatever the top level of wheelchair basketball is, won 10 championships, 10 MVPs and two gold medals, they couldn't be the best basketballer we've produced simply because their legs don’t work? Ben Simmons with his two popularity contest appearances has the better career?"

If you're going to pretend that this hypothetical wheelchair player could actually be better than Ben Simmons on any level you have rocks in your head.

Next thing you're going to say that the guy who can hit 10 out of 10 three point shots in his own backyard is better than Reggie Miller, just because you can't seem to comprehend that the competition you play against actually matters.

Reply #752096 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@ME, two things:

1. Take a Valium.

2. I am backing our best wheelchair basketballer to destroy Ben in a wheelchair, according to those rules, until his jump shot improves anyhow.

Reply #752100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Fucking hell. If a wheelchair basketballer played 10 years in whatever the top level of wheelchair basketball is, won 10 championships, 10 MVPs and two gold medals, they couldn't be the best basketballer we've produced simply because their legs don’t work?"

In short, yes. If you put this player on the same court as Lauren Jackson and started a game of basketball, I think Jackson would be far more effective in contributing to her team winning the game.

It doesn't mean wheelchair players shouldn't be admired and can't have a great career though.

Reply #752189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ME and Perthworld take your sexist and misogynistic views elsewhere

Reply #752218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OP said best career. Yet is talking about Boguts one NBA ring and youth achievements. Much better career than LJ though.

Reply #752219 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Do we really care about womens basketball?

Not sure they can be counted.

Reply #752227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As with a lot of these arguments, there are so many ways to define "best" that you end up going around in circles.

Even saying best "career" - what does that mean? Individual awards? Team success? Money made?

Reply #752246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go away Perthworld you crass piece of shit

Reply #752369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what did you say you crass piece of shit?

Reply #752390 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"ME and Perthworld take your sexist and misogynistic views elsewhere"

Okay, so simply acknowledging facts is sexist and misogynistic now?

Reply #752392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is a difference between acknowledging facts and being crass and discussing or referring to appendage size etc etc. Either talk about actually things that are relevant to the OP and basketball or go away. No one is really interested in the other garbage.

Reply #752394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^idiot

Reply #752402 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:01 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754